This week’s thoughts
Loosely inspired by John Baez’s wonderful series This
Week’s Finds in Mathematical Physics, these are really
just little essays on anything at all. The only similarity is that they
won’t come out every week. Some of the early ones have a
‘science meets the real world’ feel about them, but this is
already wearing off.
Historical note: This Week’s Finds is pretty much
what we would now call a blog, following Baez’s various interests
wherever they happen to take him, though the site predates the term by
several years. The following, however, are a set of old-fashioned
essays; they are not in any sense a log, diary, journal or other
periodically maintained text referring to recent occurrences, except in
the loosest senses of ‘periodically’, ‘recent’
and ‘occurrences’. If I was naming the set now I
would have picked another title; but it’s too late.
- How many beans make 2000?
- Week 1: How to add two numbers together and smooth the answer a bit.
- So what is teleportation,
- Week 2: Why things aren’t weird unless they are.
- Week 3
- is still unfinished after all that time.
- The storm cloud of the twentieth
- Week 4: Art at the crossroads — and the beaches, and the
- Week 5
- may appear when I’ve polished it off, you know how lazy I am.
- Worlds within, worlds without
- Week 6: The House of Life and world-making in science fiction.
- That’s a nice knockdown
- Week 7: But what does it mean?
- Week 8
- Another missing one, sorry. This was going to be about gardens
and distance, but having left the garden it all went out of my
- The Myth of the Myth of Progress
- Week 9: and the progress of myth.
- Right is Right
- Week 10: the right wing attack on human rights legislation is not
merely off target, it is unsustainable.
- Lesser Britain
- Week 11: who says we’re not British?
- Self-expression, innit?
- Week 12: no, anything doesn’t go.
- The facts, and how to give them
- Week 13: good and bad habits in television documentaries
- Plastic hinges
- Week 14: why is no one else worried about them?
- The importance of going left or right, but
- Week 15: towpaths, bicycles, arbitrary decisions and the future of
the human race
- Speech after long
- Week 16: the emptiness of thought after destruction
- Showing Character
- Week 17: the destructive emptiness of not thinking
- Free or equal?
- Week 18: are equality and liberty compatible, and if so how?