Railway page 3
This was the
west branch - St James, Ferguslie , Stanely, and
Glenfield stations were on this, with sidings to
Roots car plant at Linwood , the brick works at
Fulbar Road, Chain Road Goods Yard, Meikleriggs
Goods Yard and Glenfield bleach works.
Satellite - from St James (top right) to
Ferguslie station (bottom left) near Aldi at
Linwood Road end. Old railway bridges can still
be seen in Ferguslie Park.
James was part of the Paisley
and Barrhead District Railway and also on the
main Gourock line from Glasgow as it still is.
The junction of the two can be seen in the
photograph on the left.
This is the site of Ferguslie Station with the
Paisley to Ayr line in background from the cycle
track (originally the Paisley Canal Line, which
ran above the station). The former Glasgow
Corporation tram terminal was on vacant ground to
the left out of picture behind Newton Terrace.
The Aldi shop on the main road to Elderslie can
be seen on the right. The track went over the
main road by means of a bridge.
The amazing pictures below were taken at
Ferguslie station with the Scottish Rambler in
April 1965. The Paisley Canal line is in the
background. It looks like an excursion with
passengers having a look about. The locomotive
was called a 'Jones Goods'.
These are photos taken in the 1950s.
railway then made its way through Foxbar, running
parallel to Fulbar Road skirting
Elderslie golf course, along Morar Drive past the
Foxbar clinic then behind the telephone exchange,
Old Gleniffer High (Camphill) school and Stanely
Firs pub on Amochrie Road.
satellite picture below, the key is
of Ferguslie Station
shop on Paisley to Elderslie Road
telephone exchange (now Gleniffer High)
Gleniffer High ( Camphill)
Stanely Firs pub
of Stanely Station
to Alisdair Wham in his book Lost Railway Lines
South of Glasgow, Stanely Station was directly to
the south (toward the braes) of the castle in
Stanely Dam. Vic at paisley.org has kindly
allowed the use of the photographs below which
show the platfom and an excellent guide to the
position of the station and the line.
remarkable picture below is from David Rowand's
book 'Paisley Pictorial History' and shows an
army regiment camping around 1900 in Donaldswood
at what became St. Aelred's school before going
to the Boer War. The road in the photograph is
Gleniffer Road; Stanely Dam is to the right and
the railway line can be seen running along the
centre of the picture from right to left. The
picture was of the line between Stanely and
Glenfield stations. Glenfield would have been
just off to the left.
Station was on (what is now) Glenburn Road
opposite Knockside Avenue (see right hand picture
below). Amazingly the station was rented out as a
private house while goods trains were still using
the line !! Apparently there was a siding into
the former nearby bleach works. There
is an excellent picture of Glenfield
Station in another David Rowand book, 'Paisley'
with a train carrying passengers in a
special train enthusiast excursion in 1951
the right hand photo above, a Glasgow University
Railway Society train is running alongside
Glenburn Road. Below are two current views of the
station which is easy to find in the trees as the
platform is intact and very long.
There is a record at the
National Archives of Scotland showing that
William Fulton & Sons built an embankment at
Glenfield Station. It is believed they used the
Here are some local memories. Thanks to Michael
Campbell and Tommy from the Paisley.org forum.
Fereneze bus used to terminus at a roundabout
next to the Mormon Church, and from there you
could walk under a bridge and through what we
called the 'old mills'. Next to the bridge and
joined by a steep ash embankment was what we
called the 'dummy railway' which was a concrete
platform with a sort of concrete supports for an
angled roof. There were tall trees on the
embankment which we could tie tree swing to. The
pigeon lofts were just along from this, and also
looked down on the road from the embankment
platform was used by a train which ran between
Barhead and Bishopton munitions works,I remember
getting a ride on it with my schoolmates when
coming home from the Lochfield. It stopped at the
station at Braehead,where the driver and fireman
had a cuppa with the people that lived there. The
ash bank at the Fereneze station had pieces of
cordite in it,probably from the munitions
train,we used to gather it,wrap it in paper and
set fire to it,it went off like a squib.
relates that St Peter's scout troop bought
the station at one point with a view to making it
their scout hut but it was too much in need of
repair and it never came to anything. Below is
the station today.
The Glenfield Road to Glenburn Road cycle track
is shown below. This was built along the route of
the railway from Glenburn to Barrhead. Glenfield
station was at the bottom of the hill, a short
distance up Glenburn Road from where the cycle
track ends. This seems to be the start of a
bigger plan to link Foxbar and Hawkhead with a
walking / cycling track. The second picture is
the bridge where the line passed under Caplethill
branch closed in stages. Meikleriggs Goods Yard
on 6 September 1954, Ferguslie Chain Road on 28
October 1963, Rootes' Siding on 30 September
1968, Linwood 21 October 1984.
below to go back to the other pages.
page 1 page 2 page 4