Photo File



Brian Foote in Canterbury Crusaders colours

Following in the footsteps of his cousin Ray Wilson - an English international - Brian Foote began riding at Leicester towards the end of of 1968. At one time he was sent to Teesside to ride for the Second Division side when they were struck by injury but made only league outing in 1968. Usually he was confined to the occasional second half at Leicester. During the winter he regularly drove from his Mitcham, Surrey, home to practice at Long Eaton and was fixed up with a place at Canterbury for the beginning of 1969. Quickly relegated to  second half races, Romford took him over, with a promise from his uncle, Leicester promoter Ron Wilson,  that he would not be recalled to Leicester and that he would stay at Brooklands for 'at least two seasons, no matter how well he performed'.  

A labourer by trade with his father's building firm, Brian came into the Bombers side but lost his place mid-season when troubled by a knee injury. He dropped back into the second half  and immediately showed a drastic improvement. An improvement that saw him quickly back into the side. And from then onward he didn't look back scoring a succession of double figure scores climaxed by the paid 15 maximum in the vital match against Teesside. In only his first full season of speedway racing, Brian had picked up his first ever maximum and by the end of the year was challenging for a heat-leader place.

Brian Foote moved to Rayleigh (and later Rye House)

1970 saw Brian record early season double figure scores against Berwick and King's Lynn, followed by his first full maximum against Peterborough. Young England International honours followed for Foote in the series against Young Czechoslovakia. His steady progress was maintained in the following season but came to a temporary halt when he suffered a broken collar bone during a round of a four-team tournament in August. Brian returned to action a month later and ended the year with an average of 8 points.

Brian remained a Bomber at the beginning of 1972, moving to West Ham, where he found the Custom House track to his liking. He held the Div. 2 track record for a time and topped the averages when closure came. Brian was recalled to Leicester, who loaned him to Bombers' old rivals Rayleigh. Foote was an immediate success with the Rockets and he was appointed captain, moving with them to Rye House on the closure of Rayleigh Weir stadium He was rewarded with a further Young England international call-up for the series against Young Australasia.