ESSAYS ON VARIOUS SUBJECTS
- The Clavichords of C. P. E. Bach and Haydn, talk delivered at the British Clavichord Society meeting in London, 21 November 1998.
- Link to: Understanding the clavichord, a talk delivered to the British Clavichord Society meeting in Kendal, Cumbria, in 2003.
- Aspects of Clavichord Design and Set-up, a talk delivered to the British Clavichord Society meeting in Edinburgh in 2002.
- The Temperament of the Donat Clavichord, web-site essay, July 2002.
- Twined strings for Clavichords. This is a new and updated essay, replacing the Workshop News of November 2003
- Two Books on Temperament: a review (which first appeared in BCS Newsletter 41) of recent books by Ross Duffin and Alexander Mackenzie of Ord.
- Arnold Dolmetschs Clavichord-Making in the Years before 1914: full text of an article which first appeared in De Clavicordio VIII (proceedings of the 2007 Magnano Clavichord Symposium). NB.: this is a PDF file – you will need Adobe Reader to access this document. See also Research Documents below.
- Clavichord Making in the 1890s and Today, article that appeared in the William Morris Society Newsletter, Summer 2007. NB.: this is a PDF file – you will need Adobe Reader to access this document.
The following is a selection of past issues of Workshop News:
- Restoration (August 2001)
- Starting a new instrument (December 2001)
- Swedish clavichords (May 2002)
- Taking on a trainee (September 2002)
- Setting up a clavichord (March 2004)
- Thoughts on copying (May 2005)
- Making and using over-wound strings (September 2005)
- Sustain, and how to achieve it (July 2006)
- Decoration on clavichords(August 2007)
- Variability in design of old clavichords(December 2007)
- A list of surviving clavichords with short-and-broken bass octave. Updated April 2008.
- A checklist of keyboard instruments in the St Petersburg Museum. Updated March 2008.
- A checklist of clavichords made by members of the Schiedmayer family. Updated March 2008.
- Surviving clavichords attributed to Johann Heinrich Silbermann. Updated March 2011.
- Link to The Arnold Dolmetsch Clavichord of 1896–7 in the Edinburgh University Collection: a restoration report by John Barnes. (PDF – you will need Adobe Reader to access this document).
Go to current Workshop News
[Return to Contents]