first Bulwell Hall, which was known as Bulwell Wood Hall, was situated at
Hempshill. In 1540, during the reign of Henry VIII, land known as Bulwell Wood
was given to Sir John Byron, Knight of the realm ,
who built a substantial manor there.
1765 Mr. William Chaworth of Annesley Hall, ventured to assert that
the Manor of Bulwell was the property of Sir Charles Sedley. Lord Byron
challenged Mr. Chaworth and the pair fought a duel in a dark room at the
Nottinghamshire Club in Pall-Mall, London. Mr. Chaworth was mortally wounded;
Lord Byron was found guilty of manslaughter by a Jury of Peers. He was
eventually let-off the charge under the statute of Edward the Sixth. This
relates to the Hall at Hempshill.
1711 during the reign of Queen Anne, a Godfrey Wentworth was then Lord of the
Estate then reached far beyond Bulwell as we now know it. Godfrey Wentworth
died, and on April 24th. 1723, Dorothy, the Lady Wentworth and William
Wentworth, became the Trustees of the Estate on the behalf of his son, Godfrey
Wentworth an infant under the age of twenty-one. He eventually became Lord of
the Manor and it was he who sold the land to John Newton where the Hall was
Newton built Bulwell Hall in1770 and it was first called Pye Wipe Hall. He died
November 13th 1820. His son who should have acquired the Estate died twelve days
later on the 25th. Upon the death of these, his Grandfather and Uncle, the Rev.
Alfred Padley acquired the Estate and Hall by Will.
Padley aged fifty. His wife Selina aged forty-seven and son Alfred Padley aged
twenty. There were also nine servants employed.
Census of 1851 gives a little more information
and shows the following details: -
Padley, aged 60yrs. Curate of Bulwell. Born Burton Joyce, Nottingham
(Wife) aged 56yrs. Born Nottingham
Seaman, aged 63 yrs. Gamekeeper. Born “Unknown”
Welbourne, aged 30yrs. Butler. Born Plungar, Leicestershire.
Kirkham, aged 27 yrs. Groom. Born Bulcote, Nottinghamshire.
Hall, aged 44 yrs. Cook. Born London.
Henson, aged 25yrs. Lady’s Maid, Born Beeston, Nottinghamshire
Clarke, aged 27yrs. House Maid, Born Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Juke, aged l8yrs. Kitchen Girl. Born Ratcliffe, Nottinghamshire
Bolton, aged 80yrs. Mother-in-law to the Rev. A. Padley. Born Ashbourne Hall
Fowler, aged 27yrs. Maid to Selina Bolton. Born Yorkshire ???
Census of 1861
J. A. Padley, aged 39yrs. Clergyman without holding, Born Alresford, Essex
did not have a Parish. “Probably unemployed”)
Ramsbottom, aged l9 yrs. (visitor) Medical Student. Born Middlesex. London
Seaman, aged 74yrs. Gamekeeper. Born Westburyholt, Essex.
Archer, aged 32yrs. Maid. Born Beeston. Nottinghamshire.
Moore aged 1 9yrs. Footman. Born Ratcliffe-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire.
Kirkham, aged 45 yrs. Coachman. Born Bulcote. Nottinghamshire
Richmond aged 34yrs. Cook. Born Normanton-on-the-Wolds, Nottinghamshire.
Fryer, aged 32yrs. Housemaid. Born Ratcliffe-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire.
Paulson, aged l8 yrs. Housemaid. Born Keyworth, Nottinghamshire
Bailey, aged 18yrs. Kitchen Maid. Born Kinoulton, Nottinghamshire
Tuesday 25th October 1864 the Hall went up for auction at the George
Hotel, Nottingham. The auctioneers were Wilkinson & Horne, (The catalogue
can be seen in the A3 file) The Hall and Estate at this time were owned by the
Rev. Charles J. A. Padley, son of the Rev. Alfred Padley. It was sold to Samuel
"BULWELL hall estate"
parishes of BULWELL and Hucknall torkard
About Four Miles from the important Town of Nottingham, 9 Miles from Mansfield, and close to the Bulwell Station on the Midland Railway, a fine part of the
county of Nottingham,
it comprises a
noble and elegant mansion,
with attached and detached offices,
Nicely Timbered Park, Beautiful Lawns, Pleasure Grounds and Gardens, Conservatory, Forcing Houses, &c.
"rigg hill," "Wilkinson's ," " far lens," & "north Hempshill," farms,
With good Farm-houses, Buildings and cottages, valuable Properties in the Village, consisting of numerous Dwelling Houses, Shops, and Public Houses,
cotton and corn mills, starch and bleach works,
two desirable family residences and accommodation lands,
The whole extending over about
one thousand acres
Of fine Arable, Meadows, Pastures, and Wood Land, also
the manor and advowson of BULWELL,
With right of next presentation, and
the valuable minerals;
Which will be Sold by auction, by Messrs.
Wilkinson & horne,
At the " George" Hotel" Nottingham,
on Tuesday, 25th. day of OCTOBER, 1864.
At 12 for 1 o: Clock precisely.
several dwelling houses, shops, cottages,
and enclosures of
the manor of BULWELL
with its valuable rights and appurtenances, and
the perpetual advowson
and next presentation to the rectory of BULWELL
under the estate are
valuable and extensive seams of coal,
now being worked, and producing a very considerable income; there are also
lime and stone quarries, yielding annually a large quantity of the BULWELL stone,
for which there is great demand in Nottingham and neighborhood.
the river Leen affords excellent fishing, there is good shooting, and mr. muster,s fox hounds meet within easy reach.
the present rentals derived from the several tenants are very low, and might fairly be considerably increased.
the mansion, offices, grounds, and park, which are in hand, are in the most perfect order, and present a most enjoyable occupation for the immediate reception of family of the first respectability, and the various properties offer
sound and permanent investments
the mode of sub-dividing this important estate as follows viz.:--
the elegant mansion,
with is beautiful grounds, park, plantations, & lands.
the mansion, which is placed so as to command the finest views, is approached from the high road by a drive of nearly a mile, winding through the park, which is ornamented by some old oaks and sheets of water, and terminating with an avenue of young limes.
It is most substantially built of stone, has two wings, clock tower, and a noble portico entrance which forms a very prominent feature in front, and the interior of the building generally is fitted in accordance with its commanding exterior
the accommodation consists of
0n the upper floor-
large day and night nurseries, four good bed rooms, and staircase to the roof.
on the first floor-
spacious landing 16 feet by 14feet 6, six large bed chambers, dressing room, morning room, bath room, housemaid's room, water closet, and in the left wing, a well lighted billiard room 27 feet 6 by 17 feet 12 feet high, with lavatory and water closet adjoining.
on the ground or principal floor-
noble entrance hall 41 feet 8 long by 14 feet 6 in which is placed the principal staircase with carved oak and spiral balusters and two marbled columns, noble dining room 28 feet by 19 feet 6, with carved mantle-piece and enriched cornices, library 19 feet by 15 feet, elegant drawing room 19 feet square communicating by a pair of richly gilded maple and pollard oak folding doors, with-
a magnificent drawing room 37 feet by 20 feet and 15 feet high,
with bay windows, opening on to the pleasure grounds, handsome statuary marble and gilded mantle-piece, the ceiling, cornices, and walls beautifully decorated and finished with great taste, the whole forming,
a suite of very handsome reception rooms.
the domestic offices--
which are well arranged , comprise a large kitchen, scullery, servants hall, housekeeper's room, butler's pantry, cool larder, cook's room, china closet, boot-house, secondary staircase to the upper floors, a staircase leading to a good laundry, man's bed room and store room, a large coal place with room over, and extensive wine and beer cellars in the basement.
the out offices
which are partly attached to the main building, consist of a brew-house, yard, and water closet, capital paved carriage yard with folding entrance gates, stabling for four horses , double coach-house, harness room with loft and storage over, coal place, water closet, enclosed dung pit, and pump giving a good supply of water; and at a short distance is additional stabling for six horses, coach-house, harness room and loft, range of dog kennels, other buildings, and paddock.
in front of the residence are lawns, and an elegant balustrade with ornamental iron entrance gates, leading to a carriage drive and park.
the beautiful pleasure grounds
are laid out with great taste in
lawns, flower gardens, shrubberies, and plantations,
filled with a profusion of choice young American and ornamental shrubs, and intersected by delightful gravel walks,
a handsome conservatory 42 feet in length.
Census of 1871
Beatrice Cooper, aged 5 yrs. (Daughter). Scholar. Born London.
Cooper aged 37 yrs. Widow. Annuitant. Born Edinburgh.
Ann Barber, aged 40 yrs. (Married). Visitor. Annuitant. Born Edinburgh
Barber, aged 37 yrs. Unmarried. Visitor. Annuitant. Born Edinburgh.
Antonia Collinson, aged l0 yrs. Scholar. Visitor. Born Doncaster, Yorkshire
Marr aged 36 yrs. Unmarried. Housekeeper. Born Thwaite, Yorkshire.
Anton, aged 38 yrs. Unmarried. Ladies Maid.
Born Ripon, Yorkshire
Faucett, aged 28 yrs. Unmarried. Upper Housemaid. Born Marston, Derbyshire
Douthwaite, aged 25 yrs. Unmarried. Kitchen maid. Born Tollerton,
Woolf, aged 25 yrs. Unmarried. Housemaid. Born Kingstone, Hereford
Kirkham, aged 25 yrs. Unmarried. Nursemaid. Born Hucknall, Nottinghamshire
Bowler, aged l9 yrs. Unmarried. Housemaid Born Stavely, Derbyshire
Jenkins, aged l9 yrs. Unmarried. Scullery-maid. Born Middlesex
Simmonds, aged 39 yrs. Married. Butler. Born Middlesex.
the l9th November 1877 there was a mass protest of some 4-5000
people on the Village Green claiming that the land between the Midland
Station and the River Leen had been illegally taken from the public by S.T.
Cooper Esq., Lord of the Manor. This land (known locally as the Bogs) had been
unenclosed common land for 50 years.
then site of the village green was where the National School now stands and
across to the site where the Adelphi Cinema stood and to the banks of the River
Leen beyond. The road which ran around the back of where the school stands, from
Ragdale Road on to Hucknall Lane was known as Bulwell Green.
Census of 1881
Beatrice Cooper, aged 15 yrs. (Head of Family) Born London
Ann Barber, aged 48 yrs. (Aunt) Landowner. Born Edinburgh.
Tehoek, aged 2l yrs. (???) Born Germain, France.
Paige, aged 36 yrs. Unmarried. Butler. Born Tamerton, Devon
Spring, aged 21 yrs. Unmarried. Footman. Born Redbourn, Hertfortshire
Clarke, aged 1 8 yrs. Unmarried. Footman. Born London
Keen, aged 37 yrs. Married. Housekeeper, Born Cauldwell, Derbyshire
Holland, aged 32 yrs. Unmarried. Cook. Born Great Malvern, Worcestershire
Cupit, aged 22 yrs. Unmarried. Kitchen maid. Born Duffield, Derbyshire
Fauke, aged 23 yrs. Unmarried. Scullery maid. Born Tarrington, Herefordshire
Anne McAvoy, aged 26 yrs. Unmarried. Housemaid. Born Cockermouth, Cumberland
Agnes Ashmore, aged 32 yrs. Unmarried. Housemaid. Born Nottinghamshire
LeMaice, aged 28 yrs. Unmarried. School-room Maid. Born, Orleans, France.
Bulwell Hall Stables
Thomas NISBETT (Head) Aged 31 Married Occ. Gardener Born Papplewick Notts. England
Elizabeth NISBETT (Wife) Aged 28 Married Born Ryoxall Stafford England.
Margaret Anne NISBETT (daur) Aged 7m Born Bulwell Nottingham England
Charles WILLEY ( Head) Aged 43 Occ. Farm Foreman (Bailiff) Born Mumby Lincoln England.
Sarah WILLEY (Wife) Aged 43 Born Flagsthorpe Lincoln England.
John WIFFIN (Head) Aged 42 Married Occ. Coachman Born Lincoln England
Jane WIFFIN (Wife) Aged 37 Born Lincoln England.
Mary Ann WIFFIN Daur,) Aged 10 Born Lincoln England.
William HENSTOCK Head U Aged 25 Occ. Groom Born Cotgrave Nottingham England.
Joseph BAGALEY Boarder U Aged 19 Occ. Groom Born Edingley England.
John CLEMENCE Boarder U Aged 21 Occ. Groom Born Radford Nottingham England.
Bulwell Hall Lodge.
William ELLIOTT (Head) Aged 66 Occ. Night Watchman Born Bulwell Nottingham England
Ann ELLIOTT (Wife) Aged 67 Occ. House Work (Domestic Servant) Born Bulwell Nottingham.
Census of 1891
Kemp, aged 47 yrs. Caretaker Labourer. Born Heydon, Norfolk
M. Kemp, aged 41 yrs. (Wife) Born Latchthorpe, Norfolk
appears the Hall was unoccupied at the time of the census. This would be around
the period between the Cooper’ s ownership and the Hardy’ s.
NOTTINGHAM SUBURBS THEN AND NOW
Newton Esq. of Bulwell House
is a stone tablet in St. Mary’s Church which records that he died on November
13th. 1820 aged 84 yrs. and of his son Colonel Robert Sacheveral Newton who died
on the 25th day of the same month aged 58yrs. Their mortal remains were
deposited in a vault on the North West side of the old Church. The internment’
s being on November 2 5th. 1820 and December 1st. respectively The Rev. Alfred
Padley was Lord of the Manor, Patron of the Living, one of the Curates, but not
the Rector. On January 11th. 1828 there was conveyed to
him by Godfrey Wentworth Esq., the Manor and Avowson, (that is the right to
present the Rector), together with Hempshill Hall and certain farm lands forming
the Hempshill Estate containing 395 acres, 2 roods, and 26 perches for the sum
of £19,253. The Southern boundary of this land was Alfreton Road and the
Eastern boundary the road from the Cinderhill Toll-gate to Bulwell. Hempshill
Hall and Farm, were afterwards resold to Mr. Holden.
Rev. Alfred Padley, upon the death of his Grandfather, John Newton and of his
Uncle, Colonel Robert Sacheveral Newton, acquired by will and codicil the Hall
Estate Other lands he purchased or acquired by exchange from various persons.
was a man of kindly heart and broad sympathies; When members of the New
Methodists went to him about 1835 and asked him to sell to them some land upon
which to build a Chapel ,he replied “No I will not sell you any land” and
then added, “I will give it to you”. The Primitive Methodists have a similar
story, "Measure as much land as you like, and be sure you take enough.”
1833 he had made a donation of £200 to the Highway Account and the thanks of
the Easter Vestry were accorded
to him. It is thought that the £200 was used for the building of the bridge
over the River Leen, (the Stone Bridge from the Market Place to the Horse Shoe
Inn and the Railway Station.)
had a shell placed in the wall of his Entrance Hall to serve the uses of a font,
where he baptized infants taken to him. This was not regarded as unusual at the
time, for the Vicar of Hucknall went round to farm-houses and baptized the
children there. Reverend Padley also gave £600 towards the re-building work of
St. Mary’s Church. He died on May l1th 1856.
many people think the Rev. Alfred Padley was Rector, I give you a copy of an
epitaph from the churchyard of Hickleton (near Doncaster). "Sacred to the
memory of the Rev. John Wentworth Armytage B.A. For 48 years Perpetual Curate of
this parish, and 47 years Rector of Bulwell in Nottinghamshire. Died the 12th
day of April 1865 in the 72nd year of his age”.
Rev. John Dalton in forwarding the above copy adds, “Between the dates
1814-1816, I think he baptized every child in the Register”. Under an Act of
Parliament, Perpetual Curates and Incumbents are now called Vicars.
1873, Mrs. Annie Cooper (widow of Samuel Thomas Cooper) spent £600 to put a
better organ into the Parish Church. She was still alive in 1814 aged about 82
years. Samuel Thomas Cooper bought by auction the Bulwell Hall Estate in 1864 as
mentioned in a previous paragraph, he built the National School at a cost of £3000
providing for the education of 518 children.
He died in 1871 aged 39 years.
next family to occupy the Hall was the family of Thomas Hardy of Kimberley, who
was the founder of the
Hardy-Hanson Brewery. He lived there until his death in 1897 aged 64. At the
time of the 1891 census the Hall was only occupied by a caretaker, so the
Hardy’ s were not then in residence. Little is known about this period until
1908 when Alderman Albert Ball purchased the Hall and 575
acres with mineral rights for £35,000 (It is said that one of the
Jennisons, who started the Bellevue Zoo at Manchester, missed
the sale because the train was hall-an-hour late. It was his
intention to buy the Hall
and start the zoo at Bulwell instead of Manchester).
In later years he sold off 225 acres to Nottingham Corporation, which was
used to build Bulwell Hall Housing Estate. The Hall and the rest of the Estate
was given to become a Public Park.
the 1930’s the Hall became a sanatorium. In 1937 a proposal to adapt the Hall
as an Approved School for 90 boys was accepted without comment by the Education
Committee. Shortly after the outbreak of World War II the Hall was taken over by
the Army. First by the South Notts. Hussars Field Artillery, followed by the
local Regiment of the Sherwood Foresters. About 1943-44 it became an Italian POW
camp Much damage was done and it was further damaged by mining subsidence. It
was demolished in1958.