please also see: The Kempe Society & Charles Eamer Kempe.
|Left: Pre 1895 Logo. Usually found in the top
tracery of a window.
Right: Logo of Alfred Tombleson comprising of his initials on a gold patterned background from the early days of the studio. Usually found in the top tracery of a window and very often in opposite position to that of Kempe's shield logo.
|Left: After 1895 the shield logo was replaced
by a single wheatsheaf usually in the bottom left hand
corner of a stained glass window.
Right: On Kempe's death in 1907 this was replaced with the single golden wheatsheaf with a black tower superimposed on the head. The last window of the firms production had the tower laid on its side to denote the last of its line.
|Right: Crucifixion Glass panel circa 1480 restored by Kempe in 1875. From St. Tyrnog. Llandyrnog. Denbighshire.|
|Detail of Singing Angels dated 1870 from the vestry of St. John Divine. Frankby. Cheshire.|
|Left: Virgin and child from the transept of
Holy Ascension. Upton-by-Chester. Dated 1871. (Now stored
in a crate)
Right: St. Thomas in St. Peter's Church, Heswall, Cheshire. Dated 1891. West end of the North Aisle.
|Left: 1890 detail of a North Aisle Window of St. Elizabeth of Hungary. St Bridgets. West Kirby. Cheshire.|
|Left: 1933. St Peter. Easthope, Shropshire.
Crucifixion in The South of the Chancel.
"In honour of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the King of Martyrs, and of His Apostle St. Philip who suffered martyrdom on the Cross, this window is dedicated as a memorial to Philippa Jessie, daughter of Ralph Augustus Benson of Lutwyche, by George Reginald Benson. A.D. mcmxxxiii."
Right: St George in the South Aisle, Church of St Mary and St Helen. Neston. Cheshire. 1905
please also see the page on Francis Skeat.
|left: Virgin and child, Holy Trinity Church,
Ashford in the Water, Derbyshire, designed and made by Francis Skeat.
|Left: The Sower window from Lincoln Cathedral.
Painted by Ward & Hughes in 1869 and deliberately
based on geometric design and foliage patterns taken from
13th Century originals.
Right: Ruskington Near Sleaford. Lincs. in the Chancel South Window. Christ Blessing with the inscription - MAGISTER - for Master in a banner above the figure.
A memorial to John Hanwell, teacher and layreader 1904 to 1990, who is shown with a group of children in the base. Signed with a wheelhead cross lower right for the Celtic Studios in Swansea and designed by H.R.Thomas, the window was inserted in 1991.
Holy Trinity Church. Long Melford. Suffolk. Sir Thomas
Clopton and wife. Donor figures take prominence in the second
half of the 15th Century. This church has a great collections of
this type of glass.
Christ The Good Shepherd at St Laurences church, Corringham, Lincolnshire by Christopher Whall in 1914 ? (Note the inscription date below). Said to be Whall's excellent draughtsmanship, mastery of paint and jewel-like Norman slab glass (a difficult medium to work with.)
"Remember Mary Beckett of Somerby in this Parish who
died on the 21st day of February 1915 at whose cost this Church
was restored 1882- 1884"
This brilliant panel by Thomas
Willement was installed in his own home at Davington Priory. Kent.
It shows his exceptional talent as a heraldic glass painter. He
was heraldic artist to King George IV and stained glass artist to
Queen Victoria and a renowned scholar.
One of nine medallions from a Tree of Jesse Window of about 1218 from the Romanesque choir of the Cathedral of Freiburg im Breisgau. Each medallion encloses a figure with its own label & attribute and were once arranged in a series of vertical rows of Christ's ancestors in the centre and prophets at the sides. The work of Nicholas of Verdun.
The style in this case has reduced the Jesse Tree to just a
small foliage spray.
Right: The roundel of October,
one of the "Labours of the Months" :- This roundel of a
seedsower is one of a set of the "Labours of the Months"
Representing the month of October it is thought to have been
painted in Norwich about 1480 - 1500 and originally came from
Coslany just outside of the city.
Right: Said to be the earliest of Christ's ancestors, Adam was placed in the clerestory of Canterbury Cathedral as one of a set of genealogical figures.
Adam digging is from the late 12th century and shows him using
a wooden spade with its sharp digging edge sheathed in metal.
Note also the skin apron, possibly supposed to represent camel
Left: 'The Adoration of the Magi'. St Michael's, Great Witley, Worcestershire.
One of the windows which were installed in 1747 and were
brought there from the house of the Duke of Chandos, Canons, Near
Edgeware. They were designed by Francisco Slater and made by
Joshua Price in 1719- 1721.
Left: This window is one of the many beautifully successful 'Landscape' windows using the pink and purple hues of skies mixed with realistic greens of landscapes which are so typical of the Tiffany Studios.
His habit of inserting these scenic windows with complete disregard for any tracery lines endeared him to some of his clients but also incensed his critics and particularly some of the architectural fraternity.
This is the Charles Duncan and William Hegardt memorial window
from the Pilgrim Congregational Church. Duluth. Minnesota. USA.
Right: "The Physical Journey".
One of a set of clerestory windows by Cedar
Prest, an Australian Artist, in St. Peter's Cathedral,
|Left: "Briar Rose", a glass panel designed and made by Michael Stokes BA(Hons) of M.D.S. Stained Glass.|
Please also see sites in the Stained Glass Webring
|This site is a work in progress.|
Back to the Main Page.