This small country town developed from the Benedictine Priory which was founded in 1087 by Thorold of Bucknall just close to where the sheep market is now. There was also a castle at one time to the east of the Pinchbeck Road (The A16). The one famous thing which Spalding is renowned for is the Spalding Gentlemens Society, a society of antiquaries founded in 1710. Famous people who were members were, Maurice Johnson a lawyer. Newton, Stukeley, George Vertue the engraver and Alexander Pope.
The Church of St Mary & St Nicholas was originally built as a parish church by the priory under William de Littleport in 1284. The site was originally a Norman cemetery chapel.
The present building is made up of additional work from the 13th, 14th, and 19th centuries and to try and place what is where and why is very difficult and even experts cannot always agree. They do agree that the chancel ceiling is a fine piece of work by Stephen Dykes - Bower in 1959. The new pulpit and organ case are pieces of work by George G Pace of York and the screen by J. Oldrid Scott.1875.
There are nine hatchments above the Nave Arcades to members of the Johnson family.
There is some 19th Century stained glass, much by Clayton and Bell and two windows in the south aisle H.W. Harvey 1966.There are about half a dozen wall tablets and a white statue on a base by L. Francis of London and a war memorial with a figure of St Michael carved by Lawrence Bond.
Church of St Mary & St Nicholas Website
The church of St John the Baptist is to the south west of the town and was built in 1875 by R. J. Withers. It has on the outside a large Crucifix made of wood at the Mousey Thompsons Workshop at Kilburn in Yorkshire as it has their logo of a mouse on the right hand side. There are other pieces from the same workshop inside the church and there are four stained glass windows by Kempe & Co Ltd of 1918 - 1930.
This site is a work in progress.
Back to the Main Page.