RUCKSACK AND RAIL 0N THE ESK VALLEY TRAIL
I have often thought that a comprehensive guide could be produced giving details of lots of walking opportunities letting the train take the strain and stopping off at various watering holes along the way. There was one many years ago giving details of all the Camerons houses along the railway. Later another was produced giving details of where one can hop off and back on the train with a walk in between. What I have tried to do is combine the two also making it easy for the less accomplished who have difficulty in reading maps.
All the walks are based on catching the 1030 Middlesbrough to Whitby train and the 1605 return.
Five friends who once all worked on the railway,is this a younger version of Summer Wine ?
1. COMMONDALE TO DANBY via Ainthorpe 5 miles
2. COMMONDALE TO DANBY
3. GREAT AYTON TO CASTLETON via Gribdale,Sleddale and Commondale
4. KILDALE TO CASTLETON via Cleveland Way, Baysdale Abbey & Sloethorne Park
5. EGTON BRIDGE TO CASTLETON via Lealholm side & Danby Beacon
6. KILDALE TO CASTLETON via Baysdale Abbey, Hograh Moor & Westerdale
7. THE ESKDALE INN CASTLETON
IFYOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS ON THIS SITE PLEASE EMAIL TO
Number of Visitors from 8 October 2000 is
Last updated 18 June 2004