City of London Churches
Anglican Church
(Church of England)

Before the Great Fire of London in 1666 there were over a hundred church spires and towers dominating the City of London skyline. Ninety-seven of these were parish churches that fell within the walls of the city and many of these churches and parishes were extremely small. The Great Fire destroyed eighty-nine churches and although this afforded the opportunity for re planning of the City, if the City authorities and Sir Christopher Wren, who was in charge of the rebuilding, had been allowed to have their way, the restored City would have had fewer parishes. But the demands of citizens prevailed and an Act passed in 1670 laid down that fifty-one of the destroyed churches were to be rebuilt. This meant that many old parishes would vanish entirely, their parishes being united to neighbouring ones, though they would continue to be represented by churchwardens and parish clerks and often retained their own parish registers for many years after the destruction or demolition of their churches.

Of those churches rebuilt by Wren and new ones built in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, many were to be destroyed during the Second World War by enemy bombing action in 1940-1, and by terrorist bombing campaigns during the 1990's. Today a mere thirty-eight survive.

Most of the parish registers (PR) and related records, where they have survived, have been deposited at Guildhall Library (GL), although many of the later registers are still held by the present incumbent.

Burials in the City burial grounds were discontinued at various dates in the 1850's, and no parish burial registers were maintained thereafter. Most subsequent burials took place outside the City, but the City parishes do not appear to have kept any records of where their parishioners were buried. In some of the earlier burial registers, information is given of place of internment.

The remarkable Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) compiled by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) contains many entries of baptisms and marriages for the City of London. The IGI is known to be incomplete, but it has not been possible to ascertain the exact extent of its coverage. The Phillimore's Atlas and Index of Parish Registers has a date range showing the coverage of the IGI for each parish but it does not make it clear if these dates are for all the records of baptisms and marriages, only baptisms or marriages, or a small selection from one or both. It is worth repeating that the IGI is only an index, like Boyd's and Pallott's marriage indexes, and family historians and genealogists should always refer back to the original parish register to authenticate the entry.

The City of London became the centre of trade and commerce during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and the population of dwelling houses slowly declined. The population in 1801 was 900,000; in 1841 135,008; in 1851 127,869; in 1861 112,063; in 1871 74,732; in 1881 50,652; in 1891 ?

Sources:
City of London Parish Registers ~ Guildhall Library Research Guide 4 ISBN 0-900422-30-0;
Atlas & Index of Parish Registers ~ Phillimore & Co ISBN 0-85033-950-2;
Vanished Churches of the City of London - Gordon Huelin (1996)
City of London Churches - John Betjeman

ALLHALLOWS BARKING BY THE TOWER
Aka ALLHALLOWS BY THE TOWER
Situated: Great Tower Street, EC3
Damaged 1666, rebuilt 17thC, destroyed 1940, rebuilt 1948-1957
PR's: baptisms from 1558, marriages from 1564, burials from 1558, held by held by the incumbent ~ Vicar, Allhallows Porch Room, Bywood Street EC3R 5BJ
Tel: 020 7481 2928
ALLHALLOWS BREAD STREET
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1876
United to St Mary le Bow 1876
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1892, marriages 1538-1876, marriage licenses 1840-66, burials 1538-1851
For later baptisms and marriages see St Mary le Bow retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms 1538-1875 on IGI
ALLHALLOWS HONEY LANE
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt.
United to St Mary le Bow 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1697 & 1813-92, marriages 1546-1656 & 1664-6 & 1818-36, burials 1538-1666/7 & 1814-51.
For baptisms 1697/8-1812 and from 1892, marriages 1675-1812 and from 1836, banns 1754-1937, burials 1697/8-1812, see St Mary le Bow retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1875 on IGI
ALLHALLOWS LOMBARD STREET
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, sold 1938, some treasures exist in Allhallows Twickenham.
United to St Edmund King & Martyr 1937
PR's in GL: baptisms 1550-1937, marriages 1553-1937, banns 1654-62/3 & 1755-1937, burials 1549-1698/9 & 1726-1853
Later baptisms, marriages and banns entered in registers of St Edmund the King and Martyr.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1813-1846 on IGI
ALLHALLOWS LONDON WALL
Situated: London Wall, EC2
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt 1765-7 George Dance jnr
PR's in GL: baptisms 1559-1875, marriages 1559-1927, banns 1823-90, burials 1559-1849
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1559-1880 on IGI
Tel: 020 7496 1680
ALLHALLOWS STAINING
Situated: Mark Lane, Tower and Crypt Only Remaining
United with St Olave Hart Street 1870
PR's in GL: baptisms 1642-1743 & 1757-94 & 1813-70, marriages 1653-1740 & 1754-1869, banns 1754-1870, burials 1653-1728 & 1736-7 & 1757-1853
The register of baptisms 1744-57 and 1794-1812, marriages 1740/1-54, burials 1728-36 and 1737/8-57 not extant.
For later baptisms, marriages and banns see St Olave Hart Street.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1642-1870 on IGI
ALL HALLOWS THE GREAT
Situated: Upper Thames Street
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, sold and demolished 1894, Tower and Churchyard Only Remaining
United to St Michael Paternoster Royal 1893
PR's in GL: baptisms 1668-1888, marriages 1671-1890, banns 1754-1889, marriage licenses 1813-97, burials 1616-1848
For later baptisms, marriages, banns and marriage licenses see St Michael Paternoster Royal
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1668-1812 on IGI
ALL HALLOWS THE LESS
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to Allhallows the Great 1670, St Michael Paternoster Royal 1893
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1812, marriages 1558-1666, burials 1558-1812
For later registrations see Allhallows the Great.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1885 on IGI
ALL SAINTS SKINNER STREET
District chapelry constituted 1864, united to St Botolph Bishopgate 1869
PR's in GL: baptisms 1858-67, marriages 1864-69
BRIDWELL CHAPEL
Hospital and precinct church.
United to St Bride Fleet Street 1864
PR's in GL: baptisms 1695-1812, marriages 1694-1754, burials 1695-1812
The registers for baptisms 1669/70-82, marriages 1671-81 & 1754-1818, and burials 1666/7-81/2, now largely illegible following damage by enemy action in 1940.
The registers for baptisms 1813-63, marriages 1822-63 and burials 1813-45 were destroyed by enemy action in 1940.
For baptisms, marriages and banns from 1864 and marriage licenses from 1869 see St Bride Fleet Street.
Partial index to baptisms on IGI
CHRISTCHURCH NEWGATE STREET
Aka: CHRISTCHURCH GREYFRIARS
Situated: Newgate Street
Formed in 1547, in the place of the parishes of St Ewin and St Nicholas Shambles which were dissolved. The church of the former monastery of the Friars Minor, or Grey Friars, became the parish church of the new parish. Burials 1275-c.1540 are recorded in British Library manuscripts.
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1677-91, gutted in 1940, Tower restored in 1960
United to St Sepulchre Holborn 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1547-88, marriages 1547-88, burials 1547-88
The registers for baptisms 1588-1656, marriages 1588-1666 and burials 1588-1666 were probably destroyed in the Great Fire.
The registers for baptisms 1656/7-1724, marriages 1667-1837, burials from 1666 were destroyed by enemy action in 1940.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1880 on IGI
EPISCOPAL FLOATING CHURCH
Situated: Pool of London (used by inmates of Destitute Sailors' Asylum and Sailors Home, and the Sailors' Orphan Girl's School ~ London Illustrated News 1843).
PR's: None known to exist. May be within records of mentioned institutions.
FLEET PRISON, AND RULES OF THE FLEET
From c.1667 a large number of clandestine marriages were performed in the Fleet Prison chapel and in taverns, private houses and other buildings nearby. Details of source material for these 'Fleet marriages' are listed in the GL handlist.
See also Old Red Hand and Mitre chapel
GUILDHALL CHAPEL (non-parochial)
Demolished 1822
PR's: none known to exist
HOLY SEPULCRE WITHOUT NEWGATE
See ST SEPULCRE HOLBORN
HOLY TRINITY GOUGH SQUARE
District chapelry constituted 1842
Built 1842 by J. Shaw, sold 1906
United to St Bride Fleet Street 1906
PR's in GL: baptisms 1842-1906, marriages 1869-1906, banns 1879-1906, no burial registers.
For later registers see St Bride Fleet Street.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages on IGI
HOLY TRINITY MINORIES
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt 1706, bombed 1940 (sold)
United to St Botolph Aldgate 1893
PR's in GL: baptisms 1563-1897, marriages 1579-1898, banns 1754-1898, burials 1566-1852
For later baptisms and marriages registers see St Botolph Aldgate.
Partial index to baptisms 1563-1875 on IGI
HOLY TRINITY THE LESS
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Michael Queenhithe 1670, St James Garlickhithe 1875
PR's in GL: baptisms 1547-1836, marriages 1547-1830, burials 1547-1852
For later baptisms, marriages and banns see St Michael Queenhithe.
Partial index to baptisms 1547-1836 on IGI
LAMB'S CHAPEL, MONKWELL STREET (non-parochial)
Aka: ST JAMES IN THE WALL
Demolished 1872
PR's in GL: baptisms 1620-27, marriages 1618-26, 1640, 1688, 1696-8 & 1709-53, no burials
MERCER'S HALL CHAPEL (non-parochial)
PR's in GL: no baptisms, marriages 1592 & 1683/4-84, burials 1563-1666 & 1671-1715; in PR's of St Mary Colechurch
Registers of marriages 1641-1754 and burials 1640-1833 held by the PRO.
Partial index to marriages on IGI
OLD RED HAND AND MITRE CHAPEL (non-parochial)
This 'chapel' was one of the places in the vicinity of the Fleet Prison where clandestine marriages were performed. The registers of this chapel, containing baptisms 1751-3 and marriages 1750-4, are at the PRO (RG7/256).
ROYAL CHAPEL OF ST JOHN
Built c.1080
Situated: within the White Tower of the Tower of London
PR's: held by the incumbent, write to ~ The Chaplain, The Green, HM Tower of London, EC3N 4AB
ST ALBAN WOOD STREET
Situated: Wood Street
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1682-7, Church destroyed 1940, Tower Only Remaining, many records missing presumed destroyed WWII
United to St Vedast Foster Lane 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1662-1786, marriages 1662-1811, burials 1662-1786
Registers to 1662 not extant (presumed destroyed by enemy action in 1940).
Registers for baptisms from 1786, marriages 1811-1902, and burials 1786-1849, destroyed by enemy action in 1940.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1662-1852 on IGI
ST ALPHAGE LONDON WALL
Situated: London Wall
Damaged 1666, Rebuilt 1777, Demolished 1924, Tower Only Remaining
United to St Giles Cripplegate 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1613-1920, marriages 1613-1916, banns 1754-1880, 1882, 1885 & 1911, burials 1613-78 & 1732-1851
Registers for burials 1678-99 not extant.
For later registers see St Mary Aldermary which served as the parish church of the parish of St Alphage London Wall from 1917-1953.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1754-1885 on IGI
ST ANDREW BY THE WARDROBE
Situated: Queen Victoria Street, EC4
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1685-95, damaged WWII
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1939, marriages 1558-1940, banns 1824-45, marriage licenses 1712-1889, burials 1558-1850
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1885 on IGI
Tel: 020 7329 3632
ST ANDREW HOLBORN
Situated: Holborn Circus, EC4
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1687, damaged 1941 by enemy action, rebuilt 1960
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1889, marriages 1559-1698 & 1714-1952, banns 1653-8, 1754-8, 1862-93, 1900-53, burials 1558-1855.
The marriage register 1698-1714 not extant.
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms 1558-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7353 3544
ST ANDREW HUBBARD
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt.
United to St Mary at Hill 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-99,1600/1,1706-1812, marriages 1538-1599,1754-1837, burials 1538-1599,1706-1846
No registers for baptisms 1600-1706, marriages 1600-1754, burials 1600-1706 appears to survive, although it is possible that marriages 1672-1754 are among those entered in the registers of St Mary at Hill where the parish of origin of the parties is not stated.
For banns 1824-1921 see St Mary at Hill.
Later baptisms and marriage registers have not been deposited.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1837 on IGI
ST ANDREW UNDERSHAFT
Situated: Leadenhall Street, EC3
Damaged by terrorist bomb 1992
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1901, marriages 1558-1837, banns 1754-1851, marriage licenses 1836-58, burials 1558-1849.
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms 1558-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7283 2231
ST ANN BLACKFRIARS
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt, two portions of churchyard remain.
United to St Andrew by the Wardrobe 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1560-1861, marriages 1562-1726,1813-40, banns 1716/7-24, burials 1566-1849
Later baptisms registers retained by incumbent.
For later mar, and for banns 1822-45 and marriage licenses 1712-1889, see St Andrew by the Wardrobe.
Partial index to baptisms 1560-1861 on IGI
ST ANNE AND ST AGNES (Lutheran)
Situated: Gresham Street, EC2
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1676-87, damaged WWII, rebuilt 1966
United to St Vedast Foster Lane 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1640-1924, marriages 1641/2-1938, banns 1774-1920, marriage licenses 1831-1937, burials 1640-1853
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1640-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7606 4986
ST ANTHOLIN BUDGE ROW
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, sold 1874, demolished 1875.
United to St Mary Aldermary 1873
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1872, marriages 1538-1873, banns 1754-1952, burials 1538-1853
For later baptisms, marriages, banns and marriage licenses from 1874 see St Mary Aldermary.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1872 on IGI
ST AUDOEN ALIAS ST EWIN
Surviving records are held by St Bartholomew's Hospital.
ST AUGUSTINE WATLING STREET
Aka: ST AUGUSTINE WITH ST FAITH
Situated: Watling Street
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1680-87, was destroyed again in 1941, Tower Only Remaining
United to St Mary le Bow 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1559-1925, marriages 1559-1940, banns 1754-1940, burials 1559-1853
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1559-1875 on IGI
ST BARTHOLOMEW BY THE EXCHANGE
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1891 or 1902.
United to St Margaret Lothbury 1839
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1711/2, 1723/4-1840, marriages 1558/9-1706, 1723/4-1840, banns 1754-1840, burials 1558-1678, 1706-11, 1723/4-1838
The registers for baptisms 1712-23, marriages 1706-23, burials 1678-1706, 1712-23 not extant.
For later registers see St Margaret Lothbury.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1840 on IGI
ST BARTHOLOMEW MOOR LANE
Constituted 1850
United to St Giles Cripplegate 1900
PR's in GL: baptisms 1850-1901, marriages 1850-99, banns 1882-99
For later registers see St Giles Cripplegate.
Partial index to baptisms on IGI
ST BARTHOLOMEW THE GREAT
Situated: Smithfield, Little Britain, EC1
First established as priory in 1123
PR's in GL: baptisms 1616-1926, marriages 1616-1934, banns 1754-1969, burials 1616-1853
Later baptisms and marriages register held by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1616-1885 on IGI
Tel: 020 7606 5171
ST BARTHOLOMEW THE LESS
Situated: Smithfield, Little Britain, EC1
The main archive (from 1547) is held by the Archivist, St Bartholomew's Hospital.
Tel: 020 7601 8066
ST BENET FINK
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1844
United to St Peter le Poer 1842, St Michael Cornhill 1906
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1845, marriages 1538-1719, 1754-1845, banns 1653-62, 1699-1715, 1754-1845, marriage licenses 1796-1845, burials 1538-1845.
For later baptisms and marriage registers see St Peter le Poer.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1880 on IGI
ST BENET GRACECHURCH
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1867
United to Allhallows Lombard Street 1864, St Edmund the King and Martyr 1937
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1866, marriages 1558-1865, banns 1754-99, 1824-65, burials 1558-1853
For later baptisms, marriages and banns registers see Allhallows Lombard Street.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1730-1866 on IGI
ST BENET PAUL'S WHARF
Aka: ST BENET'S WELSH CHURCH
Situated: Queen Victoria Street, EC4
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1677-85
United to St Nicholas Cole Abbey 1879
The church has been used by a Welsh congregation since 1879
PR's in GL: baptisms 1619-1877, Welsh congregation baptisms 1880-1931, marriages 1619-1879, banns 1754-91, burials 1619-1853
Later registers of Welsh congregation held by the incumbent. For baptisms and marriages of St Benet's parish from 1879 see St Nicholas Cole Abbey.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1619-1879 on IGI
Tel: 020 7723 3104
ST BENET SHEREHOG
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Stephen Walbrook 1670
PR's in GL: only a few Bishop's Transcripts survive 1629-40
For registers from c.1670 see St Stephen Walbrook.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1557-1880 on IGI
ST BOTOLPH ALDERSGATE
Aka: ST BOTOLPH WITHOUT ALDERSGATE
Situated: Aldersgate Street, EC1
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt 1788 by Nathaniel Wright
PR's in GL: baptisms 1638-1984, marriages 1640-1953, banns 1653-64, 1779-1935, marriage licenses 1834-1918, burials 1640-1853
Partial index to baptisms 1640-1872 on IGI
Tel: 020 7606 0684
ST BOTOLPH ALDGATE
Aka: ST BOTOLPH WITHOUT ALDGATE
Situated: Aldgate High Street, EC3
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt 1741 George Dance the elder.
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1927, marriages 1558-1695, 1711-1945, banns 1653-8, 1754-1846, burials 1558-1695, 1711-1853
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages on IGI Partial index to baptisms 1558-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7283 1670
ST BOTOLPH BILLINGSGATE
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United with St George Botolph Lane 1670, St Mary at Hill 1901
PR's in GL: baptisms 1685-1891, marriages 1685/6-1835 burials 1685/6-1845
Later baptisms entered in registers of St Mary at Hill (retained by incumbent).
Later marriages and banns from 1754 and marriage licenses from 1818 entered in registers of St George Botolph Lane.
Partial index to baptisms 1686-1875 on IGI
ST BOTOLPH BISHOPSGATE
Aka: ST BOTOLPH WITHOUT BISHOPSGATE
Situated: Bishopsgate, EC2
Damaged 1666, rebuilt 1725 James Gold
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1898, marriages 1558-1958, banns 1653-60, 1833-1950, marriage licenses 1848-1873 burials 1558-1849
Later baptisms and marriages registers held by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1862 on IGI
Tel: 020 7588 3388
ST BRIDE FLEET STREET
Situated: Fleet Street, EC4
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1670-84, gutted WWII, rebuilt post WWII
PR's in GL: baptisms 1587-1672, 1673-1939, 1952, marriages 1587-1666, 1675-1969, banns 1735-1825, 1850-1908, marriage licenses 1869-72, 1883-1907, burials 1587-1672, 1673-1854.
Registers for baptisms for part of 1672-73, marriages 1666-75, burials for part of 1672-1673, no registers are known to exist.
For baptisms 1842-1906, marriages 1869-1906, and banns 1879-1906 see also Holy Trinity Gough Square.
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1587-1880 on IGI
Tel: 020 7427 0133
ST CHRISTOPHER LE STOCKS
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1781
United to St Margaret Lothbury 1781
PR's in GL: baptisms 1557-1781, marriages 1557-1780, banns 1755-80, burials 1557-1781
For later registrations see St Margaret Lothbury.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1557-1781 on IGI
ST CLEMENT EASTCHEAP
Situated: King William Street / Clement's Lane, EC4
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1683-7
PR's in GL: baptisms 1539-1940, marriages 1539-1839, banns 1787-1830, burials 1539-1853
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1539-1877 on IGI
Tel: 020 7283 2711
ST DIONIS BACKCHURCH
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1878
United to Allhallows Lombard Street 1876, St Edmund the King and Martyr 1937
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1666, 16668-1877, marriages 1538-1666, 1674-1877, banns 1754-1877, burials 1538-1849
For later baptisms, marriages and banns see Allhallows Lombard Street
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1877 on IGI
ST DUNSTAN IN THE EAST
Situated: Great Tower Street
Rebuilt 1817-21, gutted in 1941, Tower Only Remaining
United to Allhallows Barking by the Tower 1960
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1816, marriages 1558-1939, banns 1754-89, 1821-51, burials 1558-1853
The baptisms registers 1816-1938 damaged beyond repair by enemy action in 1941.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1880 on IGI
ST DUNSTAN IN THE WEST (Anglican/Orthodox)
Situated: Fleet Street, EC4
Rebuilt John Shaw and John Shaw jnr 1831-3
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1857, marriages 1559-1970, banns 1653-59, 1754-7, 1811-41, 1891-1959, marriage licenses 1731-1884, burials 1558-1856
For baptisms 1842-86 and marriages 1845-85, see also St Thomas in the Liberty of the Rolls
Later baptisms registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1800-1840 on IGI
Tel: 020 7405 1929
ST EDMUND THE KING AND MARTYR
Situated: Lombard Street, EC3
Built by Wren 1670-9
PR's in GL: baptisms 1670-1980, marriages 1673-1837, banns 1811-79, 1881-1980, burials 1670-1850
Later marriages register retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1670-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7626 9701
ST ETHELBURGA BISHOPSGATE
Situated: Bishopsgate
Founded in 1250 and rebuilt in 1390, it was destroyed by terrorist bomb in 1993
PR's in GL: baptisms 1671-1873, marriages 1679-1932, banns 1809-23, 1865-1936, burials 1672-1849
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1671-1873 on IGI
ST EWIN ALIAS ST AUDOEN
Amalgamated with St Nicholas Shambles to form Christchurch Newgate Street 1547
No registers extant, see Christchurch Newgate Street.
ST FAITH UNDER ST PAUL
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Augustine Watling Street 1670, St Mary le Bow 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1645-1900, marriages 1690-1837, burials 1645-1853
For later baptisms from 1909, marriages from 1837, banns from 1754, see St Augustine Watling Street.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1645-1875 on IGI
ST GABRIEL FENCHURCH
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Margaret Pattens 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1571-1901, marriages 1572-1837, burials 1571-1851
For baptisms c.1901-52, marriages c.1683/4-1812 and 1837-1952, banns 1754-1881, see St Margaret Pattens.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1571-1872 on IGI
ST GEORGE BOTOLPH LANE
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1901-4
United to St Mary at Hill 1901
PR's in GL: baptisms 1547-1891, marriages 1547-1890, banns 1580-95, 1754-1842, marriage licenses 1818-88, burials 1546-1848
Later baptisms and marriages entered in registers of St Mary at Hill and retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1754-1885 on IGI
ST GILES CRIPPLEGATE
Situated: Fore Street, Barbican, EC2
Damaged WWII, rebuilt 1953-63
PR's in GL: baptisms 1561-1961, marriages 1561-1953, 1963-1987, banns 1782-6, 1791-1832, 1838-1940, burials 1561-1853
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1561-1885 on IGI
Tel: 020 7638 1997
ST GREGORY BY ST PAUL
Rebuilt 1641-50, Destroyed 1666?,
United to St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street 1670, St Martin Ludgate 1890
PR's in GL: baptisms 1559-1882, marriages 1559-1640, 1650/1-1867, banns 1653-62, 1754-78, burials 1559-1853
For later baptisms, marriages and banns, and for marriage licenses 1687-1834, see St Mary Magdalen Old Fish Street
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1559-1821 on IGI
ST HELEN BISHOPSGATE
Situated: Great St. Helens, Bishopsgate, EC3
Pre-Great Fire, badly damaged by terrorist bomb in 1992
PR's in GL: baptisms 1575-1981, marriages 1575-1870, banns 1653-9, 1754-77, 1795-1877, burials 1575-1853
Later marriage register retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1575-1874 on IGI
Tel: 020 7283 2231
ST JAMES DUKE'S PLACE
Rebuilt post-Wren, demolished 1874
United to St Katherine Cree 1873
PR's in GL: baptisms 1747-1872, marriages 1664-8, 1678/9-1868, banns 1772-1817, 1824-54, marriage licenses 1783-1866, burials 1747-53.
For later baptisms, marriages, banns and marriage licenses see St Katherine Cree.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1664-1872 on IGI
ST JAMES GARLICKHITHE
Situated: Upper Thames Street / Garlick Hill, EC4
Built by Wren 1676-82
PR's in GL: baptisms 1535-1692/3, 1708-1971, marriages 1535-1692/3, 1708-1970, banns 1754-1816, 1823-52, 1950, marriage licenses 1859-70, burials 1535-1692/3, 1708-1853
Registers for baptisms, marriages and burials 1693-1708 not extant.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1535-1868 on IGI
Tel: 020 7236 1719
ST JAMES IN THE WALL - See LAMB'S CHAPEL
ST JOHN THE BAPTIST WALBROOK
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt, small portion of churchyard remains.
United to St Antholin Budge Row 1670, St Mary Aldermary 1873
PR's in GL: baptisms 1682, 1686-1812, burials 1686-1812
For later baptisms and burials and marriages from c.1670 see St Anthlin Budge Row.
Partial index to baptisms 1682-1812 on IGI
ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST FRIDAY STREET
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to Allhallows Bread Street 1670, St Mary le Bow 1876
PR's in GL: baptisms 1653-1821, marriages 1653-66, burials 1653-1822
For later registers see Allhallows Bread Street.
Partial index to baptisms 1653-1821 on IGI
ST JOHN ZACHARY
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Anne and St Agnes 1670, St Vedast Foster lane 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1693-1895, marriages 1755-1837, burials 1693-1849
For later registers baptisms from 1896, marriages from 1837, banns from 1774, and marriage licenses from 1831, see St Anne and St Agnes.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1640-1875 on IGI
ST KATHERINE COLEMAN
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt 1738-41, demolished 1926
United to St Olave Hart Street 1921
PR's in GL: baptisms 1559-1914, marriages 1563-1738, 1741-1920, banns 1754-1916, marriage licenses 1760-1872, burials 1559-1741 1813-53.
No burials registers 1742-1812 extant.
For later baptisms, marriages and banns see St Olave Hart Street.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1710-1876 on IGI
ST KATHERINE CREE
Situated: Leadenhall Street, EC3
Pre-Great Fire
PR's in GL: baptisms 1663-1947, marriages 1663-1933, banns 1824-35, 1874-1950, marriage licenses 1780-1805, 1876-99, burials 1663-1853.
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1663-1885 on IGI
Tel: 020 7283 5733
ST LAWRENCE JEWRY
Situated: Gresham Street, EC2
Built by Wren 1670-87
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1812, 1941-53, marriages 1538-1928, 1938-51, banns 1754-1933, burials 1538-1853
The registers for baptisms 1813-1940 and marriages 1928-38 destroyed by enemy action in 1940.
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1880 on IGI
Tel: 020 7600 9478
ST LAWRENCE POUNTNEY
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt, church ground and churchyard remain.
United to St Mary Abchurch 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1812, marriages 1538-1837, banns 1654-9, 1757-62, burials 1538-1812
Later registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1812 on IGI
ST LEONARD EASTCHEAP
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Benet Gracechurch 1670, Allhallows Lombard Street 1864, St Edmund the King and Martyr 1937
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1812, marriages 1538-1705, burials 1538-1812
For later registers see St Benet Gracechurch.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1866 on IGI
ST LEONARD FOSTER LANE
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to Christchurch Newgate Street 1670, St Sepulchre Holborn 1954
PR's in GL: none, only a few Bishop's Transcripts 1639-40
For baptisms, marriages and burials from c.1670 see Christchurch Newgate Street.
ST MAGNUS THE MARTYR
Situated: Lower Thames Street, EC3
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1671-87
PR's in GL: baptisms 1560-1978, marriages 1560-1837, banns 1754-7, 1793-1952, marriage licenses 1827-1900, burials 1560-1853.
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1669-1850 on IGI
Tel: 020 7626 4481
ST MARGARET LOTHBURY
Situated: Lothbury, EC2
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1686-1700
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1924, marriages 1558-1837, banns 1774-1899, 1945, burials 1558-1853
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7606 8330
ST MARGARET MOSES
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Mildred Bread Street 1670, St Mary le Bow 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1559-1812, marriages 1558-1836, banns 1754-74, burials 1558-1850
Registers of baptisms 1814-1938 and marriages 1837-1939 destroyed by enemy action 1941.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1842 on IGI
ST MARGARET NEW FISH STREET
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Magnus the Martyr 1670
PR's in GL: none, some churchwardens accounts and Bishop's Transcripts.
For registers from c.1670 see St Magnus the Martyr.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1669-1768 on IGI
ST MARGARET PATTENS
Situated: Eastcheap, EC3
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1684
PR's in GL: baptisms 1559-1952, marriages 1559-1952, banns 1653-7, 1754-1881, burials 1558-1853
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1559-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7623 6630
ST MARTIN LUDGATE
Situated: Ludgate Hill, EC4
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1677-87
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1929, marriages 1538-1953, banns 1754-1958, burials 1538-1848
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms 1539-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7248 6054
ST MARTIN ORGAR
Situated: Cannon Street
Damaged 1666 and demolished in 1820, Tower only rebuilt 1851
United to St Clement Eastcheap 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1625-1812, marriages 1625-87, burials 1624-1812
For later registers see St Clement Eastcheap.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1539-1877 on IGI
ST MARTIN OUTWICH
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt 1796, sold 1874
United to St Helen Bishopgate 1873
PR's in GL: baptisms 1670-1873, marriages 1670-1872, banns 1824-72, marriage licenses 1716, 1817-50, burials 1670-1852
Later baptisms and marriages entered in registers of St Helen Bishopsgate and retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1670-1873 on IGI
ST MARTIN POMEROY
Aka: ST MARTIN IREMONGER
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Olave Jewry 1670, St Margaret Lothbury 1886
PR's in GL: baptisms 1539-1885, marriages 1539-1647, burials 1539-1847
For baptisms from c.1886 see St Margaret Lothbury, for marriages from c.1670 and banns from 1771 see St Olave Jewry.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1539-1874 on IGI
ST MARTIN VINTRY
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Michael Paternoster Royal 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1664-1906, marriages 1675-1836, burials 1668-1849
Registers to 1664 presumed lost in Great Fire.
For marriages from 1837 and banns from 1754, and for marriage licenses from 1809, see St Michael Paternoster Royal.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages on IGI
ST MARY ABCHURCH
Situated: Cannon Street / Abchurch Lane, EC4
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1681-87
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1812, marriages 1558-1837, banns 1757-62, 1804-1911, burials 1558-1851
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Some marriages, banns, baptisms and burials with St Lawrence Pountney.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1837 on IGI
Tel: 020 7626 0306
ST MARY ALDERMANBURY
Aka: ST MARY THE VIRGIN ALDERMANBURY
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, destroyed 1940, site sold, stones sent to USA
United to St Alphage London Wall 1917, St Giles Cripplegate 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1940, marriages 1538-1940, banns 1754-1940, marriage licenses 1837-1928, burials 1538-1859
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1880 on IGI
ST MARY ALDERMARY
Situated: Queen Victoria Street / Bow Lane, EC4
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1682, tower 1701
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1910, marriages 1558-1940, banns 1771-1952, marriage licenses 1860-1909, burials 1558-1851
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7248 4806
ST MARY-AT-HILL
Situated: Eastcheap Hill, EC3
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1670-6, tower 1780, interior 1843
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1865, marriages 1558-1784, banns 1754-1813, 1824-1921, burials 1558-1850
Some banns, marriages, baptisms and burials with St Andrew Hubbard from 1742
Later baptisms and marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1837 on IGI
Tel: 020 7626 4184
ST MARY AXE
No registers for this parish are known. The parish was united with St Andrew Undershaft in 1560/1 and it would appear that early registrations are included in the registers of St Andrew Undershaft.
ST MARY BOTHAW
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Swithin London Stone 1670, St Stephen Walbrook 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1536-1653/4, marriages 1536-1657/8 & 1754-1812, banns 1754-64, burials 1536/7-1653
For baptisms 1675-1944, marriages 1672-1754 and 1813-1941, banns 1778-1852, burials c.1670-1853, see St Swithin London Stone.
Partial index to baptisms 1536-1653 on IGI
ST MARY COLECHURCH
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Mildred Poultry 1670, St Olave Jewry 1871, St Margaret Lothbury 1886
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1812, marriages 158-1665/6, burials 1558-1666 & 1671-1812
Includes marriages 1592 & 1683/4-84 and burials 1563-1666 & 1671-1715 at Mercer's Hall Chapel
For later registers see St Mildred Poultry
Partial index to baptisms 1558-1870 on IGI
ST MARY-LE-BOW
Aka: BOW CHURCH
Situated: Cheapside, EC2
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1670-83, gutted 1941, rebuilt post-WWII
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1631 & 1653-to date, marriages 1538-1631 & 1675-1837, banns 1754-1937, burials 1538-1631 & 1653-1852
No baptisms 1631-53, marriages 1631-75, burials 1631-53 extant.
Some baptisms, marriages and burials with Allhallows Honey Lane, St Pancras Soper Lane, Allhallows Bread Street, St John the Evangelist Friday Street
Later marriage registers retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1837 on IGI
Tel: 020 7248 5139
ST MARY MAGDALEN MILK STREET
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Lawrence Jewry 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1677, marriages 1559-1666, burials 1558-1665
For later registers see St Lawrence Jewry
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1880 on IGI
ST MARY MAGDALEN OLD FISH STREET
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1887
United to St Martin Ludgate 1890
PR's in GL: baptisms 1539-1645 1664/5-1892, marriages 1539-1638/9 & 1664/5-1886, banns 1755-70, 1790-1958, burials 1539-1643 & 1664/5-1853
No registers for baptisms 1645-64, marriages 1639-64, burials 1643-64 extant.
For later baptisms and marriage registers see St Martin Ludgate
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1877 on IGI
ST MARY MOUNTHAW
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Mary Somerset 1670, St Nicholas Cole Abbey 1866
PR's in GL: baptisms 1568-1887, marriages 1568-1666 & 1754-1809 & 1814-49, burials 1568-1849
For baptisms after 1887 see St Nicholas Cole Abbey
For marriages c.1671-1754 & after 1849 see St Mary Somerset
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1568-1875 on IGI
ST MARY SOMERSET
Situated: Upper Thames Street
Damaged 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1695 was demolished in 1872 with tower only remaining
United to St Nicholas Cole Abbey 1866
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558/9-1880, marriages 1558/9-1837, banns 1754-8, burials 1557/8-1853
Marriages from c.1671-1711, 1837-78 with St Mary Mounthaw
For later baptisms and marriages see St Nicholas Cole abbey
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1878 on IGI
ST MARY STAINING
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt, a garden with some tombstones remain in Oat Lane.
United to St Michael Wood Street 1670, St Alban Wood Street 1894, St Vedast Foster Lane 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1673-1812
For marriages from 1754 see St Michael Wood Street
All other registers of this parish were destroyed by enemy action in 1940. There are some transcripts available, see GL handlist.
Partial index to baptisms 1673-1812 on IGI
ST MARY WOOLCHURCH HAW
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Mary Woolnoth 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1693/4 & 1814-89, marriages 1559-1666 & 1814-37, banns 1824-65, burials 1558-1665/6 & 1813-48
For baptisms 1693/4-1814 & post-1889, marriages c.1670-1812 & post-1837, banns 1754-1823 & post-1865, burials c.1670-1812 see St Mary Woolnoth.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1885 on IGI
ST MARY WOOLNOTH
Situated: Lombard Street, EC3
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Hawksmoor 1716-26, no marriages solemnised
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1985, marriages 1538-1732 & 1745-1953, banns 1754-67 & 1782-1951, burials 1538-1722 & 1744-1852
Some baptisms, marriages and burials with St Mary Woolchurch Haw from c.1670
No registers extant for marriages 1732-44, burials 1722-44. List available at GL of coffins dated 1726-44 removed from the church in 1892-3 and re-interred at the City of London cemetery, Little Ilford.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1885 on IGI
Tel: 020 7626 9701
ST MATTHEW FRIDAY STREET
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, sold 1881, demolished 1885.
United to St Vedast Foster Lane 1882
PR's in GL: marriages 1814-36, burials 1813-46
Registers for baptisms, marriages and burials 1538-1812 (marriages with St Peter Westcheap from c.1699) destroyed by enemy action in 1940. Also baptisms 1813-82 incomplete due to same action.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1875 on IGI
ST MICHAEL BASSISHAW
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, sold 1899, demolished 1900.
United to St Lawrence Jewry 1897
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1892, marriages 1538-1890, banns 1755-1892, burials 1538-1853
For later baptisms, marriages and banns these were entered in the registers of St Lawrence Jewry which were destroyed or damaged beyond repair by enemy action in 1940.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1880 on IGI
ST MICHAEL CORNHILL
Situated: Cornhill, EC3
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1669-72, tower added by Hawksmoor 1781-24
PR's in GL: baptisms 1546-1986, marriages 1546-1836, banns 1653-59/60 & 1754-87 & 1853-1931, burials 1546-1853
Baptisms from 1906 with St Peter le Poer and St Benet Fink
Later marriages register held by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1545-1836 on IGI
Tel: 020 7626 8841
ST MICHAEL CROOKED LANE
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, sold 1831, demolished.
United to St Magnus the Martyr 1831
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538/9-1890, marriages 1539-1835, banns 1754-1949, burials 1538-1852
Later baptisms and marriages entered in registers of St Magnus the Martyr and held by incumbent.
Banns 1824-1949 with St Magnus the Martyr and St Margaret New Fish Street from 1840
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1749-1875 on IGI
ST MICHAEL LE QUERNE
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Vedast Foster Lane
PR's in GL: baptisms 1813-84, marriages 1813-36, burials 1813-49
For later baptisms and for marriages 1754-1813 see St Vedast Foster Lane.
Registers of baptisms 1685/6-1812, marriages 1686-1705, burials 1685/6-1812 damaged beyond repair by enemy action in 1940.
There are no marriage registers later than 1836 surviving for this parish.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1837-1877 on IGI
ST MICHAEL PATERNOSTER ROYAL
Situated: College Street / College Street, EC4
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1686-94
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1812, marriages 1558-1666 & 1701-1954, banns 1754-1950, burials 1558-1850
For marriages 1675-1701 see St Martin Vintry
Later baptisms register held by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1885 on IGI
Tel: 020 7248 5202
ST MICHAEL QUEENHITHE
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1875
United to St James Garlickhithe 1875
PR's in GL: baptisms 1653-1876, marriages 1653-1875, banns 1754-1812 & 1823-75, burials 1653-1852
Later baptisms and marriages in registers of St James Garlickhithe.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1651-1875 on IGI
ST MICHAEL WOOD STREET
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, demolished 1897.
United to St Alban Wood Street 1894, St Vedast Foster Lane 1954.
PR's in GL: baptisms 1559-1662/3, marriages 1559-1661 & 1754-1812, banns 1754-1815, burials 1559-1659/60 & 1678-1812.
Later baptisms and burials register and marriages 1813-95 register destroyed by enemy action in 1940.
For marriages from 1903 see St Alban Wood Street.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1559-1811 on IGI
ST MILDRED BREAD STREET
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, destroyed 1940, site sold.
United to St Mary le Bow 1954
PR's in GL: marriages 1754-1837, banns 1754-74, burials 1813-53
The baptisms register 1658/9-1941, marriage registers 1670/1-1754 & 1837-1941, and burials register 1670-1812 were destroyed by enemy action in 1941.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1658-1837 on IGI
ST MILDRED POULTRY
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, sold 1872, soon demolished.
United to St Olave Jewry 1871, St Margaret Lothbury 1886
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1870, marriages 1538-1871, banns 1756-65 & 1792-1870, burials 1538-1852
For later baptisms, marriages and banns see St Olave Jewry.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1870 on IGI
ST NICHOLAS ACONS
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Edmund the King and Martyr 1670.
PR's in GL: baptisms 1539/40-1875, marriages 1539-1664 & 1837-49, burials 1540-1848
For marriages 1673-1812 see St Edmund the King and Martyr. Later baptisms and marriages and banns from 1811 entered in registers of St Edmund the King and Martyr.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1539-1875 on IGI
ST NICHOLAS COLE ABBEY
Situated: Queen Victoria Street
Pre-Great Fire, rebuilt by Wren 1671-81
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538/9-1975, marriages 1584-1946, banns 1754-1889, burials 1538-1851
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1885 on IGI
ST NICHOLAS OLAVE
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Nicholas Cole Abbey 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1704-1908, marriages 1705-1836, burials 1704-1852
For baptisms, mar, and burials c.1670-1704 see St Nicholas Cole Abbey. For later baptisms and marriages, and for banns 1754-1889, see St Nicholas Cole Abbey.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1704-1875 on IGI
ST NICHOLAS SHAMBLES
Amalgamated with St Ewin to form Christchurch Newgate Street in 1547.
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-47, marriages 1538-47, burials 1538-47
Other records, including baptisms 1452-1546, are held by the Archivist, St Bartholomew's Hospital.
ST OLAVE HART STREET
Situated: Fenchurch Street / Hart Street, EC3
Survived the Great Fire but badly damaged 1941 and restored post WWII
PR's in GL: baptisms 1706-1978, marriages 1704-1961, banns 1754-1815 & 1823-6 & 1840-1936, burials 1801-1853.
The registers for baptisms 1563-1706, marriages 1563-1704, burials 1563-1801 are retained by the incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1563-1878 on IGI
Tel: 020 7488 4318
ST OLAVE JEWRY
Situated: Poultry
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1670-6, was demolished in 1888-1891 except for tower which are now offices.
United to St Margaret Lothbury 1886
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538/9-1884, marriages 1538/9-1886, banns 1771-1803 & 1824-86, burials 1538-1849
For later baptisms, marriages and banns see St Margaret Lothbury which have been retained by the incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1885 on IGI
ST OLAVE SILVER STREET
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Alban Wood Street 1670, St Vedast Foster Lane 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1562-1770, marriages 1562-1680, burials 1561-1770
The registers for baptisms 1770-1812 and burials 1770-1812 were damaged beyond repair by enemy action in 1940.
For later registers of marriages and burials see St Alban Wood Street.
Partial index to baptisms 1616-1736 on IGI
ST PANCRAS SOPER LANE
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St MAry le Bow 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1697/8 & 1813-89, marriages 1538-1674 & 1818-36, burials 1538-1697 & 1813-1849
For baptisms 1697/8-1812 & post-1889, marriages 1675-1812 & post-1836 , banns 1754-1937, burials 1697/8-1812 see St Mary le Bow registers which have been retained by the incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1875 on IGI
ST PAUL'S CATHEDRAL (non-parochial)
PR's at GL: marriages 1697-1740, burials 1706, 1734/5, 1760-1812
Some registrations of burials at St Paul's Cathedral are in the registers of St Gregory by St Paul 1559-1626/7.
Other registers for baptisms 1708-13 and post-1875, marriages from 1740, burials from 1814, are held by the Registrar, St Paul's Chapter House, London EC4.
ST PETER AD VINCULA
Aka: St Peter in Chains
Built in 12th Century, re-built in the 16th
Situated: within the Inner Wall of the Tower of London
PR's: held by the incumbent, write to ~ The Chaplain, The Green, HM Tower of London, EC3N 4AB
ST PETER CORNHILL
Situated: Cornhill, EC3
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1667-87
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1951, marriages 1538/9-1985, banns 1754-1977, burials 1538/9-1853
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7283 2231
ST PETER LE POER
Rebuilt 1792, sold 1907, soon demolished.
United to St Michael Cornhill 1906
PR's in GL: baptisms 1561-1905, marriage 1561-1904, banns 1653-5 & 1755-1817, burials 1561-1853
Later baptisms and marriages entered in registers of St Michael Cornhill which are retained by the incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1561-1875 on IGI
ST PETER PAUL'S WHARF
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt.
United to St Benet Paul's Wharf 1670, St Nicholas Cole Abbey 1879
PR's in GL: baptisms 1607-1886, marriages 1607-49 & 1653-60, burials 1607-1848
For marriages c.1680-1879 see St Benet Paul's Wharf.
For later baptisms and marriages see St Nicholas Cole Abbey.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1607-1837 on IGI
ST PETER WESTCHEAP
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt, part of churchyard remains.
United to St Matthew Friday Street 1670, St Vedast Foster Lane 1882
PR's in GL: baptisms 1813-76, marriages 1814-36,
The registers for baptisms, mar, burials 1538-98 and burials 1813-46, are now incomplete and partly illegible following damage by enemy action in 1940.
The registers for baptisms and burials c.1599-1812, marriages 1598/9-1698/9, marriages c.1699-1812 which were entered in registers of St Matthew Friday Street, were destroyed by enemy action in 1940.
For baptisms from 1882 see St Vedast Foster Lane.
For marriages from 1837 see St Matthew Friday Street.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1868 on IGI
ST SEPULCHRE HOLBORN
Aka: HOLY SEPULCRE WITHOUT NEWGATE
Situated: Holborn Viaduct, EC1
PR's in GL: baptisms 1662-1886, marriages 1662-1901, burials 1662-1857
Later baptisms and marriage registers held by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms 1662-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7248 3826
ST STEPHEN COLEMAN STREET
PR's in GL: baptisms 1538-1951, marriages 1538-1952, banns 1754-1847, burials 1538-1853
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, damaged 1940, site sold.
United to St Margaret Lothbury 1954
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1538-1875 on IGI
ST STEPHEN WALBROOK
Situated: Walbrook, EC4
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1672-7
PR's in GL: baptisms 1557-1954, marriages 1557-1940, banns 1754-1954, burials 1557-1860
Later baptisms and marriage registers held by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1557-1880 on IGI
Tel: 7283 4444
ST SWITHIN LONDON STONE
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren, damaged 1940, site sold c.1960
United to St Stephen Walbrook 1954
PR's in GL: baptisms 1615-1944, marriages 1619-1941, banns 1754-60 & 1778-1852, burials 1614-1853
Partial index to baptisms 1615-1875 on IGI
ST THOMAS APOSTLE
Destroyed 1666 and not rebuilt
United to St Mary Aldermary 1670
PR's in GL: baptisms 1558-1679/80 & 1704-1873, marriages 1558-1869, banns 1770-1873, burials 1558-1679/80 & 1704-1849
No registers for baptisms and burials extant for 1680-1704, but possibly registrations for St Thomas Apostle are among those entered in the register of St Mary Aldermary where parish of origin of the person baptised and buried is not stated.
For later baptisms, marriages and banns and for marriage licenses from 1860, see St Mary Aldermary.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1873 on IGI
ST THOMAS IN THE LIBERTY OF THE ROLLS
District Chapelry constituted 1842
United to St Dunstan in the West 1886
Rebuilt 1842, sold 1882
PR's in GL: baptisms 1842-86, marriages 1845-85
Partial index to baptisms and marriages on IGI
ST VEDAST FOSTER LANE
Situated: Cheapside, EC2
Destroyed 1666, rebuilt by Wren 1695-1700
PR's in GL: marriages 1754-1837 & 1954-81, banns 1754-1809, burials 1813-53
The registers for baptisms 1558-c.1940, marriages 1559-1754 & 1838-c.1940, burials 1558-1812, were damaged beyond repair by enemy action in 1940.
Later baptisms register from c.1940 retained by incumbent.
Partial index to baptisms and marriages 1558-1875 on IGI
Tel: 020 7606 3998
TEMPLE CHURCH
Temple, EC4
Registers from 1628 held by the Master, Temple, London EC4
Tel: 020 7353 8559
WHITEFRIARS PRECINCT
No separate registers maintained. Pre-1842 registration for the inhabitants of this precinct are found in the registers of St Bride Fleet Street and St Dunstan in the West. In 1842 the precinct was included in the chapelry of Holy Trinity Gough Square.

Use your browsers back button to return to previous page
or return to GenDocs main pages.

Copyright 1996-2003 John Hitchcock. All rights reserved.