This now appears to be largely natural, though it is shown as mixed woodland on the early maps;
probably conifers were added to the natural woodland, and have now died or been felled.
There is planted evergreen undergrowth to the west, but not to the south.
East of the grassy bank, south of the garden, another small overgrown area within an
iron fence seems to contain more fruit trees and the remains of some small buildings.
This is very close to the Bothy and may have been the potting sheds/work area, although
it is on a steep slope. Further to the south-east is the small vegetable garden now used
by the occupiers of the Bothy, which also seems to be on a sloping terrace.
On the grassy bank there are a couple of box bushes and a small rockery, the latter
probably quite recent. The grassy path goes up between this and the overgrown area
mentioned above, with some revetting on the east side. It leads into the wider path
or track which comes round the eastern side of the coach house and past the Bothy,
just inside the extension of the garden wall which separates this area from the main
drive and forecourt.
Information from Ms Lorraine Fielding and Mr M. Caton. Catalogue of papers in district archives, Dolgellau, including a plan dated 1860 (Z/DBQ 54) .
Welsh Rarebits (hotel guide).
[Cadw Report Ends]
An old iron fence near the Bothy (right) encloses part of the old vegetable garden at Penmaenuchaf.
An old potting shed at the top of the vegetable garden.