Dummy Railway page 2
East to Dykebar
a very costly operation which included the
building of 15 bridges , an enormous wall down
the length of Lacy Street , three signal boxes
and two stations at Dykebar and Paisley East. The
high level Paisley East section along the wall
was never used, however the branch continued into
Paisley East Goods (which contained a coal depot)
at Cecil Street crossing Lacy Street at street
level with the aid of a level crossing.
situated on the north side of Glasgow Road on the
site of what became the Kelburn cinema, now the
Kelburn Retirement Flats near the Sherwood
Church. The station was first turned into a
garage then demolished in 1928.
left hand pictures below are of a special train
enthusiast excursion in 1951 leaving Paisley East
goods yard (including John Lyon's coal depot)
which was situated to the north of Cecil Street
and basically at the other side of Glasgow Road
from the station. The bridge over Lacy Street to
Paisley East had obviously been removed by that
time. There was a military barracks at the same
side of Lacy Street .
location of the station and the goods yard can be
fixed today because the John
shop is still there with a lion above the
entrance. It is now a hairdresser's. A google
satellite photo in the middle shows the
approximate position of the station at the other
side of Glasgow Road. Thanks to Colin Miller for
the information and photograph.
A 1949 aerial photo with the Dummy Railway wall
up Lacy Street (middle right to left), the
Grammar school, the Kelburne Cinema and the
Sherwood Church. The railway can be seen leaving
the back of the cinema.
next photograph, taken in February 1960 shows two
men crossing the bridge over Seedhill Road which
was apparently a favourite shortcut from
Hunterhill. Only one train a day made its way
from Barrhead so it was safe as long as you knew
when it left and returned. The high level route
to Paisley East can be seen fenced off and the
low level line into the coal yard is on the left.
there, the railway crossed the Canal line at the
other side of Seedhill Road (the remains of the
bridge can still be seen) and crossed the River
Cart only a hundred yards or so from the Canal
line behind the Hunterhill high flats. The bridge
was demolished in the late '60s but a platform
has been built allowing viewing of the river and
the other side of the bridge which is now beside
the Ciba Geigy factory. See photograph and
satellite image below. Anecdotal evidence suggest
there was a siding into what was once Jenny's
Well laundry. The buildings are visible in the
right hand satellite photo at the river. The area
with the railway can be seen in a 1931 scout map
on the right.
route came through the back of what is now
Dobbie's garden centre . The remains of a bridge
at the pedestrian crossing on Hawkhead Road near
the Barrhead Road roundabout can be seen below.
station was only a few yards from the bridge on
Hawkhead Road. The station was converted to a
two-room and kitchen house before being
dismantled by vandals in the late 1960s. The
three pictures below are of the station platform
with the station building and a passenger shelter
which has 'Dykebar' on the front. The back
entrance to Ross House and a distinctive wall
which is still partially intact can be seen
behind the shelter. The first one is from 1964
when the line was disused, the second two from
1960 just before it closed.
photographer of the first picture Colin Miller
relates that the area adjacent to the station was
originally a rugby pitch for
Craigielee Rugby Club before they moved to
Seedhill. They merged with Old Grammarians to
become Paisley Rugby Club now based at Blackhall.
The pitch was then used for football. He also
recalls that 'the street level station building
was incorporated in the abutment of the bridge on
the Barrhead side of the road. There was if
memory serves an arched window of considerable
size which must have been an office of some
sort and alongside was the foot of the
stairs which led on to the platform - you came up
out in between railings at the top.'
actually what looks like a railway bridge in the
middle of the field behind where the station was,
as well as what looks like a former trackbed
nearby (right middle and left below). The only
structure on the site of the station is the wall
in the middle left picture. The fence visible
behind it was roughly on the outer edge of the
railway line. The position of Ross House
pinpoints the location of the station (left
below). The railway embankment can easily be seen
opposite the new St Andrews Academy school on Ben
Nevis Road in the Hawkhead estate (right below)
and there was also a bridge across the Hurlet
Road near the Barrhead Road roundabout .
certainly can remember a goods train which came
from Paisley and delivered coal to Dykebar
Hospital, Barrhead Gasworks and finally to
Barrhead South Station where it delivered wagons
of coal to Thos. Mcdonald Ltd and tankers of tar
to the Dussick & Bitumen Co. Ltd. It also
made the odd delivery of draff to West Arthurlie
farm. This was used as cattle feed."
Taken from a Barrhead history website
satellite image above shows the line curving in.
still a train shed in the grounds beside the
boiler house. The railway entrance is now the
main entrance and the original ornate gates (a
few yards away) are closed.
possible to follow the route of the former
railway from the River Cart crossing to
Grahamston Road on the current online Ordnance
Survey map by entering grid reference NS502626
and from there to Blackbyres at NS502610 where it
is labelled a 'dismantled railway'.
from Blackbyres to Paisley East goods closed on
31 December 1960.
Click below to move to
the other pages
page 1 page 3 page 4