St Mark's Church at the other end of the village, is a Chapel of Ease, due to the growing population of Binfield, built in 1867. The architect was Sir Arthur Blomfield. It is one of 106 churches built in the diocese of Oxford during the episcopate of Bishop Wilberforce.
The original building had a nave and north aisle only, but in 1875 it was enlarged providing a south aisle. The enlargements and furnishings were funded purely by voluntary contributions and gifts by the parishioners. The font being donated by Mrs. Caswell of The Elms, now known as Monks Alley in loving memory of her son. The font still remains at the church. Colonel and Mrs. Radcliffe gave the carved oak screen, and Mrs. Radcliffe donated the pulpit. The family of Colonel William Godfrey Faussett gave the altar and oak candle standards. Mrs. Gibson of Bracondale gave the priests' and choir stalls, on the floor nearby is a tablet of Cumberland stone in memory of Arthur Sumner Gibson, who was church warden of the parish for twenty years. The list of donations and gifts is endless, both small and large.
Tragically, on the night of Saturday, December 29th 1956, a fire broke out, it was thought in the boiler room, some hours later, it was noticed that smoke was bellowing out from the roof. Unfortunately, much damage was done and by the time the fire brigade was called at 12.15am on Sunday, 30th December, the fire was in full force. The church bell crashed onto the alter steps and flames continued to burn for about another four hours or so.
The damage was extensive, fortunately the pulpit was only charred and was able to be restored in its old position. The pews were saved, but the chancel screen, the altar, the choir stalls and all the furnishings and vestments in the Vestry were destroyed. Most of the windows survived, those in the vestry are bulging as a result of the intense heat. The windows on the north and south sides of the sanctuary could not be saved, nor the centre light of the east window.
Restoration began and happily the church was rededicated on July 28th 1958 by the Right Rev. Eric Knell, Bishop of Reading. The assigned architect was Mr. F Etchells, FRIBA. Up-to-date electric radiators were installed, the old boilers replaced. The decor comprised of a barrel-shaped roof inside, covered in square white panels framed in oak. Plain white tiles laid on the floor and plain light oak choir stalls and altar table have been installed.
A new organ was acquired, made by John Walker & Sons of Chesham and the centre light of the east window by Earthey of Reading. Again donations came in by the generous parishioners. The Cross outside the church is of Portland Stone, it was given to the church by H.E.A. Wiggett of Allanbay in memory of his son, Lieut Allan Wiggett, and the men of Binfield who died in the First World War 1914-18. A tablet has been added with the names of the men of Binfield who died in the last war.
Today, not only church services continue to be held there, but the young children preparing to go onto primary school from Binfield Playgroup, have a chance to practice some of their new writing skills in the Baxtor Room adjoining the church, in the quiet away from the very little ones who run around and play.