Church of All Saints
Holbeach is a small market town with one principal street running east to west with the church in the center and other smaller streets running on the North & South sides.
The church of All Saints is on the south side of the main street and is of the decorated period 1290 t0 1350 , and in this case nearer 1350. The church has had at least three major restorations carried out that are known. The restorations by Ewan Christian especially to the chancel were carried out 1859 - 1860. The top of the spire was rebuilt and the chancel re roofed in 1866 - 1868. In 1871 - 1873 the chancel was re fitted.
The internal items were provided or restored as follows. The reredos was by Wilfrid Bond in 1913. The font is octagonal perpendicular style with a panelled stem. Around the bowl are angels with shields and instruments of the passion, unfortunately these are all mutilated. The pulpit of 1872 was designed by Ewan Christian, the rood of 1930 by Wilfrid Bond and the organ case in 1950 by Lawrence Bond.
The monuments are:-
The praying effigy of Sir Humphrey Littlebury. Late 14th Century. He lies with his head on a large helm the crest of which is a head The tomb chest has deep niches similar to kneeling niches and is attributed to Bristol craftsmen. There is a similar monument in Bristol Cathedral of Lord Berkeley who died in 1368. There is a 30 inch long part brass to an early 15th Century Knight.
There is a brass to Joanna Welby, 34 inches long on a tomb chest she died in 1488.
In the chancel on the north side is a wall tablet with books on the top to Philip Ashby who died in 1794. It is by Henson of Spalding.
This site is a work in progress.
Back to the Main Page.