According to a hotel guide, the existing house was built in 1860 for a cotton
magnate, but this does not appear to fit in with the information obtained
from papers in the archives. It is perhaps more likely that the house was
built or altered by Charles Williams (possibly the 'cotton magnate') after
he acquired it in 1865.
In the twentieth century Penmaenuchaf passed from J. Leigh Taylor to the Scotts,
his daughter and son-in-law, and to their daughter and son-in-law the Wynne-Joneses.
Captain, later Major, Charles Llewelyn Wynne-Jones lived at Penmaenuchaf between 1920
and 1973 at least, and the house was then sold to a Mr Miller [Ian Gavin Miller]
before being acquired by the current owners.
The stable block, located slightly to the west of the house, consists of two-storey,
stone-built stables (with a central circular window on the upper floor and a bell turret)
and cottage, with single-storey coach house, around three sides of a square; the
bothy is an oddly shaped building squeezed into the angle of the north-east corner,
on the end of the stables. All have slate roofs and have now been converted to dwellings.
The yard is a mixture of concrete and gravel, with a few old stone setts showing
(and probably more under the modern surface).
The rear drive up from Penmaenpool passes along the south side of the yard, and along this,
completing the square, is a row of stone sheds and garages, with another yard to the
south containing some semi-derelict corrugated iron sheds, one of which contains a
water wheel which formerly provided power to the stable block. These sheds replace
apparently more substantial buildings in this area shown on the 1901 map.
The stone buildings in this complex look contemporary with each other and with the house,
and are probably of nineteenth century date. On the old 25 in. maps, although roughly
the same buildings as at present are represented, the layout appears to be slightly different,
and it is possible that some rebuilding took place later. The siting of the buildings would
have been equally suitable before and after the alteration to the main drive (see below).
The kitchen garden wall is carried on opposite the east side of the Bothy and carriage house
(with a track in between), and then a wall continues alongside the disused track off to
the south-east; these walls close off the stables area from the curve of the drive
and the garden, with a wide gateway giving access. This now has solid wooden gates
on rebuilt stone piers.
There is a small enclosure behind part of the stable building which may be kennels,
chicken run or aviary. It seems to be of fairly recent construction, although some
of the materials are old.
The stable block, located slightly to the west of the house.
Bothy and rear of stables in 1978
Kennels (in 1978) at right of rear of stables (north side)
Stable Cottage, Penmaenuchaf
(photo taken Dec. 2005).