The following is a list of the principal Roman Catholic Churches in London.
Sources: Dickens' Dictionary of London 1888 and Catholic Churches of London by Denis Evinson 1998.
- Cathedral of the Most Precious Blood, Victoria Street, City of Westminster, London SW1.
- Christ Church, Eltham High Street, Eltham, London SE9.
Mission commenced 1870. Present church opened 1912.
- Church of the Holy Ghost, Nightingale Sqaure, Balham, London SW12.
Convent chapel dedicated 1890. Present church opened 1897.
- Corpus Christi, Maiden Row, London WC2E.
- Corpus Christi, Trent Road, Brixton Hill, Lambeth, London SW2.
Mission established 1881. Present church opened 1887.
- Guardian Angels, Mile End Road, Mile End, London E3.
Independant chapel aquired and opened for Catholic use 1868. Present church opened 1903.
- Holy Apostles, Winchester Street, Pimlico, Westminster, London SW1.
Opened as a Catholic church in former Wesleyan Chapel in Claverton Street 1917. Destroyed 1941. Reopened in 1957.
- Holy Cross, Ashington Road, Parsons Green, London SW6.
Opened as school chapel 1884.
- Holy Cross, Sangley Road, Catford, London SE16.
Church opened 1904.
- Holy Ghost and St Stephen, Ashchurch Grove, Shepherds Bush, London W12.
Mission founded 1889, first chapel in Askew Crescent. Second chapel opened in Rylett Road 1892. Present church opened 1904.
- Holy Redeemer and St Thomas Moore, Cheyne Row, Chelsea, London SW3.
- Holy Trinity, Brook Green, Hammersmith, London W6.
Church opened 1853.
- Immaculate Heart of Mary and St Dominic, Ballance Road, Homerton, London E9.
Mission founded 1873 and chapel opened 1874. Church opend 1877 but badly damaged by enemy action 1941. Present church rebuilt 1955-57.
- Immaculate Heart of Mary, Brompton Road - see The Oratory.
- Immaculate Heart of Mary, Stafford Road, Kilburn West, London NW6.
Chapel of ease opened 1950 in former Methodist church built 1880.
- Notre Dame de France (French Church), Leicester Place, Leicester Square, London WC2.
- Our Immaculate Lady of Victories (also known as St Mary's), Clapham Park Road, Clapham, London SW4.
Established 1847 in house known as St Anne's. Present church opened 1851
- Our Lady Help of Christians, Cresswell Park, Blackheath, London SE3.
Chapel established 1873. Present church opened 1891.
- Our Lady Help of Christians, Lady Margaret Road, Kentish Town, London NW5.
Chapel opened 1846. Followed by a temporary church in Gospel Terrace dedicated to St Alexis. Temporary chapel dedicated to Our Lady Help of Christians opened 1856 in Junction Road. New church opened 1859 in Fortress Place. Present church converted from Methodist church 1970.
- Our Lady Immaculate, Commercial Road, Limehouse, London E14.
Mission started 1881. Temporary chapel erected Commercial Road and Turner's Place. Present church opened 1934.
- Our Lady Queen of Heaven, Queensway, London W2.
Built 1868 as United Methodist Free Church. Opened as Catholic church 1954.
- Our Lady Star of the Seas, Crooms Hill, Greenwich, London SE10.
Chapel opened 1793 for Catholic seamen from the Royal Hospital. Present church opened 1851.
- Our Lady and St Catherine of Siena, Bow Road, Bow, London E2.
Church opened 1870.
- Our Lady and St Joseph, Balls Pond Road, Kingsland, London N1.
Chapel opened 1855 in Culford Road. Present church opened 1964.
- Our Lady and St Peter, Victoria Drive, Wimbledon Common, London SW19.
House converted to church 1962. Present church opened 1971.
- Our Lady and St Philip Neri, Sydenham New Road, Sydenham, London SE26.
Tempory church opened 1872. First permanant church opened 1882 but was destroyed 1940 by enemy action. Present church opened 1958.
- Our Lady of Czestochowa and St Casimir (Polish Church), Devonia Road, Islington, London N1.
Mission established 1904 in Cambridge Road, Bethnal Green. Present church established 1930 in former New Church College built 1852.
- Our Lady of Dolours, Fulham Road, London SW10.
Mission established in Stewarts Grove 1864. Present church opened 1875.
- Our Lady of Fatima, Commonwealth Avenue, White City, London W12.
Mission founded 1951. Church opened 1965.
- Our Lady of Good Counsel, Bouverie Road, Stoke Newington, London N16.
Church opened 1888. Present church opened 1928.
- Our Lady of Grace, Charleton Road, Charlton, London SE7.
Opened as a chapel 1903. Present church opened 1906.
- Our Lady of Hal, Arlington Road, Camden Town, London NW1.
Church founded to serve Belgian refugees in 1914-18. Present church built 1933.
- Our Lady of La Salette and St Joseph, Melior Street, Bermondsey, London SE1.
Mission began 1848 in Webb Street. Present church opened 1861.
- Our Lady of Lourdes and St Vincent de Paul, Harrow Road, London W9.
Opened to the public 1893.
- Our Lady of Lourdes, Burnt Ash Hill, Lee, London SE12.
First church opened in Manor Lane 1892. Present church opned 1939.
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St Joseph, Battersea Park Road, Battersea Park, London SW8.
Church opened 1869.
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St Simon Stock, Kensington Church Street, Kensington, London W8
Established in 1862 in Kensington Square, chapel in Duke's Lane opened 1863. Church opened 1866 in Church Street severely damaged during 1939-45. Present church opened 1959.
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Stephendale Road, Hammersmith, London SW6.
- Our Lady of Pity and St Simon Stock, Hazlewell Road, Putney, London SW15.
Opened in former Primitive Methodist Chapel in Coopers Arms Lane. Present church opened 1906.
- Our Lady of Sorrows, Cirencester Street, Paddington, London W2.
- Our Lady of Sorrows, Friary Road, Peckham, London SE15.
Chapel opened 1854. Church opened 1866.
- Our Lady of Victories, High Street, Kensington, London W8.
Mission established 1794 at Kensington House. New chapel errected in Holland Street 1812. (Pro Cathedral), opened in Newland Terrace 1869 but destroyed by enemey action in 1940. Present church opened 1958.
- Our Lady of the Assumption and St Gregory, Warwick Street, London W1.
Descended from Bavarian Embassy chapel. Established 1730 as the chapel of the Portuguese legation in Golden Square. Present church opened 1790.
- Our Lady of the Assumption, Links Road, Tooting, London SW17.
Temporary church opened 1963. Present church opened 1990.
- Our Lady of the Assumption, Victoria Park Square, Bethnal Green, London E2.
Mass first celabrated 1901 in small shop on corner of Digby Street and Globe Road. Temporary chapel later opened in North Passage, Green Street (now Roman Road). In 1904 another temporary chapel in Cambridge Road. Present church opened 1912.
- Our Lady of the Holy Souls, Bosworth Road, Kensal New Town, London W10.
Established in 1862, school chapel opened 1872. Present church opened 1881.
- Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, St Elmo's Road, Surrey Docks, Rotherhithe, London SE16.
Descendant of the Church of the Immaculate Conception opened in Rotherhithe 1861. When chapel opened in Paradise Street in 1892, the church and presbytery of the Immaculate Conception became a convent. The church was destroyed in 1942 by enemy action. Present church opened 1988.
- Our Lady of the Rosary, Brixton Road, Brixton, London SW9.
Opened 1905 as St Helen in Robsart Street. Brixton Independant Church built 1870 acquired and converted for Catholic use 1953.
- Our Lady of the Rosary, Old Marylebone Road, Marylebone, London NW1.
Chapel founded 1848. Present church opened 1964.
- Our Lady, Lisson Grove, St John's Wood, London NW8.
- Precious Blood, O'Meara Street, Borough, Southwark, London SE1.
- Sacred Heart of Jesus, Eden Grove, Holloway Road, Holloway, London N7.
Mission founded 1854, chapel in Cornwall Place opened 1855. Present church opened 1870.
- Sacred Heart of Jesus, Quex Road, Kilburn, London NW6.
Opened for use 1879.
- Sacred Heart, New Road / Knatchbull Road, Camberwell, London SE5.
Mission opened 1860 in Crespigny Lodge, Denmark Hill. Subsequent chapel in Chepstow Cottage, another in Thomas Street later called Becket Street. First church opened on present site 1872 but destroyed by enemy action 1941. Present church opened 1953.
- Southwark Cathedral - see St George's Cathedral.
- St Aloysius, Phoenix Road, Eversholt Street, Somers Town, London NW1.
The parish and church are descendants of one of the eight French chapels listed in the Laity's Directory 1790s. Chapel dedicated to St Aloysius opened in Claredon Square 1808. Present church opened 1968.
- St Andrew Bobola (Polish Church), Leysfield Road, Hammersmith, London W12.
Opened for Catholic use in 1961 in former Presbyterian Church errected 1870.
- St Anne, Kennington Lane, Vauxhall, London SE11.
Mission established 1886 in Vauxhall Walk. Moved to Harleyford Road 1892. Present church opened 1903.
- St Anne, Laxton Place, Camden, London NW1.
Opened 1857 as a school chapel in Little Albany Street. Present church opened 1970.
- St Anne, Underwood Road, Spitalfields, Tower Hamlets, London E1.
School chapel opened 1825. Church opened 1855.
- St Anselm and St Cecilia (Sardinia Chapel), Sardinia Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2.
1715 Scicilian chapel becoming Sardinia chapel 1722. Functioned as a missionary church from 1799 under the name of St Anselm's from 1852, adding the dedication to St Cecilia in 1866. Present church building opened 1909. Baptism and marriage registers with rector.
- St Anselm, Balham High Road, Tooting Bec, London SW17.
Former Weslyan Chapel aquired 1905 for Catholic use. Present church opened 1933.
- St Augustine, Fulham Palace Road, Hammersmith, W6.
Mission opened 1903 in Comeragh Road. First church in Fulham Palce Road opened 1903, present church opened 1916.
- St Bartholomew, Hepworth Road, Norbury, Lambeth, London SW16.
Church opened 1908.
- St Bede, Thornton Road, Clapham Park, Lambeth, London SW12.
Mission established 1903. Church opened 1906.
- St Benet, Abbey Grove, Abbey Wood, London SE2.
Established as a convent in Woolwich Road 1904. Present church opened 1909.
- St Boniface (German Church), Alder Street, Tower Hamlets, London E1.
Chapel opened in Great St Thomas Apostle Street 1809. Dissenting Chapel in Friar Street adapted for Catholic use 1859. Former Zion chapel on present site (then named Union Street) aquired 1862. New church opened on site in 1875 badly damaged in 1940 by enemy action. Church reopened 1959.
- St Boniface, Mitcham Road, Tooting, London SW17.
Chapel opened 1899 in Hereford Lodge. Present church opened 1907.
- St Casimir (Lithuanian Church), The Oval, Tower Hamlets, London E2.
Mission founded 1901 with church on corner of Christian Street and Cable Street. Present church opened 1912.
- St Catherine Laboure, Woolwich Road, Woolwich, London SE7.
Mission founded 1950, church opened 1961.
- St Charles Borromeo, Ogle Street, London W1.
Opened in 1863. Ogle Street formerly Howland Mews.
- St David, Finchale Road, Abbey Wood, London SE2.
- St Domonic's Priory, Southampton Road, Haverstock Hill, London NW5.
Opened 1862 as temporary public chapel. Present church opened 1883.
- St Edmund, West Ferry Road, Millwall, London E14.
A school chapel opened 1846. Present church opened 1874.
- St Ethelreda, Ely Place, Holborn, London EC1. Fathers of Charity.
First pre-Reformation chapel restored to Catholic usgae in England. Built c.1300.
- St Francis of Assisi, Pottery Lane, Portland Place, Portland Road, Notting Hill, London W11.
Opened 1860 in the Potteries (later called Notting Dale and now Notting Hill).
- St Francis of Sales and St Gertrude, Larkhill Lane, Stockwell, Lambeth, London SW4.
Church opened 1903.
- St Gabriel, Holloway Road, Upper Holloway, Islington, London N19.
Mission founded 1928. United in 1938 to form parish of St Mellitus and St Gabriel. Present church opened 1967.
- St George's Cathedral, Lambeth Road, Southwark, London SE1.
Mass was said in Southwark from at least 1767. Chapel opened 1793 in London Road. Cathedral opened 1848.
- St Gertrude, Debnams Road, Bermondsey, London SE16.
- St Gregory, Garratt Lane, Earlsfield, London SW18.
Opened 1904 but destroyed be enemy action 1944. Present church opened 1957.
- St James the Great, Elm Grove, Peckham Rye, London SE15.
- St James, Spanish Place, George Street / Blandford Street, London W1.
Chapel erected in Manchester Square 1793-6, demolished 1880. present church opened 1890.
- St Joan of Arc, Highbury Park, Islington, N5.
First church opened 1920 in Kelross Road, closed due to war damage. Present church opened 1962.
- St John Fisher, Kidbrooke Park Road, Kidbrooke, London SE3.
Mission founded 1961, church opened 1964.
- St John of Jerusalem, Great Ormond Street, London WC.
Not listed in Catholic Churches of London.
- St John the Baptist, King Edward's Road, Hackney, London E9.
Temporary chapel in existence 1842 in London Lane. Church opened in The Triangle 1845 but badly damaged 1939-45. Present church opened 1956.
- St John the Evangelist (Polish Church), St John's Avenue, Putney, London SW15.
Former Anglican church erected 1859 aquired by the Polish community and dedicated to Catholic use 1977.
- St John the Evangelist, Duncan Terrace, City Road, Islington, London N1.
School chapel built 1839. Present church opened 1843.
- St Joseph's Retreat, Highgate Hill, Highgate, London N19.
First church opened 1859. Present church opened 1889.
- St Joseph, Herbert Road, Shooters Hill, London SE18.
Former Methodist church built 1886 aquired and opened for Catholic use in 1970.
- St Joseph, Lamb's Passage, Bunhill Row, London EC1.
Listed in Catholic Directory from 1850. Present church built 1901.
- St Joseph, Pelton Road, Greenwich East, London SE10.
Privately owned chapel opened 1793 was closed 1851. Reopened 1868 for Irish Catholics in East Greenwich. Present church opened 1881.
- St Joseph, Roehampton Lane, Roehampton, London SW15.
Chapel opened 1865. Church opened 1881.
- St Jude, Blurton Road, Clapton Park, London E5.
Mission founded from St Domonic's, Homerton. Separate parish established 1965 in former methodist church of 1885.
- St Margaret Clitherow, Kingswood Drive, Dulwich Wood Park, London SE19.
Mission founded 1952. Present church opened 1974.
- St Mary Magdalen, East Hill, Wandsworth, London SW18.
- St Mary Magdelen, Howson Road, Brockley, London SE4.
Mission established 1895. Present church opened 1899 but extensively damageed during Blitz.
- St Mary of the Angels, Moorhouse Road / Westmoreland Road, Bayswater, London W2.
Mission established 1849, school chapel opened 1851, present church opened 1857.
- St Mary's Priory, Fulham Road, South Kensington, (see Oratory).
- St Mary, Cadogan Street, Sloane Street, Chelsea, London SW3.
First church erected in Pavilion Road 1812. Present church opened 1879.
- St Mary, Holly Place, Church Row, Hampstead, London NW3.
Chapel opened 1816.
- St Mary, Moorfields, Eldon Street, London EC2.
Chapel opened in 1686, but suspended in 1689. From 1736 there was a chapel in Ropemaker's Alley. Replaced in 1820 in Finsbury Square but pulled down in 1899. Present church in Eldon Street built 1903. Previously in Hackney, from 1994 became part of the City of London following boundary changes.
- St Matthew, Norwood High Street, Norwood West, Lambeth, London SE27.
Church opened 1905.
- St Mellitus, Tollington Park, Islington, London N4.
Mission founded 1925. Chapel in Everleigh Street opened 1938. Present church opened for Catholic use in 1959 in former New Court Congregational Church opened 1871.
- St Monica's Priory, Hoxton Square, Hoxton, London N1.
Church opened 1865.
- St Patrick, Cornwall Road, Waterloo, London SE1.
School chapel founded 1897. Present church opened 1915.
- St Patrick, Green Bank, Wapping, London E1.
- St Patrick, Hector Street, Plumstead, London SE18.
Mission founded 1890. Church opened 1893 in Conway Road. Present church opened 1969.
- St Patrick, Soho Square, London W1.
Chapel opened 1792. Present church rebuilt and opened 1893.
- St Peter (Italian Church), Clerkenwell Road, Hatton Garden, London EC1.
- St Peter and the Guardian Angels, Paradise Street, Rotherhithe, London SE16.
Chapel opened in Rotherhithe Street 1858 in adapted rooms of large house. Adjacent Church of the Immaculate Conception opened 1861. School chapel opened in Paradise Street 1892. Present church opened 1903.
- St Peter, Woolwich New Road, Woolwich, London SE18.
Mission opened 1816 in St Mary Street. Church opened 1843.
- St Pius X, St Charles Square, Kensington, London W10.
Mission founded 1937 in college chapel of the Society of the Sacred Heart. College destroyed in 1941, chapel became parish church 1955.
- St Saviour, and Sts John the Baptist and Evangelist, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham, London SE13.
Founded from Blackheath 1894 with Mass held in a house in Marley Road. School chapel opened 1898. Present church opened 1909.
- St Scholastica, Kenninghall Road, Clapton, London E5.
Mission founded 1862 in London Road. Chapel opened 1879. Present church opened 1963.
- St Thomas More, Henry Road, Manor House, London N4.
Church opened 1975.
- St Thomas More, Lordship Lane, Dulwich East, London SE22.
Chapel opened 1879. Present church opened 1929.
- St Thomas More, Maresfield Gardens, Swiss Cottage, London NW3.
Founded 1938. New church opened 1969.
- St Thomas a Becket, West Hill, Wandsworth, London SW18.
Mission began 1841. School chapel opened 1847. Present church opened 1895.
- St Thomas of Canterbury, Rylson Road, Fulham, London SW6.
Mission opened 1842 in Parsons Green road. Present church opened 1848.
- St Thomas the Apostle, Evelina Road, Nunhead, London SE15.
Church opened 1905.
- St Vincent de Paul, Altenburg Gardens, Clapham Common, London SW11.
- St Wilfred, Lorrimore Road, Kennington Park, London SE17.
Chapel opened 1904. Church opened 1916.
- St William of York, Brockley Park, Forest Hill, London SE23.
Church opened 1906.
- Sts John Fisher & St Thomas More, Well Hall Road, Eltham, London SE9.
Mission founded 1929. Present church opened 1936.
- Sts Mary and Joseph, Canton Street, Poplar, London E14.
School chapel opened 1816 in Wade Street. New chapel in Wade Street opened 1835. Enlarged church opend 1856 was destroyed by enemy action 1940. Present church opened 1954.
- Sts Mary and Michael, Lukin Street, Commercial Road, Tower Hamlets, London E1.
The modern parish is descended from the Virgina Street mission. The chapel in Virgina Street was in eighteenth century part of hospital for foreign sailors. This chapel was destroyed in Gordon Riots of 1780. New chapel opened. Church opened 1856.
- Sts Peter and Paul, Amwell Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1.
Mission established 1842, chapel in Saffron Hill. Present church built 1835 for Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, opened as Catholic church 1847.
- Sts Philip and James, Poplar Walk, Herne Hill, London SE24.
Church opened 1906.
- Sts Simon and Jude, Hillside Road, Streatham Hill, London SW2.
Church opened 1906.
- The Annunciation (French Chapel), Little George Street, Portman Square.
Not listed in Catholic Churches of London.
- The Annunciation, Dunfield Road, Beckenham Hill, Lewisham, London SE6.
Opened for Mass in 1928. Present church opened 1964.
- The Assumption, High Street, Deptford, London SE8.
Mission founded 1842. School chapel opened in Old King Street 1843. Present church opened 1845.
- The Assumption, Warwick Street.
Not listed in Catholic Churches of London.
- The Blessed Sacrament, Copenhagen Street, Camden, London N1.
- The English Martyrs, Mitcham Lane, Streatham, London SW16.
Mission commenced 1888 at convent at Russell House. Church completed 1897.
- The English Martyrs, Prescot Street, Tower Hill, London E1.
Temporary chapel opened 1865 in Paston Row. School chapel opened Prescot Street 1872. Present church opened 1876.
- The English Martyrs, Rodney Road, Walworth, London SE17.
School chapel opened in Northampton Place 1890. Present church opened 1904.
- The Holy Cross, The Slade, Plumstead Common, London SE18.
- The Holy Name and Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, Bow Common Lane, Bow Common, London E3.
Temporary chapel opened in Devons Road 1891. Present church opened 1894 and after extensive damage by enemy action in 1944 was restored and opened in 1957.
- The Immaculate Conception (Jesuit Fathers), Farm Street, Berkeley Square, London W1.
Opened for use in 1846.
- The Most Holy Trinity, Dockhead, Bermondsey, London SE1.
First chapel built in Bermondsey in Salisbury Lane destroyed by the Gordon rioters 1780, but rebuilt. New church opened 1835 in Parker's Row but destroyed by enemey action 1945. Present church opened 1960.
- The Oratory (Immaculate Heart of Mary), Brompton Road, London SW7.
Established in Brompton 1854. Present church opened 1884.
- The Resurrection of the Lord, Kirkdale, Sydenham, London SE26.
Church opened 1972.
- The Sacred Heart, Trott Street, Battersea, London SW11.
Temporary church opened before 1887. Present church opened 1893.
- Westminster Cathedral - see Cathedral of the Most Precious Blood.