Courtesy of Peter Stark
The Nave (facing West).
When you enter the Cathedral, you come into the Nave from the centre of which you can see straight down the length of the Cathedral.
The length of the Cathedral is 87m (285ft); the breadth of the Nave is 20m (63ft) and the height of the Nave roof is 32m (105ft).
The open timber roof is of medieval design and much of the timber may date from the 14th century.
In the foreground (opposite) are two memorial Chairs, on the right for members of the RNVR while the Chair on the left is for the RAFVR.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
The Cathedral has one of the finest collections of modern stained glass windows and nearly all have been installed since 1947. The Great West Window is "The Creation" by Frasic Spear and below it is a modern clock, both installed in 1958.
Great West Door with "The Creation" window and clock above.
"The Creation" window.
The Quire Screen.
QUIRE SCREEN (PULPITUM)
The Quire Screen virtually hides the Quire from the Nave. It dates probably from the 15th century. It is the only screen of its kind left in any secular (non-monastic) church of pre-Reformation date in Scotland.
In the gallery on the pulpitum is the console of the Cathedral organ.
The Organ Pipes.
The Quire (facing East).
The Quire dates from the middle of the 13th century.
The great East Window was installed in 1951 and shows the four Evangelists, St. Matthew, St. mark, St. Luke and St. John each with his traditional emblem. It is by Francis Spear.
The seating is arranged with the pews facing east in manner of Reformed worship. These pews, together with the carved stalls in the in the north and south aisles were originally installed between 1851-1856. They were refashioned in 1957, many institutions and organisations contributing to the cost.
The Quire (facing West).
The oak boarded ceiling, renewed in 1910-1912, has three rows of carved and painted bosses.
The oak boarded ceiling above the Quire.
On the east side of the pulpitum under the gallery are the colours of the 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards, later to become the Scots Guards.
Under the Quire Screen arch on its south side a framed descriptive note tells that Colonel Samuel Dalrymple of the 3rd Regiment commanded the Detachment of the Brigade of Guards who carried the King's colour in Egypt in 1801. The colours were given to the Cathedral in 1921.
The Royal Pew.
The 17th century monument of Archbishop James Law (1615-1632) almost completely conceals the windows in the Chapel of St. Stephen and St. Lawrence. Archbishop Law was a former Minister of Kirkliston and Bishop of Orkney before becoming Archbishop of Glasgow. He completed the renewal of the lead roof of the Cathedral, which had been started by Archbishop John Spottiswood (1603-1615) following the depredations in the time of the Reformation. He also made generous benefactions to schools and hospitals in Glasgow.
The Law Monument.
The monument was given by his wife, Marion Boyle, daughter of John Boyle of Kelburn.
THE TRADES HOUSE WINDOW
The second window in the South Aisle is shows the arms of the Trades House of Glasgow whose forbears, according to tradition, saved the Cathedral from destruction at the hands of a mob in Reformation times.
The Trades House window.
The arms of each of the fourteen Incorporated Trades are also shown. Several of these received their charter from pre-reformation Archbishops of Glasgow.
The Trades House presented the window.
THE TOMB OF ST. MUNGO
The Tomb stands in a space formed by four columns directly below the site of the altar above and is designed to carry its weight.
The colourful, embroidered cloth and six kneelers, designed by Malcolm Lochead, were made and given by Embroiders' Guild (West of Scotland Branch) and were dedicated on 12th April, 1973 in the presence of HRH the Princess Margaret.
The cloth is composed of 2864 patches in 28 shades of Sekers silk, with applied motifs of gold and silver kid and laidwork.
West face of St Mungo's Tomb.
The orange side, facing west, symbolises an open furnace with the cross in the centre. Superimposed is a design, which combines a golden Burning Bush and St. Mungo's Tree, whose structure also recalls the shipyard cranes on the Clyde.
East face of St Mungo's Tomb.
The side panels, north and south, symbolise Flight, inpsired by the bird of St. Mungo legend. The predominant green facing east recalls the Clyde with the silver of St. Mungo's fish and bell. Ships' rigging is the basis of the design for the six kneelers.
The vaulted ceiling of the Lower Church.
The Blacader Aisle.
THE BLACADER (or BLACKADDER) AISLE
This aisle, probably intended as an undercroft for a chapel above, is said to occupy the site of the cemetery consecrated at the beginning of the 5th century by St. Ninian.
It now stands as it was built during the primacy of Archbishop Blacader. The ceiling displays a number of carved bosses of late medieval character.
The Blacader Aisle.