Ordnance Insignia of the British Army
Good Conduct, Overseas
Service and Wound Stripes
(The following applied to the Army as a whole)
Strips were awarded to Privates and Lance Corporals, and were
worn on the left lower sleeve.
Once promoted to Corporal (2nd Corporal before 1920) they had to be removed.
The wearing of Good Conduct Stripes ceased in the Ordnance Corps in 1972
2 Years, 6 Years, 12 Years and 18 Years Good Conduct Stripes.
With example of 18 Years Good Conduct Stripes along with 3 Wounds Strips on Left Sleeve.
Overseas Service Stripes were awarded in 1918
and could be worn in combination with Good Conduct Stripes, and
were not limited to junior ranks.
One Blue Chevron was worn for each years service overseas, with a Red Chevron indicating that the soldier went overseas before 31st December 1914.
Four Blue Chevrons and One Red Chevron was the maximum awarded.
Wound Strips were first awarded in World War One
There was no limit to the number of Wound Strips that could be awarded
The rules for
wearing Wound Strips in World War Two were a little differant and
was set out in ACI 233 dated February 1944.
The Wound Strip was issued as a 1½" length of Gold Braid stiched to the Battle Dress Blouse
instead of a Gilded Bar and cotter pin as used in World War One.
One Length of Red Braid was permitted to denoted the award of any number of Wound Strips in the World War One.
M Comerford - September 2003 - HTML Revision 1