After the plots were sold to Thomas Colledge and John Guy in 1877, further sales of plots took place. In 1880, Thomas Colledge and the trustees of John Guy, who had since died, sold plots 20, 21, 22 and 23 to David Livingston, a joiner of Pollokshaws. The document requires Livingston to build houses on these plots within a year, and to pay some of the resulting rents to Colledge and Guy's trustees.
The 1881 census shows that houses had been built on plots 22 and 23. Residents were a Brash family and a Hart family respectively. Plots 20 and 21 are listed simply as "Houses being built". David Livingston himself was not living in any of the houses in Mansewood in 1881, although he does appear in 1914. The widow and family of John Guy are resident in Ferncliff on Thornliebank Road (Plot 16). Unsurprisingly, the widow Guy's occupation is given as "income derived from interest of money".
The census records show Thomas Colledge to be living at Haggs Castle with his sister. Interestingly, a Francis S. Colledge, Civil Engineer, was living in Mansewood in a house named Little Wood. It is not known which house that is.
David Livingston was living at 42 Pollok Street, Pollokshaws, his occupation being shown as "Provost Wright employing 4 men and 8 apprentices". David's son was a Robert Livingstone, apprentice at law, which may identify him as one of the signatories to the legal document, where he is said to be an apprentice. It may be possible that he was apprenticed in the offices of Thomas Colledge.
As far as can be ascertained from the 1881 census, there were 26 properties, including the uninhabited ones, the manse and the house next to the church. Later information refers to a house where the school is now, which may also be included in the data.
The full 1881 census listing shows the names, occupations, ages and birthplaces for all residents, and can be seen by clicking here. An extract is shown below, with the house name or description, the family name, and other points of interest. Please note that spellings have been used exactly as shown in the transcription of the 1881 census data, except where the intended spelling is obvious (e.g. "cemetary" was replaced with "cemetery").
Dwelling: Burnfield: Thomas ROBERTSON Cemetery Keeper
This may be the house still standing within the grounds of Eastwood Cemetery,
on the Thornliebank side of the railway bridge, or a property no longer standing
in the older part of the cemetery on the other side of Thornliebank Road near
the playing fields.
Dwelling: Eastwood Manse: George CAMPBELL, Minister Of Eastwood Parish
Living with George were his wife, eight children and two servants.
Dwelling: Mansewood Littlewood: Francis S. COLLEDGE, Civil Engineer
Francis seems likely to have a relative of Thomas Colledge, who, with John
Guy, bought the land from the church for development in 1877.
Dwelling: Auld House: John MORRISON, Master Mason Employ 70 Men 22 Boys
This is probably the old building on the other side of Thornliebank Road, the
second oldest house in Glasgow. John lived here with his wife, eight
children and one servant.
Dwelling: Auld House Stables: Thomas FORBES, Gardener & Domestic Servant
The location of this property is not known.
Dwelling: Mansewood Torrance Lodge: Henry FERRY, Brewers Agent
Dwelling: Mansewood Charles Wood: James M. DUNLOP, Minister Of Pollokshaws U P Church
Dwelling: Mansewood Minerva House: John EDGER, Bedding Manufacturer Employ 19 Men & 32 Women
Dwelling: Mansewood Gowan Brea: Nicol CAMERON, House Factors Auctioneer
Dwelling: Mansewood Ivy Cottage: William Jas. MUMFORD, Surveyor To Lloyds Register
The name of this house is still discernible on the gatepost of the house in Hillside Road.
Dwelling: Mansewood Springfield Villa: James SPENCER, Ship Owner
Dwelling: Mansewood Bremner Lodge: Alfred R. NEWMAN, Antifouling Compass Manufacturer
Dwelling: Mansewood Lang Bank: Archibald BLAIR, Insurance Manager
Building: Mansewood Lang Bank UNINHABITED (2 HOUSES)
As other houses were still being built at this time, it seems likely that these houses were not yet ready for habitation.
Dwelling: Mansewood Rose Bank: Daniel DUNCAN, Wine Merchant
Dwelling: Mansewood Wood Vale: Martha A. HAY. Manufacturers Wife
Dwelling: Mansewood Ferncliff: Agnes H. GUY, Income Derived From Interest Of Money
This is the widow of John Guy, one of the original developers. Since he and Thomas Colledge bought and developed 24 plots in the area, and Agnes is shown elsewhere to be his beneficiary, it is not surprising that she could list her occupation as "Income Derived From Interest Of Money".
The house name "Ferncliff" can still be discerned above the bricked
up gateway to the plot at the Pollokshaws end of Mansewood on Thornliebank
Road. Ironically, the house of the original developer no longer stands,
having been replaced by a modern house.
Dwelling: Mansewood Delewan Villa: James MORTON, Shipstore Merchant & Shipowner
This house must be that still named "Delaware" at 18 - 20 Hillside
Dwelling: Kirkhill Villa: William KING, Master Bleacher & Finisher Of Cotton Yards
Three of William King's sons have the occupations "Clerk In Bleach Field", "Muslin Warehouseman", "Clerk In Calico Print Warehouse". There are bleachfields by the Auldhouse burn shown on the first edition Ordnance Survey map. Pollokshaws was a noted location for various industries related to the manufacture and finishing of textiles.
This plot was already labelled "William King" at the time when the
other plots were sold to Thomas Colledge and John Guy in 1877. This is the
house now known as 18 Mansewood Road.
Dwelling: Vadde Therma: David REID, Wine & Spirit Merchant
This is now 22 Mansewood Road. The unusual name was in fact a mis-spelling of "Vaddi Tharma", an anagram of "David Martha", the forenames of the owner and his wife.
This plot is labelled "David Reid" in the 1877 map among the documents related to the sale of the other plots to Thomas Colledge and John Guy.
It is not clear why the neighbouring plots have been given the same name by
the census taker.
Building: Vadde Therma BEING BUILT (2 HOUSES)
These plots are now occupied by 26 and 30 Mansewood Road.
Dwelling: Mansewood: John BRASH, Fancy Box Maker Master Employing 20 Girls & 4 Men
This is the house at 32 Mansewood Road, known as The Wern.
Note the presence of another "Fancy Box Maker" a few doors along the road.
Dwelling: Mansewood: David HART, Clothier
This is the property now known as 38 - 40 Mansewood Road.
Dwelling: Mansewood Fairview: Thomas DRUMMOND, Fancy Box Maker
This is 42 Mansewood Road.
Dwelling: Mansewood Fairview: Mathew CONNELL, Measurer In Business For Self
It is not clear what a Measurer is, but Matthew's son's occupation is given as "Measurer's Assistant".
Matthew Connell's name appears in this plot, and the following one in the 1877 map of the area, indicating that he possessed these plots before the others were sold to Thomas Colledge and John Guy.
This is 44 - 46 Mansewood Road.
Dwelling: Hillhead Lodge: John GRANT, Joiner
This is 48 Mansewood Road.
Dwelling: Eastwood Church Cottage: James NEILSON Church Officer
This may be the property still standing next to the church, but the 1877 map shows no building where this one stands, but a small building on the other side of the church.