Click for Lincolnshire map.
Broughton

Broughton, Lincolnshire

Church of St. Mary.

 

 

Broughton is a fairly Large village of modern housing is said by Pevsner to be disappointing compared to the church, but there are one or two buildings which he mentions, buildings such as the old Rectory of 1831 by George Ledwell Taylor of London. It is rendered and with a canted bay to the south. Maltkiln cottage dates back to 1715 and there is the remains of a tannery over the stream.

The old church of St Mary really is old and is thought to date back to the eleventh century, if not before. The west tower is built really on four levels of quite distinct masonry divisions. The top is Prpendicular with eight pinnacles and the masonry divisions are distinctly visible on the inside of the church, The second division is very neat herringbone masonry. To the west wall of the tower is a staircase attachment which is much more than semi-circular and is similar to the one at Hough on the Hill. On the east wall of the tower and visible from the nave is a flat headed doorway with ashlar jambs very high up over the tower arch.

Pevsner also states that Broughton church falls into the same category as St Peters at Barton on Humber where the tower was the towering body of the church with only a chancel to the east the foundations of which were found in 1895.The original stair of the tower survives up to the level of the second floor with stone treads separate from the newel again as Hough on the Hill.

It is said that the major alteration to the chancel and which turned the lofty nave into a west tower was carried out in the 12th century.

The three bay arcades are 14th century, the south one first having arches with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. The north arcade is similar but with ball flower decoration in the abaci. Under the south west pier is an Anglo Saxon stone carved with interlace.

The chancel is Early English and the East Window is of three lights with three foiled circles. The aisles and clerestory are Perpendicular. The rest is possibly from the restoration of 1871 and 1884. An old chapel to the north of the chancel was pulled down and the present north mortuary chapel was built 1660 to 1670.

The North chapel contains a fragmentary late 10th or early 11th century grave cover with a central cable and interlace each side. Between the North chapel and the chancel is a fine monument to a member of the Redford family. This monument has on it two effigies of circa 1375 on a tomb chest with shields in cusped fields. The opening between the chancel and the chapel has coarsely panelled arch with large head stops and a doorway to its left. In the chancel are large brasses of the late 14th century 5ft 10" long.

 

Sir Edmund Anderson who died in 1661 is shown in effigy as a wigged figure lying on his side propped on one elbow with a book in one hand. (The book of life perhaps?) on a large panelled tomb chest. This is attributed to Jasper Latham (1671) and is of alabaster.
Above this is a wall memorial with an inscribed plate and a bust on top. This is to Sir Edmund Anderson who died in 1676.

 

East Window
North Aisle West Window
South Aisle West Window
There is a stained glass window in the north aisle second from the west by Heaton Butler and Bayne 1893. They also did the north aisle west window and south aisle south west windows in 1907 and 1908. The east window is of 1872 and is by H. Hughes.

 


This site is a work in progress.


Back to the Main Page.