The covered reservoir at Hanchurch stands 400 feet higher than Mill Meece and stores treated water which then flows downhill by gravity to serve users in the Potteries.
The reservoir was constructed at the same time as the Hatton Works in 1891 and had a capacity of almost 3 million gallons (13 million litres). In 1915 a pipeline was laid from the new Mill Meece station to also supply Hanchurch. Storage for an additional 6 million gallons (27 million litres) was constructed alongside in 1929.
The Photograph shows the water tower which stands next to the covered reservoir which on a clear day can be seen from Mill Meece.
Today the Pottery towns require 35 million gallons (160 million litres) of fresh water per day.