My name is Yvonne Christina Carsley. I was born in Hope Hospital (now called Salford Royal) in the city of Salford in 1977 and from a young age had an interest in all things literary. Always an avid reader my childhood was spent soaking up the tales of Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and Judy Blume. I always loved the way that simple printed words on paper could conjure up such vivid worlds. I rode in the ear of the BFG, shared the power of Matilda, had adventures with the Famous Five and planted seeds in the Secret Garden.
As a teenager my tastes expanded and more often than not I could be discovered anywhere and everywhere with a book in my hand. And it would likely be something by Stephen King. Books have been a major factor in my life but for a while all I did was read them. Though I enjoyed any lesson that involved creative writing I never did it with any serious intention. It was inevitable that this state would change and it did.
As a teenager I went through a typical phase of writing bad poetry. I scribbled endless verses full of anguish and pain, which thankfully I had the good sense to destroy. I then turned my attention to story writing and not certain I could take on the task of a full-sized novel I dabbled in short stories, using them to hone my skills. Nine years ago I decided to take the plunge and began writing my first novel. I haven't looked back since. I have completed a book of poetry and am currently writing my tenth fantasy novel (though this one is kind of in limbo at the moment as I can't quite figure out how to proceed with it).
I still have a liking for poetry and these pieces have been published in anthologies:
- Dark v's Light published in Jewels of the Imagination and also in Memories of the Millennium
- Music published in A New Dawn
- Mother Nature/Father Time published in A Chain of Thoughts
- I Dream published in Poetry Now North West 2003
- Dark Lover published in On-Words and Up-Words
- Gentleman Death published in A Source of Wisdom and also in the second edition of Writers Block
- Love Lost published in Verse and Style
- Fear published in Our Moment in Time
- Teacher published in Bright Voices
- Faith published in Spiritual Reflections October 2006
- Magical Music published in The Resurrected Spirit November 2006
- Listening published in Poetry From Northern England January 2007
- Condition Human Published in Forward Press Poets 2008 - Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland
- Drink of This Published in Forward Press Poets 2009 - UK Inspirations, scheduled for publication on 31st January 2010.
- Summer in England Published in Forward Press Regionals 2010 - The North of England, scheduled for publication on 31st December 2010
- Camera Published in A Voice In The Silence: A Collection Of Poetry, scheduled for publication on 31st January 2012.
My first fantasy novel, The Gathering of the U'Narai, is available for purchase by clicking on the links above, along with my first book of collected poems, The Little Book of Haiku, and a sample of my digital photography work.
I have recently taken a break from writing my fantasy novels in order to concentrate on other projects. I have been writing a new series of books (showcased on a second website) and have tried my hand at script-writing while taking part in a film-making short course run by the CRIS organisation. See Film Projects page for further details. I am also attending a short course in Photoshop run by the Creative Media Centre in Salford (see CMC page for more details).