Page created: 2-Sep-06

Re-published: 1-Nov-09


Window Rubber Replacement

Technical: Discovery I
Window Tinting

I've always wanted to have the rear windows of my Discovery tinted - partly for security and partly to reduce heat build-up - but it's generally been quite low on the priority list. The arrival of small children in my life changed that and I arranged for the work to be done.

I originally wanted to use Pentagon Supaglass for its' enhanced security properties, but I was put off by the cost, which is more than three times that of regular film. However, the film I've actually gone for does still provide a degree of extra security as it will hold the glass together if attacked rather than just shattering. It also, of course, reduces visibility into the vehicle in the first place.

I found a local company called Autotint to do the installation and I they were excellent - friendly and very helpful. They even collected the vehicle from my house and returned it to me when complete.

I decided not to go for a very black tint as I didn't think it would look right on my vehicle. Instead, I've had a medium tint, 35% light transmittance film applied to all of the glass from the 'B' pillars back. I probably would have had the front side windows done too, but the Construction & Use regulations were changed in January 2004 to make this illegal.

Installing the film required three different approaches depending on the particular window: for the side doors, the interior trim was removed and the door partially dismantled to enable the glass to be taken out. For the fixed side windows, the existing black border around them meant that the film could be applied with the glass in-situ. For the rear door, the lack of a similar black border meant the glass once again had to be removed but as it's held in by a simple rubber seal it's a lot less time consuming.

Although it's not obvious in the picture below, I didn't have the the film applied to the Alpine lights. This is mainly because the installer said he'd have to remove them to make a decent job of it and I hadn't thought to buy replacement rubbers for these windows (see below). In practice, this isn't much of a problem though, as they're so high up as to be very difficult for anybody to look through.