This railway ran from
Paisley West station in Maxwellton Street (also
on the Canal line) to Barrhead Central. The line
went round the back of Meikleriggs cricket
ground, across Corsebar Road, beneath Stanely
Road to the strip of land between Bushes Avenue
and Stanely Drive, behind the houses on the south
side of Falside Road then to the former Cadbury's
depot (now houses) on Neilston Road and the
adjacent Potterhill station.
In the 1950's, a coal
train ran mid morning, usually about eight to ten
wagons . One or two days a week it continued
beyond Potterhill to Glenfield and came back an
hour or so later. After the coal depot closed
Cadburys built their distribution depot on the
site . Potterhill Station opened on 1 June 1886
and closed on 1 January 1917, services between
Barrhead and Potterhill having ended in 1913.
Freight traffic continued to Cadburys until 1970.
Point the mouse at the
pictures for a description, click for a full size
version (opens in new window). If the text
disappears, move the mouse to another picture
then back again.
Picture 1 above - Google
Satellite - Potterhill line (line of trees). From
meikleriggs/ferguslie cricket ground (top left)
to Gleniffer siding (bottom right).
Picture 2 - Google
Satellite - Potterhill branch (line of trees)
curves from top left - meikleriggs/ferguslie
cricket ground - to bottom right - Potterhill
station (private house) next to Cadbury's factory
(recently demolished). There is a break at
Falside Road / Park Road junction. It originates
at Paisley West station and ends at Barrhead Central.
Picture 3 - Google
Satellite - the Potterhill line curving in to its
Gleniffer depot (not to be confused with
Glenfield station on the Paisley and Barrhead
District Railway which can be seen at the other
side of the reservoir at the bottom left of the
Picture 4 - The area with the
railway can be seen in a 1931 scout map , the
split with the Canal line is visible as is the
curve round the cricket ground and the bridge
crossing Corsebar Road.
The photographs below
are of Coresbar Junction which connected the
Canal Line to the Potterhill Branch.
Below are the remains of a bridge at
the junction of Coresbar Road and Victoria Road
near the RAH hospital. The second photo is a
short tunnel under Stanely Road near Corsebar
Drive, the road is still used today. The other
side is very deep and the blue metal safety
railing can be seen in the photograph.
Below is Potterhill station in 1955 and secondly
in 2006. It can be easily seen from Neilston Road
and is still very recognisable as a station and
has the address "Potterhill Station" !
It is now occupied by a business.
The railway goes under Neilston
Road at the top of the hill at Thornley Park
Avenue. The first few feet have been filled in
but beyond there is a very steep drop . The left
hand photograph shows the bridge on the other
other side of Neilston Road opposite Thornley
Park Avenue, the ground there has been filled in
up to the level of the bridge.
There is a large stone
bridge perhaps 50 feet high close to the bottom
of Stoney Brae at the end and to the right of the
culdesac of new houses. Apparently scouts used it
for absailing at one time.
The track can be followed further
south in the fields between Caplethill Road at
Brownside Farm (opposite the university halls of
residence) and the new estate at Newburgh Drive,
formerly the site of Fulton's Glenfield works.
This works was founded in the 1820s as a
bleachworks, and largely rebuilt in 1879 and
later. It was latterly owned by William Fulton
& Sons Ltd, scourers, dyers and finishers,
who used soft water from the Gleniffer Braes in
There is at least one very deep natural ravine as
well as the railway bridges and cuttings in the
area so it pays to be cautious.A new tarmac path
has recently been built from Glenfield Road past
the bridge in the left hand picture below so it's
easy to find.
Glasgow tram on Route 28 (Renfrew Ferry to
Spiersbridge via Barrhead) taken on single track
section in Caplethill Road. The line into the
Gleniffer depot over the bridge is behind the
Barrhead Central Station, it was demolished
in the early 1950s