Cable Modem Troubleshooting Tips
Introduction and Index
This site covers some of the technical issues which can arise when troubleshooting a cable modem connection (including broadband via digital TV set top box) on the NTLworld and Telewest Blueyonder services in the UK and Ireland. Information specific to NTL has a green background, and information specific to Blueyonder has a blue background. Otherwise, information not on one of those backgrounds should be valid for most cable operators world-wide, although appropriate allowances might need to be made to adjust for local circumstances. Much of the information on this site is also applicable to other forms of broadband connection, such as ADSL, but ADSL-specific issues are not addressed.
Please send feedback to Robin Walker, email@example.com
The URL http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html points to the most recent update of this site, should you be reading a printed or mirrored version. See the copyright statement.
Scroll down for the complete contents list.
Articles on this site:
- Installer issues (BroadJump, Virtual Truck, Correct Connect):
- Registration issues:
- Network configuration setup for the PC:
- Mobile configuration: notebook swapping between work and home
- Flashing lights on the cable modem and what they mean
- Finding IP addresses:
- Finding MAC addresses:
- No connectivity at all - what and how to check
- System updates and patches important for cable connections.
- Networking tweaks that affect performance or latency
- Ethernet issues:
- USB issues:
- Surfboard tips:
- Cable modem signal levels: how to read, and how they affect performance and packet-loss
- Cable modem configuration file: quality of service
- How the cable modem works: tech info
- DHCP issues:
- DNS issues:
- Web Proxy issues:
- Streaming media:
- On-line games: settings that affect performance, lag times, and pings
- Peer-to-Peer file sharing: settings that affect performance
- SETI@home issues: work around connection errors
- Faster web browsing: settings that affect performance
- Faster downloads: strategies to get good speeds
- Simultaneous download and upload: how to avoid performance hits
- Swapping PCs on the cable modem: how to restore lost connection
- Sharing a cable modem between multiple PCs and Home LANs:
- Simultaneous dial-up modem and cable modem: setting default route
- VPN issues: some problems
- Time Synchronisation: keep your clock correct, for ever, from cable time.
- Security and viruses: avoiding infection.
- Security and firewalls: how to protect your PC(s) from intrusion.
- Speed Tests: limitations and comparisons
- Latency issues: understanding, diagnosing, fixing.
- Traceroute: how to perform one, and how they can mislead
- Packet Loss: understanding, diagnosing, fixing.
- FrontPage: using with servers not supporting FrontPage Extensions.
- Cable modem technical support: how to obtain Updated 2006 Apr 23
Return to Index.