Market Rasen

Church of St. Thomas


This small town is said to be Market Rasen six days a week and Rasen Market on the seventh.

Church of St Thomas

An Ironstone west tower which was restored in the upper sections in 1884. It is very similar to that of Yarborough which is 13th Century. But there is evidence that it was built about 1405.The west doorway and west window are perpendicular and the rest is an exterior rebuild in 1862 by James Fowler with the exception of The deep gable sheltering the priests doorway & the late norman south doorway with thin shafts and three rolls in the round arch. The low roofed north east chapel was added by Fowler in 1877. Inside the arcades, partly original (octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches) the rest however is mostly of 1862 as is the rest of the interior.

There is a royal arms which is metal and after 1837 on the gates under the tower. The church is very plain and has little in the way of stained glass or memorials.

The screen and choir stalls are from the demolished church of St Marks in Lincoln. On the west wall of the south aisle is an inscription (not in situ):-

Ye who loces yis work upon pray for all yat yt bygon a patir nost (er)’ Possibly the most interesting thing in the church.

It is worth a Sunday afternoon walk round on a fine day (Particularly with a copy of Pevsner!)

 


This site is a work in progress. .


Main Page