Family of Joseph Leonard & Marie Therese Leche
Joseph Leonard was born 6 December 1785 in New Orleans, LA (baptism: 29 August 1786 St. Louis Cath., New Orleans, LA), and died 25 February 1860 in Thibodaux, Lafourche, LA. Burial was 25 December 1860 in Thibodaux, Lafourche, LA.
Wife Marie Therese Leche was born 8 November 1790 in Edgard, St. John, LA (baptism: 15 December 1790 Edgard, St. John, LA), and died April 1858 in Thibodaux, Lafourche, LA. They were married 27 July 1818 in Edgard, St. John, LA.
Their children were:
1- Josephine Genevieve Leonard b: Abt. 1819 Edgard, St. John, LA; d: Abt. 1853
+Jean Rousseau b: 22 December 1792 Plattenville, Assumption, LA; m: 15 June 1835 Lafourche, LA
2- Celestine Leonard b: Abt. 1821 Edgard, St. John, LA; d: Aft. 1880
+Onezime Theodule Aycock b: 22 November 1816 Plattenville, Assumption, LA; m: 12 October 1843 Lafourche, LA; d: 1891 Chacahoula, LA
Notes for Celestine Leonard:
- 1880 Terrebonne (8th ward, p. 352C): Onezime Aucock 62 planter; wife Celestin 60 keeps house; Zulement 38; Adile 28; Laura 22; Elvere 21
3- Joseph Leonard b: Abt. 1823 Edgard, St. John, LA; d: Aft. 1880 Lafourche, LA
+Marie Celeste Kerne b: Abt. 1826 Edgard, St. John, LA; m: 24 May 1841 St. Joseph, Thibodaux, Lafourche, LA; d: Bef. 1880 Lafourche, LA
Notes for Joseph Leonard:
- 24 December 1850 Lafourche census: Joseph Leonard Jr. 26 farmhand, b. SJB; Celeste 23; Aupiliade 6 b. Lafourche; Zeophire 4 b. Lafourche; Joseph 2 b. Lafourche; Anatole 6 months.
- 1880 Lafourche (5th ward, p. 618A): Joseph Leonard 57 widower; Hudson 19 laborer; Charles 17 laborer
4- Felix Leon Leonard b: 26 February 1825 Edgard, St. John, LA; d: 31 July 1891 Lafourche, LA
+Donatilde Elisabeth Bourg b: 20 November 1829 Lafourche, LA; m: 27 May 1844 St. Joseph, Thibodaux, Lafourche, LA; d: 4 March 1883 Lafourche, LA
5- Adeline Adelaide Leonard b: Abt. 1827 Edgard, St. John, LA
+Jean Jacques Troxler b: Abt. 1821; m: 11 January 1842 Thibodaux, Lafourche, LA
6- Evariste Leonard b: Abt. 1832 Edgard, St. John, LA; d: Aft. 1880 Assumption, LA
+Louise Ezilda Himel b: Abt. 1833; m: 21 April 1853 Lafourche, LA; d: Aft. 1880
Notes for Evariste Leonard:
- 1880 Assumption (p. 340C): Evariste Leonard 47 farmer; wife Louise 47 keeping house; Edgar 20 laborer; Klebert 18 laborer; Leonidas 15 at home; Stephanis 13; Henrie 10; Joseph 7; Oleus 4
7- Jean Adrien Leonard b: 7 May 1837 Lafourche, LA (baptism: 22 April 1838 Lafourche)
+Marie Celestine Badeaux b: Abt. 1837; m: 10 January 1856 Lafourche, LA
Notes for Joseph Leonard:
-Joseph Leonard was the youngest son in a family of 11 children. After his father's death he provided support for his widowed mother, and in 1811 Joseph and his mother were still living in New Orleans. (Joseph's grandfather had come from France in the early 1700's to work in N.O.) His mother had died by the time of his marriage to the widow Marie Therese Leche. (First husband Jean Pierre Portier b: 9 March 1788 Edgard; d: 19 September 1814 Edgard; m: 28 May 1810 Edgard).
- “Joseph Leonard, a descendant of one of New Orleans' pioneer families.... Joseph and Marie Therese Leche lived in St. John the Baptist parish until 1835 when they moved to Lafourche parish. In 1834 they had begun investing in land in Lafourche. In time Joseph owned a large sugarcane plantation about 6 miles above Thibodeaux along Hwy. 308. Although unable to sign his name, he was an extremely successful sugarcane planter. He died in Lafourche Parish of asthma after a two-month illness.” (Excerpt from "Leonard: A Partial Genealogy submitted by Mrs. Cecilia L. Richard in "Lafourche Country, the Land & the People")
- 1850 (24th December) Lafourche census: (Family #871)
Joseph Leonard - 65, Farmer, b. New Orleans
Therese Leonard - 65, b. St. John the Baptist
(Family #872: Joseph Leonard)
(Family #873: Felix Leonard)
- 5 November 1858: Lettors of Executorship
- 10 March 1860: Petition for inventory, Thibodeaux.