Other Sites |
Th Phys | Time |
Dr Stone's Mathematical Aphorisms
Up to Mathematics page.
- 1. Arithmetic is the hardest part of mathematics, because the form of the answer does not show whether it is right or wrong.
- 2. Mathematics is the highest form of art, because it is pure structure.
- 3. When students are taught equivalence relations, they should also be taught the basics of partially ordered sets.
- 4. Trigonometry is part of algebra. (Trigonometrical functions are algebraic expressions in complex numbers.)
- 5. Mathematics is applicable to every subject, because it is so general.
- 6. A mathematics teacher can always tell when it is Monday morning, by the students' questions.
- 7. In scientific theories of the world, the mathematics veils reality.
Copyright (C) Anthony P. Stone 1996. This material may be freely used, provided the author is acknowledged.
Last updated: 9 April 2011