Cadder Freestone No 1584 has now taken the first three
steps in Freemasonry.
22nd 1961 can be considered the First Degree , when the Lodge
was formally consecrated at Bishopbriggs memorial
1st 1978. The Second Degree, the consecration of the
new Masonic Halls at 5 Mungo Street.
10th 1982. The Third Degree, the consecration of the
Lodge Cadder Freestone's Masonic Temple.
timing of the present ceremonies couldn't be better,
for it was in the month of March 1961, that the Lodge
Cadder Freestone took its first tentative steps.
some time there has been a feeling among local
Brethren that a lively, expanding community like
Bishopbriggs needed another Masonic lodge. Inspired
mainly by Bro. John Black P.M 441 and George Phillips
P.M 27, it was decided to test the water. A notice
appeared in the local Post Office informing interested
parties that a meeting would be held in the Memorial
Hall on Wednesday, March 29th.
Brethren attended, and there was so much enthusiasm
for the idea, there was never any doubt a new Lodge
would be formed. The proposal was moved by Bro. Robert
McCarroll P.M 1259. Approval was unanimous.
further meetings, 120 founder members, among them 19
Past Masters, signed the Petition to Grand Lodge.
the same time there was much groundwork to be done.
Cash was raised, furnishings and fittings donated.
pressing matter was a name for the Lodge. the
committee favoured Cadder St John. But Bro. John
Clarkson P.M 570 suggested "Cadder
significance of the name was that in the late 1800's,
there were several freestone quarries in the
Bishopbriggs area (freestone is a soft, malleable type
of stone). All this was explained by Bro. Clarkson,
whose trade, appropriately, was a stonemason.
name and background were perfect. Cadder Freestone it
the crest. It had to incorporate so much of what the
new Lodge was to stand for. So there was the
Bishop’s Mitre to tie in with Bishopbriggs, which
was once Church land. The Roman Eagle connected with
Romans, who once occupied this district and were
skilled operative masons. The Ashlars and Mallet gave
a link with the freestone quarries. The Boar’s Head,
once a banqueting dish, signified the hospitality of
the Lodge. The Square, Compasses and Thistles need no
And so the foundations were laid and Lodge Cadder
Freestone No 1584 was formally erected and consecrated
on November 22 1961, by Bro Ernest Noakes, Provincial
Grand master of Glasgow.
For those who like a little nostalgia, the dinner menu
that November evening, complete with comments, was –
Scotch Broth (All sprung from the same stock); Sole a
la Balmuildy (Food for thought); Cadder Pie (Fit for
Freestone Founders); Ruffian Melba (That last and
greatest trial); and coffee (Nothing now remains).
The new lodge, with Bro John Black as the first Right
Worshipful Master, wasted no time in getting down to
Masonic work. The opening degree was for Mark Masters.
This was mainly for the benefit of several founder
members who were from English Lodges.
Next came a First Degree, ands it’s interesting to
note that of the first five candidates who came
forward, two, Walter Bell and George Ward, went on to
become Masters of the Lodge. Walter has another
distinction. His is the first new name on the Cadder
Freestone roll (No 121).
Visitations were always a highlight of the young
Lodge’s meetings in the Memorial Hall and most
colourful of all was in 1964 when the Virginian
Craftsmen were guests. The American’s weren’t
qualified to do degree work, but instead exemplified a
Degree, carrying out the ritual dresses in the
costumes and uniforms of the American War of
As the Lodge matured and built its traditions, a
feeling began to grow that maybe they should have
premises of their own, a Masonic Temple. The feeling
gathered strength around 1975 and was perhaps given a
nudge forward when rent for the memorial Hall was
increased from £3 to £18.
So the search began. The Gospel Hall in Crowhill Road
was looked at as well as the old West of Scotland Rubber
it was heard that the premises of J. Fraser, Builders,
in St Mungo Street, were available. Here was the
perfect site. Just an ordinary house and garden plus a
stretch of land, but with the potential to develop
first a social club then eventually, the whole purpose
of the exercise, a Masonic Temple.
deal was quickly struck with Mr Fraser and from
July,1976,the new home of Lodge Cadder Freestone
was 5 St Mungo Street, Bishopbriggs.
this, of course, needed money to buy and extend the
property. Loans were negotiated through the bank and
brewers. But the Lodge had to find over £8.000
itself. Interest-free loans from Brethren were
requested. Various money-raising ventures like
"Buy a Brick" were tried. Slowly but surely
the cash target was reached.
complete plans for the Lodge Cadder Freestone of the
future were drawn up and passed. And the foundation
stone of the new buildings was laid by Bro Brian G.
Brown, Provincial Grand Master, on October 23, 1976.
was a memorable day. Before the ceremony, for the
first time ever, a Masonic Parade was held through
Bishopbriggs, and many sister Lodges sent
if future generations ever come to re-develop the
present buildings, they'll find a bit of history with
the foundation stone. On that October day when it was
laid, coins of the realm, a daily newspaper, Masonic
treasures and other significant items were buried with
the stone and will remain there as long as it does.
the ceremonies over, now was the time for volunteers
to come forward to help with the building. There was
no shortage of tradesmen or willing helpers.
soon started. Phase One was the conversion of the
original house into a social club with, at first, the
old living room being used as a lounge. The start was
made there simply because money was needed to pay for
the project and what better way to generate cash than
via a social club?
building programme went along nicely. Although there
were set backs here and there. At one stage, as
foundations for the main hall were being dug,
underground water was discovered. For a time you might
have thought the Lodge had invested in a duck pond.
But that problem was overcome.
one day the local fire brigade had to arrive in a
hurry after a helper was over-zealous with his rubbish
fire and set alight some nearby bushes. Red faces all
the while the Lodge continued its Masonic work
and activities in the community. Joint functions
continued to be held with the Catenian Circle in aid
of the mentally handicapped, and there were other
fund-raising efforts for several charities.