Corby Glen, Lincolnshire
The Church of St. John the Evangelist.
Until 1955 this small former market town was known as just CORBY but due to several mix ups with the Town of Corby Northamptonshire it was changed and the Glen added. The little town is said to be "Impressively set on the side of a hill". There are several small narrow lanes leading in to the peaceful market square.
The church of St John The Evangelist north aisle dates from about the later half of the 13th century and one is requested to see the windows one of which has quatrefoils in circles in the tracery whereas another has interconnecting tracery and the west window is just a small quatrefoil. The south door which has two continuous wave-mouldings is of the Decorated period as also is the aisle although the windows of it are perpendicular as also is the South Porch. There is a late 14th century four bay arcade with tall piers. The mouldings are four shafts with four hollows. The piers have polygonal bases and capitals It is likely that the arches are of the decorated period and have been reused The tower arch is similar to the arcades but the chancel arch has plain Norman imposts which are not in their original position. The perpendicular west tower has a quatrefoil frieze. The church was "restored"!! in the 1860s and this was also when the was rebuilt. The communion rail is 17th century and there is a lozenge shaped Royal Arms.
There are some extensive remains of wall paintings discovered in 1939. In the clerestory are figures which are most clearly seen. 2 shepherds, King Herod, Magi and Virgin & Child all from the early 15th century. In the aisles are North -St Anne teaching the Virgin of about 1325, A large figure of St Christopher nearly 11 ft high from about 1350. Also the figures of seven deadly sins, a warning to swearers. In the center the Pieta. The devils and elegantly dressed youths are easily recognized -Early 15th century
In the south aisle, to the right of the east window is a scroll pattern of 1325, to the left side is a figure of about the same date. In the south east corner of the south aisle wall is a Tree of Jesse in a beautiful interlaced ogee pattern which is mid 14th century work.
In the quatrefoil South aisle window is a figure thought to be St John and small fragments in other windows.
200 yards to the north west of the church stands the remains of the motte of a Motte and Baily castle which is described large, low and oval in plan.
See also cast iron gravemarker at the church of St John The Evangelist.
This site is a work in progress.