|Technical: Discovery I|
to buying this vehicle I’d heard one or two stories about Discovery
bonnet catches failing at motorway speeds, with the result that the
bonnet lifts up and slams against the windscreen. I’d also seen
another Discovery fitted with bonnet pins for this very reason, so when
my mine started to exhibit ‘wobbly bonnet syndrome’ at about 70mph
they were the obvious solution.
It’s questionable whether my vehicle would have actually suffered a bonnet catch failure given that it had already covered 111000 uneventful miles before I bought it. But as I intended to do some overland travelling which would involve driving for long periods over rough terrain, I decided it wasn’t worth the risk. I also discovered that they were fitted as standard to Camel Trophy Discovery’s, which was good enough for me!
the bonnet pins wasn't too difficult but did have its’ moments. The
pins themselves were mounted on the bonnet slam panel stiffeners above
the headlights and fitting was simply a case of drilling two holes and
bolting them in. I also fitted a spreader plate underneath each pin,
secured by another bolt, as any load placed on them will be from the
bonnet lifting and trying to pull them through the stiffeners.
next part was the tricky bit as it was necessary to mark the points on
the bonnet where the pins will project through. However, in order to do
this it would be necessary to stand in the engine bay with the bonnet
closed to see where the pins touch. Not really an option without taking
out the engine! My eventual solution may seem a bit drastic but it
worked a treat. I held the bonnet about 12 inches (300mm) above the pins
and, err, dropped it. This had the effect of marking two very small
dents where the points of the pins made contact. It was then a simple
matter of drilling through at the marked positions, shaping the holes to the
slot necessary to accept the tips of the pins and screwing the catches
bonnet was then securely restrained and steady as a rock on the motorway.
The pins and catches were made of stainless steel and still and cost about £16.00 in February 2002.
Page created: 25-Nov-03
Last updated: 16-Oct-2011