This incredible picture is Provest James Clark,
on 27th May 1882, the last day of the canal
before work began to convert it into a railway.
He is looking up toward his home, Chapel House.
The path on the right is recogniseable today,
leading up to the railway bridge at Patrick
Street which replaced the one shown.
mouse at the pictures for a description, click
for a full size version (opens in new window). If
the text disappears, move the mouse to another
picture then back again.
The Paisley Canal
Railway line was originally a canal which ran
from Glasgow to Johnstone and the area to the
west of the old Canal Street Station (now
Castlegait ) was the site of a terrible disaster
in 1810 which claimed 85 lives. Read about it here.
route was taken over in 1882 by Glasgow and South
Western Railway and became a branch line running
from Glasgow through three stations in Paisley
(Paisley Canal , Paisley West and Hawkhead) to
North Johnstone. Trains ran to Kilmacolm and
Greenock by connections to other railways. The
Kilbarchan loop line is now the National cycle
track to Lochwinnoch. The remains of Kilbarchan
station are still there. The photographs below
are exactly 100 years apart. There are proposals
to re-open the line from Paisley to Elderslie.
Passenger services (to Kilmacolm) ended on 10
January 1983, freight in 1986. The line reopened
on 27 July 1990 and now runs from Glasgow Central
station to the new Paisley Canal Station. The
bridge over the River Cart in the right hand
photograph below is the oldest railway bridge in
the world still used by trains. It was built by
Thomas Telford in 1810 and originally carried the
original station was opened on 1 July 1885 and
closed to passengers on 10 January 1983.
a wonderful photo of the station staff.
Station (coal yard)
Seven years later a new train service was
commenced on 28 July 1990. As the original
station site had been sold and the platforms
filled in, a new platform to the east of the
Causeyside Street overbridge was constructed
within the railway cutting.
was close to the site of the current Canal
station. The probable remains are on the left
below with the Saucel
Distillery in the
background. There also seems to have been sidings
for other industry at Lonend. The back of
Gleniffer Soap Works is in the photo on the
was also an iron works, shipyard and bedding
factory in the immediate area.
Here is a 1949 aerial photograph.
station opened on 1 May 1894 and was closed on 1
January 1917. It was later re-opened by the
British Transport Commission and was closed to
passengers on 14 February 1966.
A newly-built station opened in 12 April 1991 on
the other side of Hawkhead Road.
West was the next station along from Paisley
Canal on the Glasgow and South-Western Railway.
It can be now be seen in Maxwellton Street in a
low level cutting on the cycle track that was the
route of the Canal line. It was also on the
Potterhill branch line to Barrhead. The station
opened on 1 June 1897, and closed on 14 February
(very few) remains of the station can be seen on
the left below. There is a ramp down from
Maxwellton Street near the high flats to the
cycle track where the first photograph was taken.
The second one looks back along the cycle track
toward the Maxwellton high flats.