Doddington Hall and the Church of St. Peter.
This small remaining village was once quite a thriving little market town but now has about a dozen or so modern and 19th century houses, a wheel-wrights workshop, an Elizabethan large Hall (1599) and a church.
The hall was built in 1599 (on property which had been purchased in 1593). and was originally designed as a multi gabled roof house but by the time came to put on the roof the design was altered to a large flat expanse of low pitched lead work rather than steep pitched roofing tiles. It was built originally for Thomas Talyer (Tailor) who was recorder to the Bishop of Lincoln and attributed to Robert Smythson builder of many famous large country houses.
During the civil war the family which held Doddington, the Husseys, had influential members on both sides so the house was by passed by any destructive factions unlike the Jermyn familys house at Torksey just a few miles away which was burned by Royalists.
Doddington was held over the years by various families. ie:- The Picots, (Pigots) Burghs, Savills, Husseys, Delavals, Gunmans, Tailors, Jarviss (who hold the house at present) & Coles
according to the Revd R. E. G. Cole Rector of Doddington in the late 19th century. The house is open to the public at certain times and is well worth a visit.
|St Peters Church was rebuilt in 1770 -1775 by Thomas Lumby and further restoration was carried out in 1911 by Scorer & Gamble. The nave, aisles and chancel were near reproductions of
the style of the North aisle which had remained from the Decorated building. The west windows are of the 1770 rebuild but the East window which is supposed to be 1729 is suspected of being a later
There are several stained glass windows by Wailes including the east window of 1851. There are two early 19th century Hatchments in the nave which match a pair to be found in the little Norman chapel near the Delavals large house at Seaton Delaval.
This site is a work in progress.
Back to the Main Page.