Click for Lincolnshire map.
Belton.

Belton, Lincolnshire.

The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

 

The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

Just north of Grantham, Belton is a complete estate village erected for the workers who serviced the large and elegant Belton House. The houses and other buildings seem to have been built mainly round bout 1830.

The Church of St Peter and St Paul stands at the roadside to the north between the house and gardens and the village street and originally dated back to around 1200. The bottom section of the west tower dates from this period whereas the top section dates from 1638.

Window, memorial to several members of the Brownlow and Cust families.
One of a pair, a small hanging wall monument to Adelbert Wellington Brownlow Cust, 3rd Earl and 4th Baron Brownlow, b 1844, d 1921 at Belton. Other of the pair is to his wife.
A "strawberry gothic" memorial, to John Hume (b 1812, d 1851), Vicount Alford, designed by Sir Gilbert Scott. It has an inlaid floriated cross, with brass and various coloured marbles inlaid on the tombchest.
Hanging wall monument, by J Bacon (1793), to Etheldred Ann Cust died 1788 aged 17 years.
A corner wall monument, to John William Spencer Brownlow, 2nd Earl Brownlow (b 1842, d 1867).
Wall monument, to the Honourable and Reverend Richard Cust MA, b 1785 d 1864. Memorial by William Theed the younger.
A hanging wall monument with putti top and bottom (a putto is a stone cherub), to William Brownlow Esquire, d 1726 aged 27. Monument is signed by Stanton & Horsenaile.
Flower decorated wall plaque, memorial to the Honourable Katherine Cust (b 1790 d 1827), and her sister the Honourable Mary Cust (b 1799 d 1822).
A detail from a large monumet set on columns to Henry John Cokayne Cust (b1861 d 1917) and his wife Emmeline Mary Elizabeth (called Nina) Cust (b 1867 d 1955). It was designed and made by Nina, who shares his tomb.

Monument to Sophia, Lady Bromnlow (died 1814 aged 26 and only four years married), wife of John Cust, 1st Earl Brownlow. Figure is by Antonio Canova and the unusual stance is because the figure originally held a large wooden cross, since lost.

This figure looks over the tomb of her husband.

Tomb of John Cust, 1st Earl Brownlow, Viscount Alford and 2nd Baron Brownlow (d 1853).

Detail of effigy below.

   

A wall tablet with a bronze plaque, surrounded by lilies. A memorial to Dorothy Carlotta (b 1907 d 1966). Wife of Pereguin, Lord Brownlow. The bronze plaque, top, is signed Barthé.

A hanging wall monument, to Alice, Lady Brownlowe (d 1721, aged 62) relict of Sir John Brownlowe of Belton. It was Alice who had the chancel of the church rebuilt.
Wall tablet, monument to Richard Brownlow Purey-Cust CBE DSO MC. (b 1888 d 1958).
Standing wall monument to Brownlow Lord Brownlow (b 1744 d 1807).
A small window in the church, quite early glass.

The church contains about 30 monuments many of which are classics of their time. They date from the very end of the seventeenth century right through the eighteenth, nineteenth and up to 1917. There are demi-figures full figures (4) and many different sculptors signed and unsigned. There are a number of monuments by such artists as W. Tyler, Edward Stanton, William Stanton, Westmacott. Henry Cheere, John Bacon, W. Theed, Joshua Marshall, Marochetti, Canova, Lady Feodora Gleichen and Nina Cust who designed and carved her husbands monument roundabout 1917, to name just two of the dead and the sculptors.

Firstly in the mortuary chapel which opens onto the nave at the north side there is a curious standing figure in a Greek style of dress. This is to Sophia Lady Brownlow who died in 1814 and she was the person for whom the chapel was built. The Grecian lady stands with one hand curiously raised aloft and the other one resting on a portrait medallion. The figure stands on a short Doric column which has a band of foliage round it and the composition is by Canova

The way the hand is held aloft puzzles many visitors because there seems to be no reason for it but the simple explanation is that she should by holding onto a large cross but it has disappeared .

The second figure which lies on a tomb chest is the effigy of the first Earl Brownlow complete in coronet and gazing sideways and upwards to his wife who held the cross, this monument being by Marochetti. These are just two of the beautiful monuments and the others are well worth seeing. If one finds difficulty in getting into the churchyard especially during the tourist season one can request entry and it should be granted. However if you would like to see round the house a ticket will gain you easy access to both the house, which is very well worthwhile, and church.

 


This site is a work in progress.


Back to the Main Page.