Family of Erastus H. Harris & Adelaide Harriet McGaughy
Erastus H. Harris was born 7 November 1823 in Chesterfield, Cheshire, New Hampshire, and died 12 January 1883 at 181 Constance Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Burial was 13 January 1883 in Lafayette Cemetery #1, Harris Family Tomb.
Wife Adelaide Harriet McGaughy was born 22 September 1833 in Quebec and died 6 January 1907 at 2234 Carondelet Street, New Orleans, Louisiana. Burial was 8 January 1907 in Lafayette Cemetery #1, Harris Family Tomb. They were married 4 December 1855 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Their children were:
1- Thomas Moulton Harris b: August 1856 in New Orleans, Louisiana; d: 15 October 1857 in New Orleans, Louisiana; burial: Lafayette Cemetery #1, Harris Family Tomb
2- Warren Stone Harris b: November 1857 in New Orleans, Louisiana; d: 13 September 1866 in New Orleans, Louisiana; burial: Lafayette Cemetery #1, Harris Family Tomb
3- John Adams Harris b: 5 September 1859 in New Orleans, Louisiana; d: 25 February 1939 in San Francisco, San Francisco, California; burial: 27 February 1939 Cypress Lawn Memorial Park, Palo Alto, San Mateo, California
+May Crumhorn b: 25 September 1862 in New Orleans, Louisiana; m: 2 August 1887 in New Orleans, Louisiana; d: 30 June 1893 at 939 Constance Street, New Orleans, Louisiana (eclampsia); burial: 1 July 1893 Lafayette Cemetery #1, Harris Family Tomb
*2nd Wife of John Adams Harris:
+Emerite Magdalene Derbes b: 28 May 1859 at 64 Burgundy Street, New Orleans, Louisiana; m: 27 December 1894 in New Orleans, Louisiana; d: 7 December 1950 in Oakland, Alameda, California; burial: Palo Alto, California
4- Lucius Merritt Harris b: November 1861 in New Orleans, Louisiana; d: 4 November 1933 in Jacksonville, Duval, Florida; burial Lafayette Cemetery #1, New Orleans
+Aseneth Copes Fonda b: Abt. 1862 in New Orleans, Louisiana; m: 27 December 1886 in New Orleans, Louisiana; d: 15 December 1890 in New Orleans, Louisiana
*2nd Wife of Lucius Merritt Harris:
+Regina A. Nelson b: October 1872 in New Orleans, Louisiana; m: Abt. 1899; d: Aft. 1910
Notes for Lucius Merritt Harris:
- 1890 city directory: Lucius M. Harris, clerk, 138 Fourth
- 1900 New Orleans, 1005 Louisiana Avenue (ED 119, W12, p. 9A): Lucas Harris 37 (Mar 1863; LA-VT-Eng) supervisor cotton Lld?, wife of 1 year Rosa 27 (Oct 1872; LA-Eng-LA) [0 of 1 child still living].
- 1910 New Orleans (ED 244, W17, p. 92B): Lucius M. Harris 42 bookkeeper/wholesale store (LA-VT-Can), wife of 12 years Regina A. 37 (LA-Eng-Ohio) [1 of 1 child still living], Nelson M. 9.
- 1930 Jacksonville, Duval, Florida, Ballet Avenue (ED57, p. 9A): Nelson Harris 29 (LA) manager/C-----d M-----, wife of 7 years Louise 29 (Indiana), Nelson Jr. 6 (MS), Ward 3 (LA), father Lucius 69 (LA) C--- P-----/dry goods.
- Per death notice in Harris family bible: "At Jacksonville, Fla., on Saturday, November 4, 1933, LUCIUS M. HARRIS, husband of Regina Nelson. Funeral upon arrival of L. & N. train No. 3, due Monday morning, November 6, 1933, at 6:50 o'clock. Interment Lafayette cemetery No. 1."
5- Jane Bowles Harris b: May 1863 in New Orleans, Louisiana; d: 16 March 1865 in New Orleans, Louisiana; burial: Lafayette Cemetery #1, Harris Family Tomb
6- Isabella Harris b: Abt. 1867 in New Orleans, Louisiana; d: 28 October 1916 at 1311 Pleasant Street, New Orleans, Louisiana; burial: Lafayette Cemetery #1, Harris Family Tomb
+Emile D. Frederic St. Ferol b: April 1871 in New Orleans, Louisiana; m: 14 November 1894 New Orleans, Louisiana [J. Louis Frederick/C. Mary ---]; d: 2 January 1902 New Orleans, Louisiana
Notes for Isabella Harris:
- 1900 New Orleans, 1212 Milan (ED 121, W12, p. 10B): Emile Frederic 29 (Apr 1871; LA-Miss-Miss) architect, wife of 5 years Isabelle F. 29 (Feb 1871; LA-Can-NH) [2 of 2 children still living], Ethelbert 4 (Nov 1895), Louise W. 1 (Apr 1899)
- 1910 New Orleans, Carondelet St. (ED 165, W10, p. 172A): Widow Belle H. Frederic 38 (LA-NH-Can) [3 of 3 children still living], Harris 14, Louise W. 11, Frank D. 10; sister Edith Harris 27; Arthur Durby 27 (Mass) boarder, Selion H. Mayer (Ill) 30 boarder, Benjamin Favdon 26 boarder.
- Obituary, Times-Picayune newspaper, New Orleans, LA, October 29, 1916, p. 2, c. 6: FREDERIC - On Saturday, Oct. 28, 1916, at 2 o'clock p.m., BELLE HARRIS, widow of Emile D. Frederic. Funeral services at residence, 1311 Pleasant Street, this (Sunday) afternoon at 3:30 o'clock.
7- Adelaide 'Addie' Harris b: April 1872 in New Orleans, LA; d: Aft. 1940
+Guy Samuel Vanwinkle Lyman b: 30 November 1873 New Orleans, LA; m: 22 June 1898 New Orleans, LA [William R./Mary A. Campbell]; d: Aft. 1940
Notes for Adelaide Harris:
- 1900 New Orleans, 2029 Palmer Avenue (ED 134, W14, p. 10B): Guy Van Lyman 26 (Nov 1873) bookkeeper, wife of 2 years Adelaide 28 (Apr 1872) [1 of 1 child still living], Isabelle 1 (May 1899); 2 boarders.
- 1910 New Orleans, 2230 Carondelet (ED165, W10, p. 5A): Guy V.W. Lyman 37 accountant/public, wife of 11 years Adalaide 35 [2 of 2 children still living], Isabell 10, Guy 8.
- 1920 New Orleans, 1233 Fern Street (ED265, W16, p. 9B): Guy Lyman 46 accountant/lumber co., wife Alaude 45, Isabella 20, Guy 18, Harris 9, father William 83 (VA) retired, mother Alice 73 (VA).
- 1930 New Orleans, 3203 Upperline (ED214): Guy W. Lyman 57 (LA-VA-USA) [house value $5000] accountant, wife Adelaide 57 (LA-NH-Can), Guy C. 28, wife Helen 25 (TN-TN-TN), Harris 20.
- 1940 Bay St. Louis, Hancock, Mississippi: (182 Sobral Blvd.): Guy V. W. Lyman 66, wife Adelaide H. 66.
8- Edith Harris b: October 1876 in New Orleans, LA; d: 2 January 1964 in 1114 Dunbar Ave., Bay St. Louis, MS; burial: 3 January 1964 Lafayette Cemetery #1, Harris Family Tomb
+Christopher Angus Wurtele b: 14 February 1886 Minnesota; m: Abt. 1912 [Josias/Auguste ---]; d: Bef. 1964
Notes for Edith Harris:
- 1910 New Orleans, ED 165, W10, p. 172A, Carondelet St.: Belle H. Frederic 38 widow (LA-NH-Can) [3 children/3 still living], Harris 14, Louise W. 11, Frank D. 10, Arthur Durby 27 (Mass) boarder, Selion H. Mayer (Ill) 30 boarder, Benjamin Favdon 26 boarder; sister Edith Harris 27.
- 1920 Bartow, Polk, Florida, 147 Main (ED157, p. 11B): C. A. Wurtele 35 (IL-IL-IL) agent/explosives, wife Edith 33 (LA-NH-Can).
- 1930 Miami, Dade, Florida, 1876 SW 14th Street (ED64, p. 15A): Christopher Wurtele 43 (IL-Can-Can) proprietor/dynamite company, wife Edith 42 (LA-NH-Can).
- Obituary, Times-Picayune newspaper, New Orleans, LA, January 3, 1964, p. 2, c. 8: WURTELE - At 1114 Dunbar Ave., Bay St. Louis, Miss., on Thursday, January 2, 1964, at 2:20 o'clock a.m. MRS. EDITH HARRIS WURTELE, widow of the late C. Angus Wurtele, aunt of Mrs. Louise Huhner of Baton Rouge, Harry Lyman of New Orleans, Harris Frederick of Shreveport and Frank Frederick of Memphis, Tenn., age 87 years, a native of New Orleans, La., and a resident of Bay St. Louis, Miss. Relatives and friends of the family are invited to attend the funeral. Services from Riemann-Fahey-Whitefield Funeral Home at 9:45 o'clock a.m., Friday, January 3, 1964. Religious services at The Christ Episcopal Church, Bay St. Louis, Miss., at 10 a.m., Reverend Charles R. Johnson, rector, officiating. Interment in Lafayette Cemetery, No. 1 in New Orleans, La., at 2 o'clock.
Notes for Erastus H. Harris:
- 1850 New Orleans (1st ward, 1st muni.p. 7, roll #235): Erastus Harris 27 merchant (next door to Dr. Warren Stone’s family, Erastus’ half-brother)
- 1850 N.O city directory: E.H. Harris, firm Sampson & Harris, 74 Canal
- 1855 N.O. city directory: E.H. Harris, firm W.S. Wright & Co., 91 Tchoupitoulas
- 1860 New Orleans: E.H. Harris 36 (NH) merchant, wife Adelaide 24 (MA), Warren 3, John A. 10 months, 2 domestics Anne 30 & Sophy 20 from Ireland.
- 1870 New Orleans (W10, p. 388): Erastus Harris 43 (NH) produce broker [$1000 personal], wife Adelaide 33 (Can), John 10, Lucius 8, Belle 2; servant Agnes Cooper 22.
- 1880 New Orleans, 181 Constance Street (ED 3, W1, p. 8): E. H. Harris 55 (NH-NH-NH) at home, wife A. H. 46 (Can-Can-Can) keeping house, J. A. 20 railroad clerk, Luciue 19 clerk in flour store, Bella 13 at home, Addie 8 at school, Edith 6 at school.
- 13 January 1883, obituary The Daily Picayune newspaper, p. 4, c. 4: HARRIS - On Friday, January 12, 1883, at 6 A.M., ERASTUS H. HARRIS, aged 56 years, a native of Brattleboro, Vt., and a resident of this city 35 years. The funeral will take place from his late residence, 181 Constance Street, This (Saturday) Morning, at 10 o'clock. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.
- 1890 city directory: Addie Harris, widow Erastus H., 138 Fourth
- 1900 New Orleans, 1216 Milan (ED 121, W12, p. 10B): Widow Adelaide H. Harris 66 (Sep 1833; Can-Ire-Ire; immig. 1844) [mar. 45 yrs.; 5 of 8 children still living], Edith M. 23 (Oct 1876) coffee commission mcht., nephew Warren S. 10 (Aug 1889; LA-LA-LA)
- 7 January 1907, obituary The Daily Picayune newspaper, p. 6, c. 5: HARRIS - On Sunday, Jan. 6, 1907, at 7:30 o'clock a.m., MRS. ADELAIDE McGAUGHY HARRIS, aged 73 years, widow of the late E. H. Harris. Funeral services will be held from the late residence, 2234 Carondelet Street, Monday Evening, Jan. 7, 1907, at 3 o'clock. Pensacola, Fla., papers please copy.
- 8 January 1907, obituary The Daily Picayune newspaper, p. 5, c. 7: Mrs. E. H. HARRIS. Mrs. Adelaide McGaughy Harris, widow of the late E. H. Harris, well known in New Orleans for her philanthropy, is dead at her home, 2234 Carondelet Street. Mrs. Harris was born in Quebec, but came to New Orleans about fifty years ago. Her late husband was a well known Poydras Street produce merchant, being a member of the firm of Harris & Bidwell. Mrs. Harris was a director in the Christian Woman's Exchange, the Home for Incurables and the Seventh Street Orphans' Home, and was noted for her works of charity. She leaves three daughters, Mrs. Guy Lyman, Mrs. Emile Frederic and Miss Edith Harris, and two sons, John A. and Lucius M. Harris. The funeral will take place this afternoon at 3 o'clock from the late residence.
- 29 February 1976 - Times Picayune - Maybe your Grandmother Helped Make a Dream come True - Josephine Henderson, wife of John Barkley; Fanny Newman, widow of A.B. Griswold; Virginia King, wife of Samuel Logan; Lizzie Oliver, wife of Robert Manson; Elizabth A. Monroe, wife of H.I. Leovy; Laura Buckner, wife of Cartwright Eustis; Ida Weis, wife of Jos. Friend; Daisy M.L. Hodgson; Elizabth Lynd; Mary Shakespeare, wife of Neville Peuch; Elizabth Nicholson, wife of Raymond B. Scudder; Rebecca Keifer, wife of Isidore Newman; Carmelite Le Sassier, wife of Walter W. Girault; Susan Polk, wife of Joseph Jones; Alisia M. Keaghey, wife of Samuel Boyd; Louisa Moore, wife of Geo. Q. Whitney; Emma K. Walshe; Caroline Durive; Janie Stewart, wife of Alfred LeBlanc; Jennie Railey, wife of A.A. Woods; Ella Oliver, widow of John P. Richardson; Florence Rea, widow of John W. Keim; Rolerta Buckner, wife of John M. Parker; Matilda L. McBeth, wife of Thomas Sefton; Laura Ellems, wife of Pearl Wight; Carrie Smith, wife of W.H. La Prade; Mary Buchanan, wife of Isaac Scott; Dora Dean, wife of Jos. Scott; Adelaide H. McGanhey, wife of E.H. Harris. - In 1892, your grandmother, or someone like her, banded together with other dedicated women to form the New Orleans Home for Incurables. The thirty women listed above received a charter on June 20, 1892, before Jas. McConnell, Jr., Notary Public, to form an Association to care for "incurable persons of both sexes." Today the Home is still run by an all-female Board. Equally dedicated, these women ask all interested Orleanians to help them make the Home's new $3,500,000 facility a reality. Please use the coupon below to mail your contribution to us today, or call 895-1266 for further information. And, thank you. New Orleans Home for Incurables, 612 Henry Clay Ave., New Orleans, Louisiana 70178 (504) 895-1266.
Last updated: 18 August 2013.