The Diary of a Pulse Rifle


21/04/2002 - 15/06/2002

I decided to put a "real" barrel in it for the grenade launcher.  I have some metal replica grenades, so I wanted the barrel to be the exact size for these to fit in.  I ended up looking all over for the correct tubing, but had to settle for copper pipe that was the correct internal diamater, but was slightly thinner than I would have liked.

I had to cut out the hole in the shotgun part which was a bit tricky.  It is in two parts so I could use a domed attachment on an electric drill to cut out the grove on each side.  It took a while to get right but the barrel eventually fit the hole.
I have also glued the two main parts together (and screwed them together) and started filling in the gaps, screw holes etc. with Milliput:
pics/pr/pr21.jpg
pics/pr/pr23.jpg
pics/pr/pr24.jpg

Here is the grenade barrel construction:
pics/pr/pr25.jpg
pics/pr/pr22.jpg
pics/pr/pr20.jpg

At this point I thought I would add another bit of customisation :-)
I added a trigger for the grenade launcher, as the resin cast didn't have one.  The first step involved destroying a toy cap gun.  I salvaged the pieces I needed:
pics/pr/pr28.jpg

I then cut some groves and holes into the area where the trigger would go:
pics/pr/pr27.jpg
pics/pr/pr26.jpg

And then I put it together:
pics/pr/pr40.jpg
pics/pr/pr35.jpg
pics/pr/pr36.jpg
pics/pr/trigger.gif

I sanded all the putty so that it would be ready for spraying:
pics/pr/pr37.jpg
pics/pr/pr38.jpg

After spraying with grey primer:
pics/pr/pr45.jpg
pics/pr/pr39.jpg

The shotgun part was ready, so I glued it and screwed it together, then filled in the gaps with putty:
pics/pr/pr42.jpg
pics/pr/pr41.jpg
pics/pr/pr43.jpg

This was then sprayed with primer:
pics/pr/pr47.jpg
pics/pr/pr48.jpg

The stock now needs adding to the shroud.  This was also screwed in as well as glued:
pics/pr/pr46.jpg
pics/pr/pr44.jpg

Time for another custom made thing.  I wanted to have the domed screws in the main shroud (the ones that would hold it together on a real one).  I only had holes on my kit where they would go, so I made some out of putty.  First I found a steel ball of the correct size and stuck some wet putty around half of it, then when that had set hard I stuck some wet putty into my mold so I ended up with a nice domed screw head.  Then I stuck an Alan key into the top to finish it off:
pics/pr/pr50.jpg
pics/pr/pr49.jpg

Here is a pic of the whole thing sprayed with primer:
pics/pr/pr51.jpg