Click for Lincolnshire map.
Gainsborough

Gainsborough.

Gainsborough Old Hall and All Saints Church.

 

The Old Hall and the Town.

Gainsborough is essentially a midland red brick 19th century town with a very nicely preserved half timbered old hall of 14th and 15th centuries and later. In 1760 it became a linen factory and has subsequently been a theatre, a corn exchange and a sale room. The first floor room in the east wing was used in 1773 for worship by Congregationalists and later as a ballroom. Before 1952 it was used as a Masonic Lodge. Rather than give much information here of the details of construction it is best if you come and see it.

In the late 17th and 18th centuries the town became an important inland port. It declined from 1849 onwards but was saved by the setting up of an engineering works.

All Saints Church.

This has a medieval tower and the nave is a rebuild of 1736 to 1744, by Francis Smith the designer of All Saints church Derby. It was last redecorated in 1967-8 by Lawrence Bond.

Stained glass in all the apse windows by Wailes in 1859. In the In the north chapel the east window, 1872, by Ward and Hughes and the north window 1904 designed by Bodley and made by Burlison & Grylls. In the nave on the south wall second from the west is a subject of Christ disputing with the doctors in the Temple. By Morris and Co (The artists being Titcomb, Stokes and Edge.) and the easternmost 1870 by C. E. Clutterbuck.

There are various other churches in the town center and on the outskirts. One of these being a mile to the north of Gainsborough.

 

 

 


This site is a work in progress.


Back to the Main Page.