Family of William Chittenden &
William Chittenden was born 4 February 1800 in Staplehurst, Kent and died 12 August 1872 in Staplehurst, Kent.
Wife Sarah --- was born Abt. 1800 in Staplehurst, Kent and died 18 March 1881 in Staplehurst, Kent. They were married Abt. 1824.
Their children were:
1- William Chittenden b: Abt. 26 November 1826 Staplehurst, Kent; d: 17 April 1877 Walworth, Surrey
+Mary Taylor b: Abt. 9 March 1828 Cranbrook, Kent; m: 10 December 1853 Church, Parish of St. George the Martyr, Southwark, Surrey; d: 16 May 1882 Walworth, Surrey
2- John Henry Chittenden b: Abt. 17 June 1827 Staplehurst, Kent; d: 10 August 1870 Staplehurst, Kent
+unknown m: Aft. 1851
3- Thomas Chittenden b: Abt. 2 August 1829 Staplehurst, Kent; d: Aft. 1841
4- Alfred Chittenden b: Abt. 2 March 1834 Staplehurst, Kent; d: 30 August 1879 Staplehurst, Kent
+Emily Knight b: Abt. 1835 Hawkhurst, Kent; m: 1866 St. George the Martyr, Southwark, Surrey
5- Edwin Chittenden b: Abt. 19 March 1837 Staplehurst, Kent; d: 30 June 1894 Staplehurst, Kent
+Mary Ann Webb b: Abt. 1837 Exniry?, Suffolk; m: 1861 St. George the Martyr, Southwark, Surrey; d: 27 June 1891 Staplehurst, Kent
6- Emma Chittenden b: Abt. 29 September 1839 Staplehurst, Kent; d: Aft. 1861
Notes for William Chittenden:
- 1841 census (Staplehurst, Kent): William
Chittenden senior 66 (Kent) blacksmith, William Chittenden junior 41
(Kent) blacksmith, wife Sarah Chittenden 41(Kent), William 15 blacksmith, Jno.
14, Thomas 11, Alfred 7, Edw. 3.
- 1851 census (Staplehurst, Kent): William Chittenden 51 smith employing 2 men, wife Sarah 51, John 23 smith, Alfred 17 smith, Edwin 13 scholar, Emma 11 (all b. Stap).
- 1861 census (Staplehurst, Kent): William Chittenden 61 (Staplehurst) blacksmith, wife Sarah 61 (Staplehurst), Alfred 26 (Stap) blacksmith, Edwin 23 (Stap) carpenter, Emma 21 (Stap), apprentice George Munn 17 (Nevenden) blacksmith apprentice.
- 1871 census (Staplehurst, Kent - Blacksmiths forge): William Chittenden 71 (Staplehurst) blacksmith, employs 4 men, wife Sarah 71 (Staplehurst), John Chainey 24 boarder, blacksmith (Headcorn).
- Memorial: At Church of All Saints, Staplehurst, Kent: 39A: Headstone, inscribed on East: clear but worn lettering: sound, in situ.: In, loving remembrance of, WILLIAM CHITTENDEN, of this parish, who died August 12th 1872, aged 72 years. Also of SARAH, wife of the above, who died March 13th 1881, aged 81 years. Also of WILLIAM, eldest son of the above, who died in London, April 17th 1877, aged 51 years.
- WILL: 1873: William Chittenden, 11th January 1873. Effects under Three Hundred Pounds. Administration of the effects of William Chittenden, late of Staplehurst in the County of Kent, Blacksmith, who died 12th August 1872 at Staplehurst, was granted at the Principle Registry to Sarah Chittenden of Staplehurst. Widow of Relict.
Parents of William Chittenden
Parents of Sarah --- - unknown
Last updated: 3 February 2010