Click for Lincolnshire map.
Buslingthorpe

Buslingthorpe, Lincolnshire.

Church of St. Michael.

 

Two or three miles north east of Snarford and ½ mile east of Faldingworth lies St Michael’s Church with just two or three cottages and a partially moated manor house to the east of the church.

The church at Buslingthorpe was declared redundant in 1984 is still usually open to visitors on obtaining the key as instructed. The nave and chancel were rebuilt by E.J. Willson in 1835 out of yellow brick but the short mediaeval west tower had the top part rebuilt also in the 19th century.

St Michael’s Church contains the brass to Sir Richard Boselyngthorpe, a half figure on a coffin lid which has some Lombardic lettering. This is one of the earliest military brasses in the country.  
There is an effigy with crossed legs of Sir John de Buslingthorpe and an incised slab to a priest as the sill in the west window.

This site is a work in progress.


Main Page