My thanks to the exhibitors for their entries. There are a few of observations I would make, firstly I was disappointed to find so many ‘hare’ feet which I think is a serious fault in an Irish Setter, a number of dogs with level or incomplete scissor bites and quite a lot of small, almond shaped eyes. Our Standard states “like an UNSHELLED almond” which is quite a different proposition. That said I was delighted with my winners all of which had excellent muscular conditioning. On balance I thought there to be more depth of quality in the bitches than in the dogs.
Minor Puppy Dog: (11:3ab). A nice class of promising babes all at differing stages of development.
1. McDonaghs RONZALDA DON MAGNIFICO. Upstanding youngster, just needs to grow into his head at the moment, but body properties very good. Movement could be more positive.
2. Oakleys CASPIANS ZAPATA: Lovely type of dog, well shaped head and soft expression. Nicely angulated with good rib just failed in couplings to 1. Movement a little erratic.
1. Lucas BRAIDMOUNT GENTLE GUY: Honest dog just waiting for his head chiselling to
break through, no coarseness to him, lovely free flow over neck into shoulders,
excellent front and rear angulation, goods shape and spring to rib. Good feet. Moved
with drive carrying his tail well. I shall watch his progress with interest.
2. Symons COARNEY CRUISER: Pleasing head and expression, well balanced throughout,
would like a little more sternum and feet could be tighter. Moved okay.
Ross’s AUTUMNGLOW LEGEND.
SPECIAL YEARLING DOG (11:3ab)
HIGHLANDER JW: Dog
with a lot to like about him, although I did find his head
to be a little strong for me in skull and would like more
length to foreface. Well
arched neck into good shoulders and upperarm, nicely ribbed
back with correct shape. Strong
loin and wide nicely angulated hindquarters, good
shape to croup and tail setting.
Good feet. Moved
with drive, well presented.
2. Boutell & Humphreys IXIA TIMBER: Pleasing head with soft expression and nicely shaped skull into clean neck and shoulders. Good front assembly nicely ribbed back. A little steep in croup which spoiled his tail setting and carriage. Good feet, moved okay.
3. Gristwood & Phillips MORCHALE GLADERUNNER.
GRADUATE DOG (17:4ab)
1. Meadows GWENDARIFF MOET ET CHANDON: Super, unexaggerated youngster of lovely quality. Best of heads, soft expression, well shaped skull and well chiselled foreface, clean through neck and shoulders into nicely angulated forequarters, well sprung and shaped ribs carried back to strong loin. Balanced rear assembly, good feet. Carried himself well with gently sloping topline. Moved with drive. Well presented.
3. Andrews POPESWOOD PAGEANT AT BONHOMIE.
POST GRADUATE DOG (8:5ab)
1. Lorrimers KARIDELL CONNOISSEUR: Lovely dog from any angle, presents an elegant racy outline. Pleasing head and expression, well shaped neck, good front and rear assemblies. Good shape and spring to rib carried back to strong loin. Moved well in harmony with his handler.
2. Ringes: TARDELLI THE WANDERER: Balanced well constructed dog throughout. Nice head and soft expression, well shaped neck clean into shoulders. Good topline held on the move.
3. Johnsons OBI WAN KENOBI.
MID LIMIT DOG: (8:0ab),
1. Lutos RAPPARTY WINTER FLAME: Favourite of mine. I have watched him mature and think he just keeps getting better and more co-operative. Balanced outline, refined yet masculine. Pleasing head and expression correct eye shape low set ears, excellent body properties with balanced angulation front and rear, super width through hindquarters. In lovely coat and condition. Moved well with drive.
2. Knivetons ORSTONE INTERCEPTOR: Another super dog who I have admired since a puppy. He is fulfilling his promise. Super head, soft expression, low set ears, clean, nicely arched neck into good front angulation, deep, well sprung ribs carried back to strong arched loin and wide well angulated hindquarters, good feet. Presents an elegant outline but today just didn’t quite have the balance and maturity of 1. Moved well if a little proud of his tail.
3. Edwards CEDRUS SOLITAIRE.
LIMIT DOG (9:1ab)
1. Ritchies GWENDARIFF DOM PERIGNON JW: To say that this dog is well presented would be something of an understatement, his presentation is immaculate. However, underneath it there lies a very well constructed,conditioned dog. Racy in outline. Well chiselled head with good eye shape and soft expression, low set ears. Clean, arched neck into well laid back shoulders and good upper arm. Good bone and the best of feet. Ribs well sprung and shaped carried well back to strong arched loin. Good width to hindquarters,nicely bent stifles, low set hocks, with strong straight pasterns. Impressive on the move he carries himself well and covers the ground easily. Delighted to award him R.C.C.
2. Wicks POPESWOOD PIE IN THE SKY AT BIRGUMA. Honest dog throughout pleasant head and expression, well angulated front, good depth and spring to ribs, well coupled to hindquarters, nicely bent stifles with good length through them. A little flat in croup and movement not as positive as 1.
3. Roffeys LAURELHACH GOLDEN PROMISE OF AUTUMNWOOD.
1. Gurneys DANAWAY FORTUNE TELLER JW: If ever a dog was exactly my type then this would be it. Has everything I look for. Good size, elegant, racy outline with slightly sloping topline. His head in profile shows lovely balance and when viewed from the front has wide nostrils through to well chiselled foreface and the softest well shaped eyes. The balance between foreface and skull is ideal showing masculinity without coarseness. Pronounced occipital protuberance, through to clean nicely arched neck. His angulation front and rear is balanced and unexaggerated, good bone and great feet, deep well sprung ribs carried well back to arched loin and wide hindquarters, well bent stifles with good length from hip to hock and strong straight pasterns. Moved as his construction dictated with light effortless strides. I have never seen him look as good as he did today and has now fulfilled his early promise. Delighted to award him the C.C.
Botts SH CH SHENANAGIN SOME
MIGHT SAY ITS BARDONHILL JW. Another elegant dog of
excellent type. Pleasing
head and expression, softest of eyes, well shaped skull. Good
arch to neck, well angulated upper arm, well ribbed up,
strong arched loin good width to hindquarters with good
croup and tail set, well bent stifles, strong straight
pasterns, feet okay. Moved
well with drive and style.
Milligan-Bott & Botts
SH CH THENDARA DON CORLEONE.
PUPPY BITCH (8:5ab)
1. Prangles HEATHCLARE MAGIC MOMENTS: Pretty babe of lovely type.Soft expression good balance in head, low set ears. Good bone, excellent front angulation, good body properties, wide well angulated hindquarters. Well made feet. Confident happy mover. Best Puppy.
2. Waddells RIQITTA TAMARILLA, Rangy youngster,soft expression, well shaped neck, front needs to develop. Overall good body qualities, good width through hindquarters.
3. Butler-Holleys SHANDWICK MAGIE MAY.
PUPPY BITCH (9:1ab)
1. Prangles HEATHCLARE MAGIC MOMENTS
2. Botts ANLORY BMIBABY BARDONHILL; Beautiful head and expression. Nicely laid back shoulders and pleasing body properties. Good width through hindquarters, moved well.
3. Birchs MOYNA PEACH BLOSSOM.
JUNIOR BITCH (10:3ab)
1. Pickersgills BARLEYDALE LULU WITH MAOLRUADHAN, Racy outline. Good head and expression, , nicely angulated front and rear, well sprung & shaped in rib, arched loin good feet. Moved well.
2. Patersons HARREDS BRIDIE, Well made youngster, unexaggerated. Good head with soft expression, well shaped neck into good front assembly, good body properties, nicely angulated hindquarters, good feet. Moved well.
3. Pollard & Cookes RANALEEN SCARLETT RIBBON.
1. Limpus KARIDELL ENDLESS KISS JW. Lovely, young bitch, elegant, racy outline. Good head soft expression good eye shape. Well shaped neck flowing smoothly into nicely angulated shoulders and front assembly. Well ribbed up with good spring and shape. Strong arched loin to balanced hindquarters and good tail set. Would like better feet. Moved well with drive.
2. Watertons LINWOOD STRANDS OF SILK AT SANDSTEAM. Another good youngster, pretty head and good expression, well made throughout. Nicely angulated front and rear. Just preferred the balance of 1. Moved soundly.
Ritchie’s GWENDARIFF POP
2. Muirs ROMARNE MELINDA JW. Another lovely youngster. Sweetest head and expression, well shaped neck fitting smoothly into shoulders and good forehand angulation. Well ribbed up with good depth, strong couplings, good width to hindquarters nicely bent stifles, just preferred croup of 1. Moved well.
3. Rance & Oakleys CASPIANS MODESTY.
1. Powis AMBERWAVE SPANGLE. Pretty bitch with good balance and racy outline. Soft expression and pleasing head shape, nicely arched neck fitting smoothly to correct and unexaggerated front assembly deep well sprung ribs carried back to arched loin and wide balanced rear hindquarters. Good feet. Moved with excellent balance and style.
2. Butler-Holley BARDONHILL WISHUWERERE. Lovely type of bitch with all the qualities of her breeding. Super head and expression lovely shaped eye and raised brows good body properties throughout with well laid back shoulders and strong nicely angulated hindquarters, good finish to croup, Just made 1 a little better in upper arm angulation. Good feet and moved soundly with drive.
3. Muirs ROMARNE MELISSA JW.
MID LIMIT BITCH
2. Prices SEVERNVALE SEVENTH HEAVEN JW. Liked the balance of this bitch in outline Pleasing head plains soft expression . Strong arched neck fitting smoothly into shoulders, nicely ribbed back, good width through hindquarters and good length from hip to hock, strong rear pasterns, good feet. Moved with drive and showed temperament.
3. Framptons COUNTRY BELLE OF WENDOVER.
1. Warners DANAWAY CLARA BELLE . Well made bitch of excellent, unexaggerated, proportions. Pretty head with soft expression and raised brows. Clean through neck into excellent front angulation, good body properties, matching well angled, wide hind assembly. Good feeet. Moved soundly and well balanced.
2. Roberts & Prangle COLANME RED HOT MERCEDES. Super bitch of excellent type. has substance without coarseness. Pleasing head and expression. Good balanced angulation throughout, good bone and feet. Moved okay.
3. Sturrocks FORFARIAN IMPULSE.
Ellis SH CH BRAYVILLE
LEADING LADY JW. This well known bitch pulled out all the
stops to win this strong class. Racy, elegant outline.
Pleasing head with soft expression and raised brows,
has more work in her foreface in maturity than when I last
judged her. Nicely arched neck fitting smoothly into well
laid back shoulders, good depth, shape and spring to ribs
which she carries well back to arched loin.
Good shape to croup and
width to hindquarters with nicely turned stifles and
strong short pasterns. Good feet.
On the move just used herself so well with lashing
tail, balanced footfalls and enthusiasm. Delighted to give
her the CC. and BOB.
2. Limpus SH CH SHENANAGIN THAT’S IT TO KARIDELL. Beautiful bitch with racy quality outline. Pleasing head and expression, clean, arched neck, into good forehand, good body with deep well shaped ribs, arched loin and strong hindquarters, good shape to croup. her movement was balanced and ground covering. Pleased to award her R.C.C.
3. Powis SH.CH. AMBERWAVE DAZZLE.
Magi Henderson (Judge).