Mike Varley’s Home Pages
Born in Birmingham Uk in 1922. Attended Moseley Grammar School. Worked for stockbroker then Rover Co.(Aero Engines as a clerk.
1941 - 48 : Served in RAF VR as Navigator. 1943: Bomber Command. 1944: Commissioned 1946: Advanced Navigation and instructor course. On active Reserve until 1954.
1948 - 55, Airwork Ltd. Scotland. UK Flight Navigator licence. Navigation officer and staff instructor.
1955 – 1960 : International Civil Aviation Organisation [ICAO] (UN Agency) . Advisor to Indonesia on training and aircrew licensing. Instructor Indonesian Aviation Academy.
1961 – 1974 . Civil servant. UK Ministry for Civil Aviation, London, then the Civil Aviation Authority. Operations Officer assigned to (I) Flight Operations Inspectorate. (ii) Operational Services Overseas. (iii) Review of Flight Safety legislation.
1963 :Seconded to ICAO in Saudi Arabia as aviation training adviser. (one year)
1974: Seconded to UK Ministry for Overseas Development., to assist in overseas aid.
1974 – 1982: Seconded to Government of Fiji . 1974 : Director of Civil Aviation , Fiji. 1978 ; Chief Executive Civil Aviation Authority of Fiji. 'Retired' back to UK1982.
1982 – 90. Independent Consultant on civil aviation infrastructure , air regulations , training and operations to the ICAO and the administrator of the United Nations Development Programme. Based in the UK, various part time assignments overseas.
To access pages click the underlined Link
Website Hosted for 77 Squadron RAF Association
Includes a squadron history and some photos :
LINKS - just click
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r_m_g.varley/77 Squadron Association.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r_m_g.varley/concise history of 77 sqd.html
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r_m_g.varley/77 Squadron Association.pdf
The .pdf version is edited for printing out or storing, the file is about 500 Kb. It can be printed by most printers as a 30 page booklet on 8 A4 sheets using Adobe Reader ( widely available - Free)
Link to : __77 Squadron RAF Roll of Honour_
· “The Strategic Air Offensive WWII”
An independent paper which analyses the total tonnage of bombs dropped together with the casualties and aircraft losses of RAF Bomber Command and the 8th and 9thUnited States Army Air Forces.
· http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r_m_g.varley/Strategic_Air_Offensive.html (revised 2010)
· http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r_m_g.varley/Strategic_Air_Offensive.pdf (PDF version )
· “Traffic Rights in Civil Aviation” A paper based on notes originally written for the guidance of a minister for civil aviation in a developing country .
· ROOTS, Some notes on my Family History, with abstracts from census returns in the 19th century,
· SPATC - The South Pacific Air Transport Council -
· The background and brief history of an organisation which provided the infrastructure for civil aviation development in the SW Pacific area between 1946 and 1976.
· http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r_m_g.varley/The South Pacific Air Transport Council.htm
· http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r_m_g.varley/South Pacific Air Transport Council.pdf (429 kb)
Obituary - Robert C G Varley (1949- 2008)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r_m_g.varley/Robert Varley obituary.html
Note. The LINKS should be activated from within this site and not retyped, the latter procedure may not work !
Revised 12 March 2012 MV.
Powered by WebRing.