Brocklesby Hall, Brocklesby Mausoleum and Great Limber, Lincolnshire
All Saints Church, Brocklesby and the Church of St. Peter, Great Limber.
There is a large house of about 1710 which has been much altered and restored particularly in the 19th and 20th Centuries.
As James Wyatt was busy here in the 1780s some items in the locality are described as "Perhaps by James Wyatt". There are vases and an impressive monument in the house grounds which are made of coade stone and as James Wyatt was in the habit of designing items for the coade factory for his own use then perhaps the above sentence can be justified. The Holgate monument in the grounds comprises an urn on a triangular plinth standing on the backs of three tortoises.
The church which stands not far away is in itself not special but its contents are. It too has experienced much interference in the 18th, 19th & 20th Centuries to the fabric of the church, but the lectern dates back to the 17th Century and has an Eagle for the book rest. The organ case dates from 1778 and is attributed to James Wyatt. And is described as a "Beautiful elegant design".
There are several 16th to 20th century monuments.
|Sir William Pelham +1587 with his wife and children all kneeling with the males and females facing each other.|
Another tomb chest of Sir William Pelham of 1629 of alabaster with a male and female recumbent effigy, he is shown slightly raised above her as was the custom. There is a kings head at their feet and there are 16 children kneeling against the tomb chest.
|There is a tablet to Lord Worsley dated 1914 but of 17th century style.|
|There is a memorial to Marcia, Countess of Yarborough 1928, a standing figure with two small children all in white marble, and Charles, 4th Earl of Yarborough 1936 is a large wall tablet with his portrait and coat of arms.|
A couple of miles to the south of the house, just above the village of Great Limber, stands The Brocklesby Mausoleum by James Wyatt. Architect. His idea of the temples of Vesta at Tivoli and Rome.
|The mausoleum was built for and commemorates Sophia Aufrere who died as a young woman in 1786 and it was completed in 1792. It was placed on top of an existing mound which proved to be an
existing grave site of a round barrow with burial urns of the Anglo Saxon period.
|Inside the Mausoleum are three large monuments round the walls and in the centre beneath a painted glass ceiling by Francis Eginton stands the sculpted white marble figure of Sophia carved by
Joseph Nollekins (1791).
The Mausoleum is well worth seeing and one should enquire at the post office in Great Limber for directions.
The church of St Peter at Great Limber was "much restored" by Butterfield. It contains a monument of 1850 to William Richardson. In the north aisle is a window by Charles Eamer Kempe1890. The East
window is by Wailes to a design by Butterfied and 2 chancel windows probably the same.
This site is a work in progress.
Back to the Main Page.