I don't like mission statements and think that the real reason for having one is either because it's currently the "in" thing to have or because creating one can keep someone in a job (probably a consultant who is charging the company a fortune!).
The mission statement is randomly generated every time the page is loaded. There is a basic template into which words are added at random. There is actually a pattern because the template is, "Our mission is to [adverb] [verb] [adjective] [noun], so we can build on [adjective] [noun] and [adjective] [noun], taking us forward to meet new challenges." I have marked the fixed and random text in the source of this page so you should be able to write a longer statement with a different style quite easily.
The external file looks something like this:–
noun = new Array(
verb = new Array(
adjective = new Array(
adverb = new Array(
lenn = noun.length
lenv = verb.length
lenj = adjective.length
lena = adverb.length
This is saved as "mission.js". "lenn", "lenv", "lenj" and "lena" count the lengths of the arrays. Because these are arrays we are talking about they return the number of items within each array rather than number of characters. You can add lots more words to each list but make sure that they all have commas after them except for the last one. You don't have to put each new word on a new line. I only did that and put the words in alphabetical order because it makes it easier to add new words. In my list I have used English spellings rather than American ones because I am English. I suppose, to make the mission statements into genuine authentic gibberish, I should have used the American ones!
The external file is called in the page using the following code (which goes in the page's <HEAD>):–
In my example I have only got the four random types of text. There is nothing to stop you replacing some of the fixed text with complete phrases, selected at random in a similar manner. Just set up a separate array, make sure there is a counter (like "lenn", "lenv", etc.) so you don't have to keep changing the number in the code every time you add a new phrase, and off you go.
Hand coded using KEdit
© 2003 Phil Davison