|The village to the north of Lincoln is
just a row of houses stretching along a main street.
The church of St John The Baptist comprises a small west tower, nave, chancel and north aisle and was a "re-modelling" of 1794. The chancel and north aisle in 1876 -1877. The south windows by Bodley & Garner who also carried out the 1876 -1877 restoration. In the north aisle and chancel is stained glass by Bodley & Garner.
In the chancel there are two rectangular brass panels with armorial inscriptions on and these date from 1644 and 1648. The church also has another two which are not on display, also to the Bolles brass and the Vele brass.
There are many Airforce graves from the second world war in the churchyard just to the north of the church and just to the east of the church there is a set of 6 headstones to the crew of a German war plane which crashed on the main road just nearby, one of the headstones has on it two names commemorated and after the war it was realised that one of the members was a ground crew operator who seemed to have accompanied the crew on a "Jolly." Which turned out to be less amusing than he hoped.
When all the German dead of the second world war were being collected up and re-interred in the large war cemetery in Cannock Chase the relatives of these men refused permission as the graves here are treated with the same respect and looked after in the same way as the British war dead.
Brass, John Bolles, died 1648
This site is a work in progress.
Back to the Main Page.