Paisley and Renfrew
The original terminus station
in Paisley was at Hamilton Street where the car
showroom opposite Halfords is now, but this was
replaced by Abercorn station on Renfrew Road when
the railway was connected to the Paisley -
Glasgow line at Arkleston junction. It ran to
Renfrew Wharf at the River Clyde through
Sandyford, Renfrew South, Renfrew Porterfield ,
Renfrew Fulbar Street and King's Inch. A freight
branch led off to the Cart Harbour in Paisley.
The station is shown in the
middle left on an Ordnance Survey map of 1923
below, still with tracks in situ; it is marked as
a goods station. The line to Arkleston from
Abercorn is also there.
The line was closed to
passengers on 5 June 1967 as part of the Beeching
cuts and to freight traffic in 1981, with the
track being lifted in 1986. Paisley Abercorn
station goods yard was where the Focus DIY shop
is now and was demolished in March 1977 (see
picture top right below).
the mouse at the pictures for a description,
click for a full size version (opens in new
window). If the text disappears, move the mouse
to another picture then back again.