The current Digitarium lineup includes current models Zeta and Gamma for the main portable dome market and Epsilon or Kappa for the fixed domes. Now available from late 2012 a basic model Delta2. However all models can be used in portable or fixed dome situations with different configurations.
The Digitarium lineup includes a number of base models with configurations for fixed or portable domes. This page contains general Digitarium information and specifications (scroll down). For model specific details click on the model names in the table below. (US prices are shown)
Shipping and customs TAX is payable on import from the US. Further VAT TAX depends on your country's rules.
For the UK we have an all inclusive price for the ZETA PORTABLE, as we have the unit in stock in the UK and are immediately available (March2013). Price includes international shipping from the US, export and import fees (Customs EC Duty tax), airport handling charges and the cost of a wheeled dome case. VAT is payable on the price however and is shown in Sterling Pounds GBP.
Price: Zeta Portable Digitarium £22,500 GBP + VAT. (excludes UK site delivery £95).
The Zeta Portable can be exported to the EC from the UK --with the cost of shipment to your site payable. Delivery to the EC would be based on UPS rates.
A planetarium helps students grasp abstract astronomical concepts and can spark enjoyment and interest in science. Digitarium digital planetarium systems stand out in price and performance, putting a full-featured planetarium within reach.
Digitarium models are available in either a portable or a fixed configuration. Set up the portable version of this projector and a Digitalis inflatable dome in a gym for an instant planetarium. Portability and ease of set up and use allow you to share one system and its cost with other area groups.
The fixed versions are designed to be bolted down for permanent installation in a fixed dome, with the Digitarium Alpha 2+ suitable for domes up to approximately 56 feet/17 meters in diameter. Digitarium systems offer an enormous range of features at a fraction of the cost of other fixed dome projectors.
Think of the possibilities of having your own easy to use, full-featured planetarium at your disposal. Avoid the headache and expense of organizing a fieldtrip to an off-site planetarium. You can use your projector as often as you need to cover your subject matter fully, and you can tailor your lessons to your students.
Digitarium systems offer advanced features to excite and engage your students. Zoom in on and label any object; demonstrate annual motion; display constellations from many cultures ; and much more. The system's vast capabilities make it relevant for audiences of all ages. Project your own content on any subject.
Digital technology makes these systems significantly more powerful than analog ("pinhole") portable planetariums you may be familiar with. Think of the power of a computer versus a slide projector.
Affordable and flexible, a Digitarium digital planetarium system will revolutionize your astronomy teaching.
A number of features make our Digitarium system stand apart from other digital planetarium systems:
- Best usability. We believe our unique handheld, backlit remote control offers the best usability in the industry. It is easy to learn and use, and icons make it intuitive for any user around the world. With no separate control computer required, educators are liberated from complex software interfaces, aren't tethered to the projector, don't need to block audience sight lines, and need only a fraction of the setup time. Devote your attention to your students rather than your system.
- Lowest training costs. Due to its excellent usability, no special operator training is required other than reading how to set up and put away the system. Our free lesson plans can get you started teaching right away.
- Fast setup/takedown time. With the portable version, from the moment you open the transit case until the sky is projected on the dome takes only a couple of minutes. Takedown requires about the same amount of time.
- Full sky projection. We believe projecting the full horizon is critical for effective planetarium teaching. If parts of the sky are missing, not only is it harder for students to orient themselves, but it places limitations on what you can demonstrate easily.
- Reliable. The Digitarium systems do not use laptops which could overheat, nor mechanical hard drives, which will eventually fail. Our two year limited warranty is twice as long as that of most other sytems.
- No software headaches. We manage your software for you, so you don't have to worry about it. We fix bugs and add features over time, and all you have to do is connect your system to an ethernet network and ask it to update itself. Software updates don't require hardware upgrades as one competitor cautions.
- Unique software expertise. We are one of the main developers of the open source planetarium software that we use, Nightshade. Unlike many competitors, this means we are intimately familiar with the planetarium software in our systems. We can easily fix bugs, add features, and make these changes available to our users.
- Most cost effective full-sky digital planetarium system. We designed from the start for higher volume, lower overhead production and distribution, and lower pricing than our competitors in order to put our tools within reach of most educational institutions. Even at an affordable price, we believe it matches or outperforms many more expensive models on the most important criteria for practical astronomy education. We invite you to compare competing products and see this value for yourself.
- The market leader. You don't have to take our word that we have the best portable planetarium for astronomy educators. Our Digitarium systems are the best selling portable digital planetarium systems in the world. With the first model introduced in late 2003, we now have users across five continents.
- Demonstrate beginning through advanced astronomy concepts.
- Simulate the sky from any point on Earth or from other planets and moons.
- Move forward or backward in time at varying speeds.
- Show annual motion, including retrograde planetary motion. (No portable analog system can demonstrate annual motion!)
- Show the effects of precession of the equinoxes over time.
- Simulate celestial phenomena such as transits, eclipses, and meteor showers.
- Display orbits of the planets.
- Display paths of the planets against the stars.
- Display ecliptic, celestial equator, meridian, and equatorial and azimuthal grids.
- Show the entire celestial sphere with ONE piece of equipment.
- Experience atmospheric effects, such as sunsets or a blue sky (or turn off the atmosphere to view the stars during the day).
- Zoom in on or label items of interest.
- View actual images of more than 100 deep space objects in situ.
- Show constellation outlines, names, and artwork one at a time or all at once.
- Show constellations from multiple cultures (currently Western, Polynesian, Chinese, Navajo, ancient Egyptian, Lakota, and Inuit).
- Label the sky in different languages, including Hawaiian.
- Easily project your own image or video content using a USB thumb drive or the integrated DVD drive.
- Use the video-in port to project other applications from a separate computer, if desired.
- Play fulldome video shows with 5.1 channel surround sound support.
- Use the powerful scripting feature to create your own shows, short segments, or special effects.
- Easy, automated software upgrades over the Internet keep you up to date with the latest features.
- One projector does it all. No need for constellation projectors, slide projectors, multiple cylinders, etc.
- Remote control with backlit buttons works from anywhere in the dome. No need to hover over the projector and block your audience's view.
Quick and Easy
- Our unique backlit handheld remote control is the easiest interface to learn and use. No separate computer or extensive training is required.
- Plug it in, turn it on, and you're ready to project in about one minute.
- Start up to your default settings for latitude, longitude, sky time, and more.
- Automatic positioning and phasing of celestial objects.
- It's so straightforward, you don't need to be an astronomer to run it!
- Low maintenance.
- No laptops to overheat or mechanical hard drives to fail
- Two year limited warranty (DLP projection component is warranted through Panasonic.)
- Countdown of projector bulb life helps avoid the surprise of a burned out bulb.
- Modern fixed planetarium features at a fraction of the cost.
- Opportunity to generate extra revenue introducing the Digitarium to other interested organizations.