A large village once a small market town hence the very broad main street along the Lincoln to Grantham road. The old school building next to the church is dated 1816and inscribed The Benefit Society 1821
|The church of St Peter is basically made up of three different parts with a poor West Tower which is a replacement of mid 18th century after the previous one fell. There is a good perpendicular clerestory which is decorated with shields in quatrefoils & with closely set three light windows. The tall decorated chancel has very large windows. The side windows have reticulated tracery & the large east window which was partly rebuilt in 1875-1876 and is said to have been restored correctly!. It is composed of six lights with "in the head two very large mouchettes nodding to each other and a very large reticulation unit at the top"|
The odd south aisle west tower and west windows with tracery could be thought to be of 17th century date but are actually of the 1875-1876 rebuild after the fall of the tower.
The three bays of the arcades -The west respond and the first pier on the north side are good Early English work, the pier quatrefoil and is set diagonally so that the thin detached shafts between the foils come in the right direction. Round abacus, round seat. The second pier, the east responds and the south arcade with normal quatrefoils with fillets:- early 13th century. This date is the same for the south aisle windows with intersecting tracery though the south aisle was built in brick in the mid 18th century. The north aisle windows are of the decorated period design they are all victorian reproductions of 1859-1860. And even more in 1875-1876 by Charles Kirk at a cost of £3,300.
Just south of the chancel arch is a rood supporting corbel of a lady in a wimple. The chancel interior is described by Pevsner as glorious and full of decorated period items. These are recorded as being the founders tomb, Easter Sepulchre, piscina and separate sedilia all of which have ogee arches, crocketed gables and buttress shafts, big finials and an assortment of leafy shapes with little figures here and there.
The finest piece is the Easter Sepulchre which is described as small and upright not horizontal with an opening of less than 3x2 ft at the foot of which stand three Roman Soldiers similar to Heckington.
The sedilia has tiny vaults inside and this with the piscina and sepulchre were possibly all begun by William de Herleston , Edward Is chancellor who later became Canon of Llandaff whilst he was rector here 1325 - 1329.
The founders tomb which is in a slightly different style is probably that of his successor John de Fenton who was rector until 1832.
The font is a lavish Victorian affair by Charles Kirk Junior shown at the London Exhibition of 1862. The Pulpit is Jacobean. The Rood screen is of 1910 by Temple Moore. The royal arms are signed Thomas Hunton of Lincoln. Painter 1710.
There is also a late 13th century grave slab with an inscription in Norman script which says:- Pray for Richard de Lue (Louth).
This site is a work in progress.