Click for Lincolnshire map.
Donington on Bain

Donington on Bain, Lincolnshire.

Church of St. Andrew

 

Church of St. Andrew

This is a typical little village not very much to look at but with two shops - one includes a post office, a pub and a church, St Andrew’s.

This has a broad unbuttressed Norman west tower. The tall narrow tower arch suggests a date of the 11th century, unfortunately it is plastered over and there are no surviving details. The church comprises nave and chancel and it has Decorated period Bell openings

Church of St. Andrew, Donington on Bain. Photograph: Peter Fairweather, 1982.

In the nave there is one south lancet and the chancel was restored in 1868, but the two low side lancets and the east lancets appear genuine. The North aisle was taken down in 1779 and only traces of the three bay arcade remain. There were round piers with round abaci and double chamfered arches. One capital has a large crude repeated twice stiff leaf and the next capital has a head sticking out. The font is circular Norman with incised intersecting arches and rope moulding and stands on an Early English capital reversed. It is the brass which is the special item which reads:-

Both Chrysostome and Polycarpe in one
United lye intered beneath this stone
This one a Phoenix was all eminent
The learned prudent pious Thomas Kent

Not far away is Red Hill, near Asterby where on good Friday morning a cross of witness is carried from the low road up the lane. When it reaches the small nature reserve at the top of Red Hill a short service is held when the cross has been erected.

 


This site is a work in progress.


Back to the Main Page.