Click for Lincolnshire map.
Old Clee

Old Clee, near Grimsby, Lincolnshire

The Church of The Holy Trinity.

 

Old Clee is now part of Grimsby but still an old village round Holy Trinity Church. The church has a Saxo - Norman tower of unequal stages but otherwise it is mostly a restoration by James Fowler. There is a Norman Tub Font with a rope band of Decoration round the top.

Photograph: Peter Fairweather This South Aisle, Easternmost window as photographed in 1993 is dedicated to Bishop St Hugh of Lincoln and was originally designed to include masonic symbols in 1960, (but was manufactured without) and inserted shortly after. The vidimus (original scale watercoloured sketch) of this window, by Francis Skeat the stained glass artist, is owned by Churchmouse.

There are more stained glass windows to be seen on this site. Please see the Kempe Society page and the Stained Glass page.


This cast iron gravemarker is an extremely rare example from the latter part of the 19th century and is not included in any naval memorial books as far as is known. Research is about to be carried out in Bombay to see if the grave and marker (if there is one) for the fourth son, Richard, can be located. This will be done through one of the societies shown on this web page: BACSA.

The Inscription reads:-

Sacred
To the Memory of
CORNELIUS CHAPMAN
HUMBER PILOT
Who Died May16th 1840
Aged 50 Years
Also Cornelius his Son who died
May 27th 1822 Aged 1 Year & 8 Months.
Also GRACE relict of the above
Who Died June 7th 1872
Aged 84 Years
Also RICHARD their fourth SON
Who Died at BOMBAY Sept 19th 1861
Aged 35 Years

Photograph: Peter Fairweather.

 


This site is a work in progress.


Main Page