Click for Lincolnshire map.
Cammeringham

Cammeringham, Lincolnshire

The Church of St. Michael.

 

 

The church of St Michael which remains at Cammeringham is now only a small nave with a small chancel and there is nothing left of the Norman North Arcade of two bays which used to be there. There is the remains of a blocked up doorway thought to be a 14th century one. The font has a very small bowl and dates from 1755.

 

The Tyrwhytt Memorial Lozenge

The memorial to Mrs Jane Tyrwhytt who died in 1657 or 1659 is on the North wall of the chancel and the carving of it is attributed to Edward Marshall. It comprises a large Lozenge with a shield with multiple quarterings of arms on it beneath the lozenge and above is an intricate carved bust of the lady set inside an oval wreath. There is a large detailed inscription on the Lozenge and a small simple rhyme on a grey plate below. There is a nice stained glass window at the east end.

 

 

Any problems, please contact the Churchmouse Website webmaster.


This site is a work in progress.


Main Page