Click for Lincolnshire map.
Burton

Burton, Lincolnshire.

Church of St. Vincent.

 

A small wealthy dormitory village about 2 miles north of Lincoln along the Burton Ridge road. The village is approached by a left hand turn at the bottom of a dangerous dip with traffic lights. All houses or cottages are well kept.

The church of St Vincent has an inscription inside which states that the short west tower was built circa 1678 or slightly later and the bell openings are cross windows. The west doorway arch has been reconstructed from a late12th century arc slightly pointed. There is a hood mould of a frieze with small lobes.

The rest of the church dates from 1795-1796, the windows were gothicized later. In the north vestry are two windows with embattled transoms which would appear to be original perpendicular work.

 

There are also a couple of very nice stained glass windows from about the 1920’s

 

On the western gallery there is a small copy on copper of Bronzino’s Christ in Limbo
and two delightful paintings of saints.
 

 

On the wall is a War Memorial Tablet to five men of Burton who fell in the first world war.

 

Shown on the right is a small monument In memory of Christopher Randes-Died 1639 and his wife Katheren. This has small kneeling figures of Father and Four boys and Mother and three girls as well as a small babe in swaddling clothes and an unusual strap work decoration down each side. The remarkable thing is that the right hand side tassel actually manages to hang Upwards. It is assumed that this monument has been moved or restored since its original installation, and the decorated panel incorrectly reinserted.

 

The two hatchments (in good condition) have identical "partners" at South Carlton Just a few miles further north.

Right: This one is to William, Sixth Baron Monson +1862.

& Below Right: the other to Eliza Monson +1863.

 

The former Burton Hall was demolished in 1959 (except for the front of the house, built 1767-1771 by James Paine) when the second Lord Monson decided to transfer the Monson’s main residence from South Carlton to Burton.

The village is worth a stroll round as it looks very pretty.

 

 

Photograph: Peter Fairweather.

 


This site is a work in progress.


Main Page